GreaseSpot Cafe

You just can't make this stuff up

OldSkool

"You can learn as much hitchhiking as you can from studying the book of Genesis" ????

Okay, "teacher" - let's see, when was the time you hitchhiked? (Except on the shoulders of giants when you pinched their work)?

One of the best times I had was wandering around in the mountains on my own for three weeks. Completely alone. An overnight layover in a little hamlet to re-stock my food. Everything (tent and all) except water carried on my back. Saw a handful of people the first week; "enjoyed" a minor earthquake; hitched a lift with strangers to the hamlet. Saw only one person on the first day the second couple of weeks or 10 days or whatever it was. Lotsa miles, not sure the mileage; distances are measured in days to take, not miles or km.

I enjoyed "just being."

How can you replicate that on LEAD?

It felt contrived, almost like they are trying too hard to recreate the early days of TWI.

Engineering spontaneity?

My impression anyway.

I liked the song though.....

Edited by geisha779

I'm with Old Skool -- creepy indeed. Still as irresponsible as ever to send people hitchhiking and then mountain climbing with very little training. My time on LEAD was 10 of the worst days of my life. I guess in an odd way it did teach me an "I can do" attitude, because I figured in years later that if I had survived that insanity, none of the rest of the insanity the world would throw at me could defeat me. HOWEVER, as far as making me a better Christian or helping develop compassion or leadership in some of the ....heads in charge, I think not. If it was so wonderful, why didn't VPW do it, and why did Moneyhands and others wimp out on doing it, too?

If it was so wonderful, why didn't VPW do it, and why did Moneyhands and others wimp out on doing it, too?

That's a great point. I mean, afterall, "There's as much learning in hitchhiking as there is in studying Genesis." :rolleyes:

Look at all the learning they missed. <_<

The book of Genesis has one sex scandal after another in it. You can't read the book of Genesis to your children without having to explain what sex is to them. We bought a children's bible for our oldest child. It referred to OK sex as "making love", but sinful sex, like in Sodom, was called "have sex". Cute.

I hitched a lot as a young person. Got robbed once, never got roughed up. You had to be flexible. One ride might be people you can relate to for maybe 10 miles and the next ride might be rednecks who take you 100 miles. Wondered why the rednecks even picked me up.

I sponsored a family corps couple who went on lead. The woman told me it was challenging; said she "left a lot of 'little girl' back on those rocks".

There is a believer from WA who regularly does lead type excursions to WA, and New Mexico. Some of our young folks went on one. They were geeked; loved it. Mostly guys.

A way corps guy wrote a poem while on lead called 'love is brown'. We had it read aloud during our wedding ceremony. Not by the guy who wrote it. I can't even remember the word of prophecy done at our wedding, but I occasionally reread 'love is brown'.

Hearing sound bytes from Wierwille, with my non-wayfer mindset, the man sounds full of it. I used to idolize his old teachings lamenting that no one like him had risen up in the way international. The man was a crack pot.

I really found this to be a little creepy, especially with the smattering of quotes from victor paul wierwille in the mix.

It is creepy.The ole boy is dead.To say he "speaks"to this generation is only to add credibility to junior.What?can't make it on your own?

Moses my servant is dead,arise and go.Not that herr vic was Moses.

Follow in Jesus's footsteps for a change.Did twi sell Tinnie?

Moneyhands did go on LEAD, when it was run by Wierwille's Son in Law, John Somerville. Apparently Wierwille met with Somerville and devised a scenario where all the leaders would be taken captive and interrogated until they broke. None of the leaders made it through. I know that Moneyhands was one of them.

I assumed this was from years ago.

But given the Smart Car in one of the photos, this must be recent.

So they've taken up hitchhiking again?

Until another girl gets raped and beaten to the point of death?

Again?

• Upvote 1

Moneyhands did go on LEAD, when it was run by Wierwille's Son in Law, John Somerville. Apparently Wierwille met with Somerville and devised a scenario where all the leaders would be taken captive and interrogated until they broke. None of the leaders made it through. I know that Moneyhands was one of them.

It was called Total Fitness Institute then. The former numbnuts limb leader from WVA I knew was also a participant once, best I remember.

I always wondered how it worked out for John Somerville.. a Google search with his name in quotes yield practically nothing..

He also went LEAD when all the Corps Coordinators did in Christmas of '80. So did Lynn, Jenkinson, Bedard and some others.

I always wondered how it worked out for John Somerville.. a Google search with his name in quotes yield practically nothing..

See, as far as TWI involvement goes that is a blessing. Heh, just ask Hayes Gahagan. :anim-smile:

Oh, yeah... I remember Cli*f Ad*elm@n telling me about that once in 1983 ... I just didn't know Moneyhands was with the group.

I assumed this was from years ago.

But given the Smart Car in one of the photos, this must be recent.

So they've taken up hitchhiking again?

Until another girl gets raped and beaten to the point of death?

Again?

Actually, rapes and DEATHS didn't stop the last program.

When vpw himself was addressed about the dangers of participants being RAPED

as the direct consequence of dangers he was REQUIRING that were not necessary

except for his arbitrary rules,

he went on the record, telling the Way Corps that they COULD get raped ANYWHERE,

so-despite him INCREASING the risk, he was going to keep insisting on putting them

deliberately in danger.

Obviously, he considered his program and his whims to be more important than

human lives, the lives of those for whom Christ died- since he chose to assign a

higher priority to his whims and program than to HUMAN LIVES.

I liked the song though.....

Same here. It's called Free Life by Dan Wilson. The artist deserves credit and I am sorry that SOWERS used w/o crediting the artist. Sound familiar anyone? Oh well, hopefully Dan can get publicity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mi3CTN3Ufg&feature=related

Edited by OldSkool