GreaseSpot Cafe

The Adam Hirschfeld Thread

pawtucket

according to the site linked on the first page, the sentencing was postponed. Unfortunately they are not letting us into that part of the site to learn the details.

Supposedly the case was in Castle Rock, Colorado, I am assuming that means the 18th Judicial District Court there.

• 3 weeks later...

The charges against him were the following:

03/01/2007

Charges: Securities-make Untrue Statement

Statute: 11-51-501(1)(b)

Class: F3 (Class 3 Felony)

Offense Date From: 03/01/2007

Offense Date To: 12/12/2008

BAC: 0.000

Plea Date: 01/11/2011

Plea: Plea of Guilty

03/01/2007

Charges: Securities-fraud Or Deceit

Statute: 11-51-501(1)©

Class: F3 (Class 3 Felony)

Offense Date From: 03/01/2007

Offense Date To: 12/12/2008

BAC: 0.000

Plea Date: 01/11/2011

Plea: Plea of Guilty

The sentencing was to occur on 3/17/11, but has been postponed until 6/1/11

I would like anyone with any additional and pertinent info, to contact me via email, pawtucket@greasespotcafe.com

Thanks

More to come

Edited by pawtucket

Explain class 3 felony please.

All I see is he pleaded guilty...to fraud or deceit. Sounds unpleasantly serious.

I did find this: "With a felony conviction comes a substantial penalty. Class 3 felonies can be punished by incarceration in state prison for anywhere from 2-10 years. Convicted felons can also face fines of as much as $10,000. A person convicted of a non-violent Class 3 felony may not be sentenced to prison at all. He may get a shorter sentence in a county jail or even a long probation sentence."

I had to check out what "class 3 felony" means. How interesting that Wikipedia notes: "The reform of harsh felony laws that had originated in Great Britain was deemed "one of the first fruits of liberty" after the United States became independent." Whereas nowadays the harsh laws of the US are scary and outrageous by Brit standards...but that's another thread.

Suffice to say - he knew better...what a conman. Learned well.

All I see is he pleaded guilty...to fraud or deceit. Sounds unpleasantly serious.

I did find this: "With a felony conviction comes a substantial penalty. Class 3 felonies can be punished by incarceration in state prison for anywhere from 2-10 years. Convicted felons can also face fines of as much as $10,000. A person convicted of a non-violent Class 3 felony may not be sentenced to prison at all. He may get a shorter sentence in a county jail or even a long probation sentence."

I had to check out what "class 3 felony" means. How interesting that Wikipedia notes: "The reform of harsh felony laws that had originated in Great Britain was deemed "one of the first fruits of liberty" after the United States became independent." Whereas nowadays the harsh laws of the US are scary and outrageous by Brit standards...but that's another thread.

Suffice to say - he knew better...what a conman. Learned well.

part of his plea is to repay the money that he bilked. I'm hoping to have court docs soon.

Class three is usally the lesser class of felonies. However, copping to a felony is a major life altering event. I did a little digging and this following link explains it better than I could.

http://www.criminalinfonetwork.com/pleading-guilty.htm

Apparently after a long Headquarters shindig last weekend, no one really missed half of the Way of Colorado!

Seems nobody noticed, or cared.

One comment was '' oh, they left the ministry? That's too bad, I really loved them."

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.CUSSING.gif

Good gried, OS, that's outrageous. How long do all those penalties lasdt? How long till someone can vote again, receive Federal aid, etc.? Surely these things are time-limited, though the article doesn't say so. The US doesn't seem very good at rehabilitating people back into society, but surely punishment doesn't go on...and on...and on.

Good gried, OS, that's outrageous. How long do all those penalties lasdt? How long till someone can vote again, receive Federal aid, etc.? Surely these things are time-limited, though the article doesn't say so. The US doesn't seem very good at rehabilitating people back into society, but surely punishment doesn't go on...and on...and on.

They key word in that link is MAY. Doesn't mean it will happen - the implementation of the MAY part is dependent upon a number of factors, including what you were convicted of, whether or not it was a first offence, etc. etc.

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, in the UK convictions are "spent" after a period of time (around 10 years) and don't need to be disclosed unless specifically required to be disclosed on, for example, job applications. It means people are not punished in perpetuity and there is an incentive to "stay straight" and clear (to some extent) one's name. A reduction in recidivism (repeat offending) has got to be good for society. The conviction is not deleted from one's criminal record - it just doesn't have to be disclosed to all and sundry, and cannot be referred to in most contexts.

Got to be good if you were a stupid young man or had a rotten beginning and have cleaned your act up. If someone screws up their late teens or 20s by being a bit of a hell-raiser but by the time they've got to their 30s or 40s and have learned a bit of responsibility, why should they continue to be treated like a 20 year old hell-raiser?

Anyway, FYI here's a link to an easy-read website: Rehabilitation of Offenders - spent convictions

Other countries also have much more rehabilitative schemes. Restorative justice, restoration of offenders, and all that stuff.

This really ought to be a separate topic....oops.

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, in the UK convictions are "spent" after a period of time (around 10 years) and don't need to be disclosed unless specifically required to be disclosed on, for example, job applications. It means people are not punished in perpetuity and there is an incentive to "stay straight" and clear (to some extent) one's name. A reduction in recidivism (repeat offending) has got to be good for society. The conviction is not deleted from one's criminal record - it just doesn't have to be disclosed to all and sundry, and cannot be referred to in most contexts.

Got to be good if you were a stupid young man or had a rotten beginning and have cleaned your act up. If someone screws up their late teens or 20s by being a bit of a hell-raiser but by the time they've got to their 30s or 40s and have learned a bit of responsibility, why should they continue to be treated like a 20 year old hell-raiser?

Anyway, FYI here's a link to an easy-read website: Rehabilitation of Offenders - spent convictions

Other countries also have much more rehabilitative schemes. Restorative justice, restoration of offenders, and all that stuff.

This really ought to be a separate topic....oops.

I just was curious to see if you had anything to back up your previous statement about the U.S. not being good at rehabilitation. Your response was more about what you feel is a fallacy in the U.S. justice system of which I agree. Nevertheless, I don't think anybody is very effective at rehabilitation, meaning permanently altering one's behavior into that of a law-abiding citizen. You're right, any further discussion about this should be on a separate thread.

Double-posted.

Innnneresting Twinky.

I do support that idea and think we in the United States would benefit from finding ways to apply it. I think there are many circumstances that it would work and would be beneficial for everyone.

I know that in the U.S. a person may have their record "expunged". I don't know what the criteria is, however.

Edited by Broken Arrow

Double-posted.

I know that in the U.S. a person may have their record "expunged". I don't know what the criteria is, however.

Usually relevant to a plea deal, offenders age (think juvenile offenders,) offense, etc.

• 3 weeks later...