GreaseSpot Cafe

Printing off topics

Twinky

There used to be a button where readers could print a topic and it would present in an editable Word document - could be edited, printed, saved.

(Okay that was a few migrations ago, Paw has shifted this site a bit since I first got here and printed off screeds to read at leisure because I couldn't believe my eyes at what I was reading.)

But how can I now print off topics (or more accurately save relevant bits) from ongoing topics here?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2011 at 0:58 PM, Twinky said:

There used to be a button where readers could print a topic and it would present in an editable Word document - could be edited, printed, saved.

(Okay that was a few migrations ago, Paw has shifted this site a bit since I first got here and printed off screeds to read at leisure because I couldn't believe my eyes at what I was reading.)

But how can I now print off topics (or more accurately save relevant bits) from ongoing topics here?

Hi Twinky - this is an old thread, but I just now noticed it  - not sure if you ever found a solution to printing off topics - but here's what I use – also will include software details…

My laptop has Windows 10 and I also have Microsoft Office 2010. I normally prefer Firefox as a browser but for printing off threads it works out better using Microsoft Edge (aka the old Internet Explorer). If you’re working with a Mac I can’t help you – not familiar with that….Also this may not be what you’re look for because this format does not allow you to edit or update it – if you want those features you might try Microsoft XPS Document Writer (also in drop down printer options if you have Microsoft Office); printing to PDF works for me because I usually use it on older threads and I don’t want to alter any of it; if an old thread ever gets bumped up to current and I want those newer posts I will delete the existing PDF and print off a new PDF with the current date along with the thread title.

1.    Open up Microsoft Edge, go to Grease Spot forums.

2.    Go to a particular thread…for example Farewell Rosie! (by Twinky – hey, that’s you  :redface2:)

3.    Once on that page, look at the top bar all the way to the right – on my computer there are three dots – if you move your mouse over them it says more – left click on that for a drop down box – then click on Print.

4.    That brings up a print options box – the first option at top shows you the default printer for your computer – mine shows my HP printer – so I click on the down arrow and scroll thru other print options – I choose Microsoft Print to PDF – and then can save it on my hard drive, email it or burn it onto a CD; I also have a free downloadable PDF maker called PrimoPDF – but found Microsoft Print to PDF does a neater job. In Margins I set them to Narrow.

5.    Then click on Print button at bottom left.

6.    That will bring up file save box so you can name the file and designate where you want to save it. I usually name the file the same name as the thread (except I leave out any odd characters like asterisks, semicolons, etc. and I also add the date I’m “printing it” out. In this example it would be Farewell Rosie started by Twinky_as of Jan 18th 2017.