GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Sheen just occurred to me, as well, but I can't imagine he got $1,000,000/episode for any other of his shows.

George

That's him and he was paid $1million/episode +plus+ for one of his shows. He actually made even more $$$$$ on his other show.  Do you know the shows?

Edited by Human without the bean

2 hours ago, Raf said:

Charlie Sheen, 2.5 men?

And then after he left, it was 2 men?

I didn't see this post.  I was on the other side of the page.  Yes, that's right.  CS made  $1.9m an episode for his last three years of 2.5 men.  An a cool $100m for his trouble cutting ties altogether.  But he even made more $$$$$$$ after that for his other hit show .................................

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I can imagine James Caan getting $1,000,000 per episode of "Las Vegas" but not for any other TV show.

George

Son of a gun   :realmad:    I keep getting logged out. 

He wasn't on my list.  By comparison, seven years ago Hugh Laurie was earning $400k per show.  So I doubt he was in this exclusive club.

When Charlie Sheen melted down and was fired from 2,5 men Hollywood wouldn't touch him.   After a while, he cooled and Lionsgate made what's known as the 10/90 deal agreement to give Charlie another shot.  Still banking on Sheen's star power he agreed to take a 95% cut in pay to $100k per episode for 10 TV shows and if the show scored high enough ratings they would shoot 90 more in exchange for 40% of the bank end that Lionsgate would make on syndication which is achieved after airing 100 episodes.

After the 100th airing of Anger Management , the show was cancelled and Charlie Sheen took home a sweet paycheck for $200,000,000.  That would make him the highest paid television actor to be paid.  $2,100,000 per episode.

George that's right.  You got six.  You still need one more.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/charlie-sheens-200-million-anger-management-gamble/

So then, let's turn over all the cards here, and see

" What television or cable tv shows paid a cast member or members $1million dollars or more per episode"?

Anger Management $2.1 million  (Charlie Sheen)

Two & A Half Men  $1.9 million  (Charlie Sheen)

Everybody Loves Raymond  final two seasons $1.7 million  (Ray Romano)

Frazier  $1.6 million  final two seasons  (Kelsey Grammer)

The Big Bang Theory  $1 million+plus (Sheldon, Penny, Leonard)

Home Improvement $1.25 million (Tim Allen)

Sopranos  $1 million final season  (James Gandolfini)

Friends  $1 million final two seasons (all cast members)

Mad About You  $1 million final two seasons  (Helen Hunt, Paul Riser)

Dexter  $1 million final two seasons  (Michael C Hall)

Honorable mention  The Nix  $825,000 (Meryl Streep)

The first initiator of the coveted $1 million dollar club was either Seinfeld (89-1998) or Mad About You (92-1999) I not sure which.  Jerry Seinfeld made a million his final season, and stars Helen Hunt and Paul Riser each were paid a million for each episode in their final two seasons.  Thanks to his contract Paul Riser had a clause that states he made equal pay to what Ms. Hunt was making.

The cast of Friends (94-2004) thanks to Lisa Kudrow for helping negotiate the final two seasons at a million a pop.

The stars of The Big Bang Theory are probably on their way near to the top of this list.  The Network will no doubt renegotiate another deal with Katie Cuoco who has said that she is tired of the show and if she stays she would have to see a big bang bump in pay.  Already each star has signed a three year deal estimating $100 million.  Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons won't want to say goodbye to all that big bang buck either. 

A handful of these were fairly obvious shows.  George, you gathered a handful of most of these.

So George, it's you're go!

Edited by Human without the bean

What do these shows have in common?  (Most, but not all, are cop shows -- that's not the answer.  This may take a BIT of thinking outside the box.)

Miami Vice

The Heights

S.W.A.T.

Welcome Back, Kotter

Greatest American Hero

Secret Agent

Hawaii 5-0

Happy Days

Peter Gunn

Hill Street Blues

The Rockford Files

Honorable mentions:  The Dukes of Hazard and The Beverly Hillbillies

George

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, Raf said:

Depends on what kind of box.

If it's one of those boxes where a ballerina twirls around after you spin that little knob in the back, it's probably easy.

All right.  I'm going to give it to Raf, because he clearly knows that it's the theme music from the shows which is important.

Specifically, all of the theme songs hit the top 10 in the pop charts.  In my list, above, the first four went to #1, and then down in order until Hill Street Blues, which peaked at #10.  The Beverly Hillbillies and Dukes of Hazard themes get honorable mention, hitting #1 on the country charts.

Take it away, Raf.  If you want to.  :anim-smile:

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In a 2004 episode of this popular series, a character named "Nanny G." (a children's entertainer who's not a main character on the show) looks at her ex-husband (who IS a main character on the show) and says, " Do you know what it's like to play the same character for twenty years?" The audience got a big laugh out of that, with good reason.

Edited by Raf

Could it be "Frasier"?  It was still on in 2004, and Kelsey Grammer played the role for about 20 years.  However, his "ex-wife" was Lilith, who did not, as far as I know, portray a "Nanny G."  Still, it's my best guess.  (Maybe one of Grammer's real life exes was Nanny G?)

George

George

Before he married Lillith, and before he met Diane, Frasier was married to a children's entertainer named Nanny G, who shows up in three episodes, each time played by a different actress. The last incarnation was a super-horny Laurie Metcalf, who delivered the line in question on the last season of "Frasier." And yes, Kelsey Grammer was finishing his 20th season playing Frasier by that time (nine on Cheers, 11 on his own show).

Which means you're up.

This will be far too easy, but I loved the show.  Other than a couple of "so-and-so was originally slated to play [featured role]", there isn't a lot of good trivia out there on it.

On episodes containing a show-within-a-show, the studio audience of the "pretend" show was the studio audience of the real show.

The last US broadcast network sitcom to be videotaped.

The iconic neighbor, whose whole face is never seen, was based on the star's childhood memories, where he was too short to see over the fence.

George

12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

This will be far too easy, but I loved the show.  Other than a couple of "so-and-so was originally slated to play [featured role]", there isn't a lot of good trivia out there on it.

On episodes containing a show-within-a-show, the studio audience of the "pretend" show was the studio audience of the real show.

The last US broadcast network sitcom to be videotaped.

The iconic neighbor, whose whole face is never seen, was based on the star's childhood memories, where he was too short to see over the fence.

George

I'm not sure about the video taping clue but the others do point to Home Improvement.

This groundbreaking TV series had three rotating actors [two of them well known movie actors] who were featured in separate episodes that were loosely tied with a common theme. All three characters worked for the same Publishing company.  Each character had the same editorial assistant (and a real hottie).   The series provided Steven Spielberg with his first long-form directing assignment with the episode titled, oddly enough, "L.A. 2017".  A "wheel series", a concept introduced at the time where two or three series are played alternately in the same time slot got it's start here. At the time it had the largest budget of any television series.