GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

There were several shows in the 70's with this general idea.  "Search" had three rotating private investigators.  "NBC Mystery Movie of the Week" brought us Banacek, Columbo, MacMillan and Wife, and others.  I'm just not getting the "publishing company" reference, nor who the particular "hottie" was.

George

Well that's why we play the game isn't it?  You're really on track George. 

Just let me add too what I said about two of the three lead actors, really all three off them were established movie actors at the time.  That was part of the draw too bring movie actors to television wasn't it?

One of the three lead actors who'se characters worked in the same publishing house was fired in the 3rd year of the show, however instead of being replaced by one actor they brought in several actors to replace him in his rotation.  Some of them who starred were Robert Culp, Robert Wagner, and Peter Falk who would go on to use the same dogged persistent style of investigative reporting that he used in the series for a 70's Mystery Movie character called Columbo.  However, here he was a dogged reporter.

In the show this character worked for "People Magazine" six years before there actually was a People Magazine.

Edited by Human without the bean

19 hours ago, Raf said:

Ok. Invoking the cheating is ok after a bazillion days rule.

The Name of the Game

18 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Allow me:

:doh:

George

George I was fairly certain that you would get this before the invoking rule came in.  I was going to reveal whom the hot chick was for my next clue. 

Anyway, the series Name of the Game was based on a 1966 movie entitled "Fame is The Name Of The Game" starring Anthony (Tony) Franciosa and it debuted 20 yr. old Susan Saint James who would both join the cast members Gene Barry and Robert Stack in rotating roles as investigative reporters each under the umbrella of Howard Publication's, a magazine publishing company owned by Glen Howard (Gene Barry).  The common theme or connection would be Susan Saint James who would play editorial assistant for each of the rotating cast. 

Franciosa was fired early in season 3, and producers would cast other actors to take his place, however, they would still feature his face in the opening credits with the caption, Guest starring Peter Falk, Robert Wagner, Robert Culp etc.  

Who's Up next?

• 2 weeks later...

In the last episode of the first season of this show, the main characters are told of a time anomaly that must be resolved by their going back in time and reliving the freak incident that served as the premise of the show in the first place. The characters comply, and as a result have to relive the first season... which explains the reruns. Get it? Lol!

The show lasted three seasons and inspired a movie more than 30 years later (which did not do well).

One of the main characters in the movie version played a character in an unrelated movie, but that character's name was a play on the names of the main characters of this show.

Obviously closer with the second guess than the first, but no, not Lost in Space.

If you look closely at my clue, there's a tiny hint that doesn't even look like a hint. You might only get the hint AFTER you've figured out the show. That would be a laugh.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:47 AM, Raf said:

In the last episode of the first season of this show, the main characters are told of a time anomaly that must be resolved by their going back in time and reliving the freak incident that served as the premise of the show in the first place. The characters comply, and as a result have to relive the first season... which explains the reruns. Get it? Lol!

The show lasted three seasons and inspired a movie more than 30 years later (which did not do well).

One of the main characters in the movie version played a character in an unrelated movie, but that character's name was a play on the names of the main characters of this show.

If you look closely at my clue, there's a tiny hint that doesn't even look like a hint. You might only get the hint AFTER you've figured out the show.

That would be a laugh.

The hint that doesn't even look like a hint? That would be a laugh. Get it? L.O.L. Land Of the Lost.

Anyway, you're up.

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Just for completeness' sake, what was the meaning of this clue:

George

Since Raf didn't post it, I looked it up.

*banjo music*

"Marshall, Will and Holly

On a routine expedition

Met the greatest earthquake ever known. ) ..."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457400/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

"When Will Ferrell's character is singing with the banjo one of the lines is 'Marshall, Will and Holly'. Will Ferrell played Federal Wildlife Marshall Willenholly in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001). "