GreaseSpot Cafe

GIve it a rest

I actually found the video clip, the Bridges of Meghalaya, to be quite fascinating. However, it has nothing to do with "moving the Word" except in John's mind. Instead of building a living bridge to future generations with vines, it seems that John has just been swinging from one vine to the next. Unfortunately his dismounts are more like George of the Jungle's than like Tarzan's.

Love,

Steve

The video's very interesting. People really adapted to their environment and working out excellent solutions.

John's just showing that wonderfl TWI tendency to over-spiritualize everything.

I wouldn't want to walk on the rotten bridge that he is trying to build.

The video's very interesting. People really adapted to their environment and working out excellent solutions.

John's just showing that wonderfl TWI tendency to over-spiritualize everything.

I wouldn't want to walk on the rotten bridge that he is trying to build.

Exactly, Twinky. There's nothing wrong with the video, itself, or the amazing foresight and diligence this sort of effort takes. But, as usual, in TWI inspired fashion, we see a loose comparison that lacks congruity. Yes, these people are building something. John is, likewise, building "something". That's about as far as the comparison goes. He might just as well have compared himself to someone building a latrine.

Got this in me email today:

I mean give it a rest. WOW was a boondoggle only to form the foundation for way disciple, an even bigger boondoggle of cult indoctrination and control. John-boy needs to get off Victoid's coat-tails and start in a new direction.

This video is lovely, inspiring, and reports on an important undertaking for the people who need those amazing bridges. It seems a clever analogy if you still think the mirage of VP's "Word" is real, but it is ridiculous of JL to claim the story "parallels what we are to be doing with the Word." That is propaganda, and it isn't even very good propaganda IMO.

Call me overly analytical, but for the analogy to be a good one, I suspect there would need to be one undeniably clear (to everyone on the planet) interpretation of what "the Word" is and what it says, if "The Word" refers to the Bible (which Bible is another matter).

News flash to JL: you've oversimplified a complex issue like VP did. In other words, you are digging around in a can of worms, and sorry, but you can't build bridges out of worms. The don't stay still long enough.

Words, yes, even words in Bibles, are wiggly things, and are subject to "private" interpretation the minute a human being reads them. VP's "keys to research" that JL clings to do not create a dependable vine . Why do you think we've got so many Protestant denominations? Why do you think Martin Luther broke away from the Catholics? He interpreted scripture differently.

VP's interpretations which JL promotes, although with some "tweaks", is plagarized from others who were fundamentalists. No doubt there is value in some of the teachings, regardless of where they came from, but let's remember, we're still dealing with people's interpretations, not an objective "Word" that JL thinks he can move over the world. He's moving words that wiggle like worms.

A quick trip to the public library or to Google to check the aisles containing works on theology and Biblical interpretation shows you that the matter of "the Word" is not so simple. Knowledge on these topics is readily available.

Cheers!

Pen

"I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect, has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

I mean give it a rest. WOW was a boondoggle only to form the foundation for way disciple, an even bigger boondoggle of cult indoctrination and control. John-boy needs to get off Victoid's coat-tails and start in a new direction.

This video is lovely, inspiring, and reports on an important undertaking for the people who need those amazing bridges. It seems a clever analogy if you still think the mirage of VP's "Word" is real, but it is ridiculous of JL to claim the story "parallels what we are to be doing with the Word." That is propaganda, and it isn't even very good propaganda IMO.

Call me overly analytical, but for the analogy to be a good one, I suspect there would need to be one undeniably clear (to everyone on the planet) interpretation of what "the Word" is and what it says, if "The Word" refers to the Bible (which Bible is another matter).

News flash to JL: you've oversimplified a complex issue like VP did. In other words, you are digging around in a can of worms, and sorry, but you can't build bridges out of worms. The don't stay still long enough.

Words, yes, even words in Bibles, are wiggly things, and are subject to "private" interpretation the minute a human being reads them. VP's "keys to research" that JL clings to do not create a dependable vine . Why do you think we've got so many Protestant denominations? Why do you think Martin Luther broke away from the Catholics? He interpreted scripture differently.

VP's interpretations which JL promotes, although with some "tweaks", is plagarized from others who were fundamentalists. No doubt there is value in some of the teachings, regardless of where they came from, but let's remember, we're still dealing with people's interpretations, not an objective "Word" that JL thinks he can move over the world. He's moving words that wiggle like worms.

A quick trip to the public library or to Google to check the aisles containing works on theology and Biblical interpretation shows you that the matter of "the Word" is not so simple. Knowledge on these topics is readily available.

Cheers!

Pen

"I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect, has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

Words, yes, even words in Bibles, are wiggly things, and are subject to "private" interpretation the minute a human being reads them. VP's "keys to research" that JL clings to do not create a dependable vine . Why do you think we've got so many Protestant denominations? Why do you think Martin Luther broke away from the Catholics? He interpreted scripture differently ( and a few other reasons).

Cheers!

Pen

Edited by penworks

Yeh, in order to get something, a thing done, there needs to be a clear 'vision' of what it is and the result NEEDS TO BE MEASURABLE.

Building bridges is measurable. When you're done there's a bridge. What's a bridge do? Provide ACCESS for those who want to get to the other side.

I never met a metaphor I didn't like but it has to fit in some way that "rings true". jALs could, if he didn't mention WOW. WOW was/is too loose of an idea

to work with to make his point.

Which may really be....

"if you know what I'm talking about you'll get it and if you don't you're one of the ones who dropped off the back of the truck and it's sad and I feel bad for you.

Watch this video and I'll feel better knowing you did".

WOW was a good banner ad, a "big idea" that can capture a lot of ideas and movement. But it needs specificity to get moving on the road. "The idea" of it works on too many levels

and it can mean many many different things, even to those of us who were in the Way when Jal was. Who jal is talking about is curious too............

As a distant observer only of jaL's efforts since leaving the Way he seems to be a great example of life's peaks and valleys, up one year, down the next.

I know life is that way, I'm not pointing fingers - and when criticized even I, socks, can take it to be an attack, even when it's meant well

and has value...so it wouldn't surprise me if jaL's pre programmed his response to criticism, as I'm sure he's used to getting it by now.

something like - "well, gosh, you're not succeeding if you're not turning over some bee hives, doncha know!", that sort of logic

(which obviously didn't originate from a bee hive keeper)

Life can be rough but geez, he does seem to have a fair amount of 'collateral damage' in his rear view mirror. But as someone once told me -

"my job doesn't come with a rear view mirror".....meaning he didn't waste time looking back or second guessing himself.

He got fired a year later. True story.

But don't look back, keep moving onward and forward and upward, you ol' bridgemakers!

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky..

shine on you crazy diamond..

You were caught in the cross-fire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze..

Come on you target for far away laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

Why don't they read the next verse. Well, why don't they..

:biglaugh:

OK then..

You reached for the secret too soon.. you cried for the moon.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed to the light..

Well you wore out your welcome with random precision

Rode on the steel breeze

Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you

painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

The copyright is held by Gilmour, Waters and Wright..

I dunno. It's a good description for a descent into madness..

j.l. showing up with "how about it.. it's da word, remember when.."

It cannot be much different than Syd Barrett showing up at the recording studio twenty years later, a grossly overweight, and a shadow of himself..

excuse my rambling.

honest to god..

I asked one of my colleagues..

maybe I should not say.

This verse is (thanks to Waters and Gimour) for j.l..

So so you think you can tell heaven from hell, blue skies from pain

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil,

Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade your heros for ghosts? Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for cool breeze? Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead-role in a cage!

How I wish, how I wish you were here.

We're just two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year..

Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears

Wish you were here

Forget threes. Everything good comes in fours..

do we want the fourth verse, or do we not..

Edited by Ham

Nobody knows where you are.

how near or how far.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

'

Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there..

And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumphs.

and sail on the the steel breeze

Come on you boy-child, you winner and loser,

come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!

Walters, Wright, Gilmore

• 1 month later...

Maybe he should read the book, "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" http://www.amazon.co...19070801&sr=8-1

It might give us all something to ponder...

IMO this is one of the best reference books on the topic of "biblical research" if you are interested in the actual texts. Which some people call The Word.

Ehrman is providing info to the public that has been circulated among scholars for years and years. If more people understood the history of the book we call The Bible, we might find a way to appreciate it for what it is, not what we wish it were...

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

IMO this is one of the best reference books on the topic of "biblical research" if you are interested in the actual texts. Which some people call The Word.

Ehrman is providing info to the public that has been circulated among scholars for years and years. If more people understood the history of the book we call The Bible, we might find a way to appreciate it for what it is, not what we wish it were...

Cheers!

Another thumbs-up for Ehrman's books. They were instrumental in helping me to break free of the haughty fundamentalism taught by TWI and its offshoots. His writings are straightforward and the evidence he presents is overwhelming.

I have found over the past few years that diving into the subjects of textual criticism and the historical Jesus has put a lot of things into perspective for me. I wish I had started sooner!

-JJ