GreaseSpot Cafe

Untoward Secrecy

skyrider

Twi harbors a culture of untoward secrecy.

Hidden from public view, the secret world of wierwille had an inner circle of accomplices who whitewashed his sins. In this hidden culture were perks, payoffs, and privileges of power and control over others.

Martindale, too, was intoxicated with this access to power and privilege. And now, Rivenbark controls the levers of power. Years ago, I predicted that she'd hold onto the presidency for as long as possible. Perhaps, another 10 years?

Many hold the view that twi was/is considered a cult because of it's stance on the trinity or the dead are not alive now. Sheeesh. I never believed either of these two "twi doctrines" BEFORE taking the pfal class. That's not it.

Isolation, coercion and untoward secrecy classify twi as a cult....a dark sinister world.

Click Here

<snip>

Problems with extremist leadership can be more difficult to spot. The most tragic cult of the last century was the Rev. Jim Jones's Peoples Temple, which ended with mass murder and suicide in the jungles of Guyana in 1978. Only a few early observers understood Jones as dangerously erratic. Known for his racially diverse San Francisco congregation, Jones was widely feted on the local political scene in the 1970s. He was not some West Coast New Ager gone bad. He emerged instead from the mainstream Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) pulpit, which sometimes lent a reassuringly Middle-American tone to his sermons.

Yet every coercive religious group harbors one telltale trait: untoward secrecy. As opposed to a cult, a religious culture ought to be as simple to enter or exit, for members or observers, as any free nation. Members should experience no impediment to relationships, ideas or travel, and the group's finances should be reasonably transparent. Its doctrine need not be conventional—but it should be knowable to outsiders. Absent those qualities, an unorthodox religion can descend into something darker.

• Upvote 1

I remember entering into a conversation with a psychologist by profession, and discussing TWI specifically and extreme fundamentalist Christian organizations as a corollary. When the topic swung around to secrecy, he made an interesting point. He said that people do not hide that which is appropriate, they hide that which is inappropriate.

If what a bunch of egotistical hypocrites like the BOD do in their little meetings were appropriate, then there would be no reason to hide what goes on. However, what they do is inappropriate. That is the foundation and origin of their secrecy.

What Jesus said about that was that the sins they commit in secret will be shouted on the rooftops.

Edited by chockfull
  • Upvote 1

Here is the whole article.

I decided to bold-face some of it....to emphasize common ground in cults.

When Does a Religion Become a Cult?

By MITCH HOROWITZ

America has probably supplied the world with more new religions than any other nation. Since the first half of the 19th century, the country's atmosphere of religious experimentation has produced dozens of movements, from Mormonism to a wide range of nature-based practices grouped under the name Wicca.

By 1970 the religious scholar Jacob Needleman popularized the term "New Religious Movements" (NRM) to classify the new faiths, or variants of old ones, that were being embraced by the Woodstock generation. But how do we tell when a religious movement ceases to be novel or unusual and becomes a cult?

It's a question with a long history in this country. The controversy involving Hollywood writer-director Paul Haggis is only its most recent occurrence. Mr. Haggis left the Church of Scientology and has accused it of abusive practices, including demands that members disconnect from their families, which the church vigorously denies.

To use the term cult too casually risks tarring the merely unconventional, for which America has long been a safe harbor. In the early 19th century, the "Burned-over District" of central New York state—so named for the religious passions of those who settled there following the Revolutionary War—gave rise to a wave of new movements, including Mormonism, Seventh-Day Adventism and Spiritualism (or talking to the dead). It was an era, as historian Sydney E. Ahlstrom wrote, when "Farmers became theologians, offbeat village youths became bishops, odd girls became prophets."

When the California Gold Rush of 1849 enticed settlers westward, the nation's passion for religious novelty moved with them. By the early 20th century, sunny California had replaced New York as America's laboratory for avant-garde spirituality. Without the weight of tradition and the ecclesiastical structures that bring some predictability to congregational life, some movements were characterized by a make-it-up-as-you-go approach that ultimately came to redefine people, money and propriety as movable parts intended to benefit the organization.

Many academics and observers of cult phenomena, such as psychologist Philip G. Zimbardo of Stanford, agree on four criteria to define a cult. The first is behavior control, i.e., monitoring of where you go and what you do. The second is information control, such as discouraging members from reading criticism of the group. The third is thought control, placing sharp limits on doctrinal questioning. The fourth is emotional control—using humiliation or guilt. Yet at times these traits can also be detected within mainstream faiths. So I would add two more categories: financial control and extreme leadership.

Financial control translates into levying ruinous dues or fees, or effectively hiring members and placing them on stipends or sales quotas. Consider the once-familiar image of Hare Krishna devotees selling books in airports. Or a friend of mine—today a respected officer with a nonprofit organization—who recalls how his departure from the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church was complicated by the problem of a massive hole in his résumé, reflecting the years he had financially committed himself to the church.

Problems with extremist leadership can be more difficult to spot. The most tragic cult of the last century was the Rev. Jim Jones's Peoples Temple, which ended with mass murder and suicide in the jungles of Guyana in 1978. Only a few early observers understood Jones as dangerously erratic. Known for his racially diverse San Francisco congregation, Jones was widely feted on the local political scene in the 1970s. He was not some West Coast New Ager gone bad. He emerged instead from the mainstream Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) pulpit, which sometimes lent a reassuringly Middle-American tone to his sermons.

Yet every coercive religious group harbors one telltale trait: untoward secrecy. As opposed to a cult, a religious culture ought to be as simple to enter or exit, for members or observers, as any free nation. Members should experience no impediment to relationships, ideas or travel, and the group's finances should be reasonably transparent. Its doctrine need not be conventional—but it should be knowable to outsiders. Absent those qualities, an unorthodox religion can descend into something darker.

Behavior control.......monitoring what you do and with who you associate

Information control....monitoring what you read and criticizing all "worldly" information

Thought control........monitoring your thought processes and short-circuiting critical thinking

Emotional control......monitoring and downplaying all emotions of hurt, grief, anger, etc.

check.....check.....check.....check

• Upvote 1

Here is the whole article.

I decided to bold-face some of it....to emphasize common ground in cults.

Behavior control.......monitoring what you do and with who you associate

Information control....monitoring what you read and criticizing all "worldly" information

Thought control........monitoring your thought processes and short-circuiting critical thinking

Emotional control......monitoring and downplaying all emotions of hurt, grief, anger, etc.

check.....check.....check.....check

excellent article Skyrider - thanks for posting the link....along the secrecy lines the lock box kept coming to mind. what a "clever" way to maintain their hidden control - when not a peep nor a complaint leaks out of the mental prison confining each and every "loyal" follower.

~~

these other points Horowitz noted really touched a nerve with me:

i remember reading in some booklet about cults - maybe it was "Marks of a Cult" - not sure - anyway....one of the things that stood out to me was organizational entanglement .

~~

imho, it's a smarter tact to follow when trying to help someone determine if they may be in a cult - by evaluating behavior, practices, group dynamics and the like - rather than doctrine. That is a big thing that Horowitz points out.....

.....it can become a convoluted and confusing mess to sort out, otherwise - i'm thinking of my own dilemma when i left in 86. when i left TWI - i sorta put my commitment to them on hold - wanting to gather more information and just think things over - it didn't have any sense of finality to it like "that does it - i never want to deal with them ever again". but over time an ever widening gap developed in my perspective - between the lifestyle of the Way and what i wanted out of life.

the confusion that i mentioned above set in as i started looking at mainstream churches. what made TWI so much more harmful? Even if using the same Bible....it slowly began to dawn on me that it was not just a matter of interpretation - but more so how they put it into practice.The "accepted" practical application of doctrine is the telltale sign of a cult.

A little :offtopic: But....

When we left....it really was like suddenly waking up. What did it ....was simply hearing some of the secrets. Some of the things that went on behind the scenes. It fell together, because it explained a great many things that were peripheral . I remember the limb guy saying....don't come to me....I am not qualified to tell you anything. This is what my family is doing....but, you have to decide for yourself. That was a shocker!! It was like scales just fell from our eyes.

It really took just hearing some of the secrets...and then hearing a Voice Mail from LCM ranting like a loon and putting sailors to shame. I remember thinking "He is actually insane."

Of course.... I have been struggling off and on ever since!

A little :offtopic: But....

When we left....it really was like suddenly waking up. What did it ....was simply hearing some of the secrets. Some of the things that went on behind the scenes. It fell together, because it explained a great many things that were peripheral . I remember the limb guy saying....don't come to me....I am not qualified to tell you anything. This is what my family is doing....but, you have to decide for yourself. That was a shocker!! It was like scales just fell from our eyes.

It really took just hearing some of the secrets...and then hearing a Voice Mail from LCM ranting like a loon and putting sailors to shame. I remember thinking "He is actually insane."

Of course.... I have been struggling off and on ever since!

well, if you ask me i don't think your post is off topic at all [of course, i didn't start this thread....and have been known to stray quite a bit off the main trail anyway :rolleyes: ] . the ranting brow voice mail is a great example of their malevolent secrecy....you know, it's one thing to read their innocuous statements of belief we used to hand out - but that was just a cover story to hide how they really ran their mickey mouse operation.

well, if you ask me i don't think your post is off topic at all [of course, i didn't start this thread....and have been known to stray quite a bit off the main trail anyway :rolleyes: ] . the ranting brow voice mail is a great example of their malevolent secrecy....you know, it's one thing to read their innocuous statements of belief we used to hand out - but that was just a cover story to hide how they really ran their mickey mouse operation.

Oh yes......it's one thing to read their air-brushed image of "biblical research" in twi's books, magazine, way disciple and corps promo literature, etc....

BUT.......it's quite ANOTHER thing to get a face-melting assault where the sole purpose is to intimidate and overthrow one's ability to objectively ascertain the situation at hand.

The carrot or the stick

Wierwille was able to modify and control others' thinking and behavior with the "carrot." He had organized an hierarchical system wherein one was motivated to get to the next rung of seniority spirititual maturity. Every class and program completed....one was accessing more seniority in the ranks and stronger probability of positioning. And, this positioning gave access to power-levers over others. Once corps/clergy grads had climbed all the rungs......wierwille had no control over them.

Martindale found himself amongst many peers when he took the mantle of twi-presidency. And, from his athletic background.....the "stick" approach seemed to get the most results. Like many coaches, yelling was an accepted approach to "motivate your players." But then, martindale took this all to a whole new level....hyperventilating and froth....and this, disciples were told, was "spiritual anger to back the adversary down."

But no matter the labels, and all.....

1) Behavior control

2) Thought control

3) Information control

4) Emotional control

....if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Looking back......I realize why wierwille's corps nights were so disturbing.

Why?........Wierwille would NOT ALLOW corps or clergy to exit easily.

Those highest on the rung, he had to publically strip them of authority. Wierwille had to label them....tripped-out, copped-out or possessed. If leaders left with integrity intact, then they could take others with them.

Leaders were NOT ALLOWED to simply exit twi.

....a religious culture ought to be as simple to enter or exit, for members or observers, as any free nation.
  • Upvote 1

interesting i didn't know he talked about the lock box in that class

i only remember it from him and the girls who tried to get me with him when i was still a new person who hadn't finished the class

when i went to the advanced class and especially the way corps progam, the lock box was like business as usual

what a joke

Wierwille taught "The Lockbox" in CF&S. He even used that specific terminology. Does anyone else remember this?

In the CF&S class, he said that husbands and wives should each have a "lockbox" where they keep information about their sexual history that they don't share with each other. After reading Losing The Way, it's pretty clear why he taught that. I'm finding it hard to believe I actually sat there and listened to this garbage.

Were we really subtlety monitored?

In the advanced class......twi scheduled in daily "release sessions" at the twig level. This was NOT a time to ask questions, but to "release" (regurgitate..?) what interested you in the class. A time of conformity?.....indoctrination?

If your thinking was in alignment with twi.......then NO RED FLAGS.

In the CF&S class, he said that husbands and wives should each have a "lockbox" where they keep information about their sexual history that they don't share with each other. After reading Losing The Way, it's pretty clear why he taught that. I'm finding it hard to believe I actually sat there and listened to this garbage.

I remember him talking about "the lockbox" in CF&S. I don't remember him saying anything about couples keeping their sexual history from each other. I remember it being about not bringing up the past, as in not continuing to bring up another spouses mistake once it's been discussed.

I'm not defending anything here, I'm just sharing my own recall.

I never heard it in that context.

I heard of this in the context that you simply don't share everything with your spouse. You might be "working" with someone - counselling - and you don't go telling other people's confidences.

But then again, knowing now what I do about some of the "counselling" that went on...that "working" with someone might mean you wouldn't dare share with your spouse what you'd done. Not unless you wanted a frying pan upside the head or at least an almighty row...no, that would require a spouse with "normal" reactions to infidelity.

Lockbox.... :CUSSING:

There is a time and place for keeping things quiet, not blabbing about. But not quite in the context taught by TWI.

Edited by Twinky

In the advanced class......twi scheduled in daily "release sessions" at the twig level. This was NOT a time to ask questions, but to "release" (regurgitate..?) what interested you in the class. A time of conformity?.....indoctrination?

I kind of felt it was like that, more conformity - group think, when we did those. Release sessions were never about real release.. It was more about learning to shut your mouth unless you had something positive that agreed. The problem with most of the ones I was a part of, was there were only so many ways to say "That was some great koolaid" before no one had anything more to add. Back to reading the syllabus so we have something to repeat...

But then, every once in a while you'd get that odd person that never realized it was for positive reinforcement only. And while I enjoyed hearing those "mind provoking" thoughts, everyone just looked at them like, How dare you question the MOGFODAT... I think that was about the only time it was a little fun to be there! A still remember a few that made the group leader squirm.. Ahh, but it never woke me up.. :smilie_kool_aid:

The problem with most of the ones I was a part of, was there were only so many ways to say "That was some great koolaid" before no one had anything more to add. Back to reading the syllabus so we have something to repeat...

Looking back at those "release groups".....it was never about the student's learning. So, what did those little twiggie groups provide at the advanced classes?

1) Repetition for groupthink

2) Know your place and shut your mouth

3) No one criticizes the Mog without reproof

4) Afternoon twig meetings....while bigwigs took nap.

:anim-smile:

Looking back at those "release groups".....it was never about the student's learning. So, what did those little twiggie groups provide at the advanced classes?

1) Repetition for groupthink

2) Know your place and shut your mouth

3) No one criticizes the Mog without reproof

4) Afternoon twig meetings....while bigwigs took nap.

:anim-smile:

I agree that indoctrination, monitoring, and containment were a larger part of the outcomes of these. In general, the concept isn't a bad one - most learning studies show that class participation of some sort helps retention over a one way info dump. So it's not really just the "release groups" that were the bad thing here. It was more the overall mindset and culture of TWI surrounding it. With the immorality at the top, and teachings like "a suggestion of a general is tantamount to a commmand", and a bunch of middle management zealots, you have quite a recipe for disaster.

I remember those afternoon twigs. It was just another way of making sure everyone was "on the same page". And, if you got caught "looking ahead in the lesson plan", the teacher's adjunct was quick to give you a swift (figurative) slap with the ruler.

I remember those afternoon twigs. It was just another way of making sure everyone was "on the same page". And, if you got caught "looking ahead in the lesson plan", the teacher's adjunct was quick to give you a swift (figurative) slap with the ruler.

slap.gif Your learning lesson 10 and we're on lesson 5. If you learn lesson 10 now, what will we have to teach you when we get to lesson 10?:)

SoCrates

slap.gif Your learning lesson 10 and we're on lesson 5. If you learn lesson 10 now, what will we have to teach you when we get to lesson 10?:)

SoCrates

It's like a house, you see. Before you can even approach the pinnacle of lesson #10, you must first "master" lesson #5. The time you spend on lesson #10 is taking away from the time you need to spend on lesson #5. It would be the epitome of pride for you to jump ahead to the other lessons. You were told by the Man of Gawd not to jump ahead in the syllabus (see how green it is?). Since the MOGFOT has said this, you jumping ahead is really a sin against God. If you proceed to lesson #10 before you're ready, you could get possessed, and the devil will steal the greatness and the power of the knowledge of God's matchless Word from your heart and life. The adversary will have free reign to steal, kill, and destroy the joy and comfort of knowing God's Word rightly divided from you. You're roof could cave in at any second. You'll forget how to speak English, and annoying people will enter your home and keep you awake all night with their endless laughter. Stop this madness before it's too late! Please! Because if the other leaders find out that I've allowed you to proceed to lesson #10 against the word of the Man of Gawd, I won't get to be Branch Leader. I won't be able to act cool in front of my other Corps members. It reflects poorly on me.

By the way, since you're in the Advanced Class, you should consider coming into the Way Corps where you can learn the proper way to place spoons on a table.

By the way, since you're in the Advanced Class, you should consider coming into the Way Corps where you can learn the proper way to place spoons on a table.

And string chairs as a leadership body.

Were we really subtlety monitored?

If your thinking was in alignment with twi.......then NO RED FLAGS.

speaking of the advanced class - remember vp's the "junk table" - [an assortment of "devilish" books & videos he had accumulated over the years] on display for advanced class students.....

..and remember class, everything gives off something and stuff like that attracts devil spirits..... i remember him saying something about his believing keeping the dastardly stuff in some kinda....... spiritual quarantine i guess so it was safe for public viewing.......so where did they keep it stored in between classes? an hermetically sealed kryptonite-lined vault buried 666 feet below the WOW auditorium?

....i bet he toted that stuff around all year long on the motor coach.....uhm.... er ....well, you never know when you might have to conduct a mini advanced class or something....yeah, dats riiiiiight.

speaking of the advanced class - remember vp's the "junk table" - [an assortment of "devilish" books & videos he had accumulated over the years] on display for advanced class students.....

..and remember class, everything gives off something and stuff like that attracts devil spirits..... i remember him saying something about his believing keeping the dastardly stuff in some kinda....... spiritual quarantine i guess so it was safe for public viewing.......so where did they keep it stored in between classes? an hermetically sealed kryptonite-lined vault buried 666 feet below the WOW auditorium?

....i bet he toted that stuff around all year long on the motor coach.....uhm.... er ....well, you never know when you might have to conduct a mini advanced class or something....yeah, dats riiiiiight.

So....THAT is where the devil got access to infiltrate twi.

:wink2:

So was the infamous horse video included in the mix?

SoCrates