GreaseSpot Cafe

What Happened?

GeorgeStGeorge

Until just an hour ago, I haven't been able to access this site for three days. I know ChattyKathy also had the same problem, but it's clear that many (if not most) of you had no such problem. Was I on "double secret probation"? :lol:

Seriously, any ideas what happened? I didn't do anything differently this evening; just all of a sudden, I'm back in!

George

George,

You should have behaved; it could have been six days.

Actually, it seems that GSC is now being hosted on a different server, and it took time for the changed location of the domain name to “propagate” over the internet. My ISP apparently incorporated the change this afternoon, though I managed to get to the forum a little sooner using anonymouse.org .

It should have been a simple thing. GT moved everything onto the new site earlier in the week. And the transfer was fairly transparent until I realized I hadn't updated one file at Godaddy, when Garth notified me saturday morning.

We changed the NS server before noon. The propagation takes about 24 hours to complete. The larger Hosts update their DNS servers hourly and some of the smaller Yeehaw hosts only do it once a day. About 40 or 50% seemed to be fine (Of the folks that I spoke with) The rest should have been able to get in by Sunday.

Well for whatever reason, Godaddy didn't finish the process on Saturday (Office party probably). They notified me about 1pm today that it had been finished. Basically that is when they heard back from all the NS servers around the globe.

So that's it, George in a nutshell. I figured the reason that you weren't here is that you got in an early line for the Green Hornet or something else Green.

Ach, I thought the site had vanished forever despite Paw saying it was to stay open for just a little longer. I missed this place! So glad it's up again!