GreaseSpot Cafe

Does or did TWI leaders or doctrines influence your political views?

penworks

On 4/18/2011 at 11:51 AM, penworks said:

Someone recently asked me whether VPW told me for whom to vote. All I could say was I don't remember his outright TELLING me which persons to vote for, but he usually made it plain who he was voting for. i.e. Reagan. He was clearly Republican and in those days (1970 - 1987) I was strongly influenced by VPW even after he died in 1985.

How 'bout you?

OOPS, the title should read "Do" not "Does". How do I change that?

Pen, they didn't influence my political views at all. 

On 4/23/2011 at 11:59 AM, Twinky said:

I remember Lovely Loy sounding off one day (well...more than once) about the European Union and all the countries working together for closer economic union. He had lots of scathing things to say. And (as a European) I could only think, "Keep your bloody nose out of it!"

Who is he to make a statement about Europe, or my own country? What does he know about their politics, individually or collectively? Does he even know where these countries are? My view is in no small measure based on how little most Americans know about Europe - not knowing the countries, or which major city is in which country, etc, etc.

I also thought: that Lovely Loy or his "advisers" perceived the larger economic unit of Europe a threat to US economic interests. With a bigger block and more countries working together, the US economy perhaps couldn't pick off or wedge into smaller countries and use those as a foothold for more economic oppression.

And I further thought: yeah, all right for you to say that...now...now that your States are all one block. Do you want to disband the US union because that union is so evil? No, thought not. You just want to stop others achieving the benefits of cross-border business, multi-nationalism, etc.

Call me carnal-thinking if you like. His opinion wasn't based on anything other than his "spiritual revelation" and we all know how that ended up.

With apologies to those Europhiles among you who do know that Madrid isn't a city in Italy...LOL. And Belgium is not the capital of Holland...ah, where?

Twinky, Craig popped off quite often about things he didn't know S--t about.

I generally remember VPW's reply when asked what he thought of the current President (at the time it was Carter) talking about being a Christian. He smiled and said, and i don't remember verbatim, but it was along the lines that the President talked about being a Christian merely to get votes. I think that statement colored my views for the next election when Reagan came in.

This was at an 'ambassador one' weekend fly-in in 1978. One of the 'guests' had asked the question while we were visiting in the Wierwille home. I wasn't yet of voting age, but I kind of logged it into my thinking.

Edited by Peruser