GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

For the sake of anyone reading, let's just call it a draw...

Bosom Buddies

Tom Hanks became uber famous for Splash. 

I never noticed the palm trees.

WW, if you come up with something first, go ahead. I won't rush.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a show that wasn't too hard to sell to international markets.  It's got a broad appeal- partly because it's slice-of-life (believe it or not) and partly because the actual episodes require NO TRANSLATION WHATSOEVER (the opening and title might need them, however.)  It started as a spin-off of a series of shorts, and itself spun off a children's show.  This show, technically, IS a children's show, but has broad appeal to the adults that understand it better than the children.   It's got voice actors, which is a little surreal for the actors sometimes since there are no spoken words during the episodes.   It proved popular enough to be the basis of a theatrical movie- with a sequel supposedly being worked on right now.

If it's got voice actors but no words (and, therefore, no need for translation), the actors must be making other sounds.  I would guess, animal sounds. (If they were aliens, speaking gibberish, I would still technically call that words.)

Can't think of such a show, though.

George

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

If it's got voice actors but no words (and, therefore, no need for translation), the actors must be making other sounds.  I would guess, animal sounds. (If they were aliens, speaking gibberish, I would still technically call that words.)

Can't think of such a show, though.

George

I'd agree with your logic so far.   Well, there was one movie already released, based on it. Another's in the works, allegedly.  So, the movie wasn't that long ago. 

(I was able to follow the RUSSIAN version of the movie almost entirely.  You won't have a problem watching the show in Hungarian.  No, those languages are not any kind of clue. The originals are all in English.)

15 hours ago, WordWolf said:

This is a show that wasn't too hard to sell to international markets.  It's got a broad appeal- partly because it's slice-of-life (believe it or not) and partly because the actual episodes require NO TRANSLATION WHATSOEVER (the opening and title might need them, however.)  It started as a spin-off of a series of shorts, and itself spun off a children's show.  This show, technically, IS a children's show, but has broad appeal to the adults that understand it better than the children.   It's got voice actors, which is a little surreal for the actors sometimes since there are no spoken words during the episodes.   It proved popular enough to be the basis of a theatrical movie- with a sequel supposedly being worked on right now.

It's "slice-of-life" on the farm for the farmer and his animals-whom he thinks are pretty stupid (except for the sheepdog.)  When he's not looking, they lead more interesting lives.  Even the humans don't get dialogue (they can grunt and get irritated, make happy sounds, etc. The animals all make their expected sounds, with occasional sighs and laughs and so on.   The show is really funny, and kids get the visuals but miss a lot of the jokes.  It spun off of "Wallace and Grommitt", and little Timmy spun off into "Timmy Time", where he begins preschool as a toddler (older than in StS.)    There was a "Shaun the Sheep" full length movie. It had a little text and no dialogue whatsoever.  And you really should watch some of the cartoons. Many are on YT right now, and you can understand a version in any language since the opening is the only thing that gets translated.

• 1 month later...

I recognize the 2nd and 4th names there.  I'm not sure about what show I've seen the name of the actress in.  Phil Lamarr is a voice actor when he's not getting shot in the face by Travolta.    Katey Segal does the voice of Leela in "FUTURAMA" so I doubt this is that show.   I'm wondering if she plays the Mom opposite Peter Deluise in "Wizards of Waverly Place." 

*very wild swing*  Is this "ELENA OF AVALOR"?????

On 3/29/2012 at 2:27 PM, WordWolf said:

It looked like he was pointing that at me, although I'm probably misinterpreting him.

I know Farrah Fawcett was there, and I think Cheryl Tiegs and Kate Smith

were there, and that's all I've got.

For someone who never watched the show, and who heard what he did hear was decades ago,

I think that's pretty good.

Next round.

There were two television shows that featured a "Richard Hatch" on them.

(Not character names, those were the real people.)

Name either television show.

(For bragging rights, name both and who each Richard Hatch was in there.)

Kate Smith was a singer.

On 5/14/2012 at 4:03 PM, WordWolf said:

The powers that be for the show went around the US and then went to Washington DC and parked in front

of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue during the Cuban Missile Crisis-which they had no idea was happening

at the time and they wondered why the President didn't come out to meet them.

(That wasn't an episode, they traveled around.)

It's in syndication now. I was watching it on TV the other month.

BTW, there were THREE movies if you count the entire ensemble and not just the main

characters. I forgot that. (No, they weren't GOOD movies.)

Bullwinkle.

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I recognize the 2nd and 4th names there.  I'm not sure about what show I've seen the name of the actress in.  Phil Lamarr is a voice actor when he's not getting shot in the face by Travolta.    Katey Segal does the voice of Leela in "FUTURAMA" so I doubt this is that show.   I'm wondering if she plays the Mom opposite Peter Deluise in "Wizards of Waverly Place." 

*very wild swing*  Is this "ELENA OF AVALOR"?????

Never heard of it, so, no.

While Grace answers clues from years ago  :wave: I'll give a few more names.  This will now be easy, at least for WW:

George Newbern

Phil Lamarr

Carl Lumbly

Maria Canals-Barrera

Kevin Conroy

Susan Eisenberg

Michael Rosenbaum

George

50 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Is this a "JUSTICE LEAGUE" cartoon?  (JLU, etc.)

Yes.  I would have accepted either "Justice League" or "Justice League Unlimited" (but not "Justice League Action" -- Conroy is the only one from the list in that one).

George Newbern -- Superman

Phil Lamarr -- Green Lantern (John Stewart)

Carl Lumbly -- Martian Manhunter

Maria Canals-Barrera -- Hawkgirl

Kevin Conroy -- Batman

Susan Eisenberg -- Wonder Woman

Michael Rosenbaum -- Flash

George

Next one. The category is "old cartoons."

A)One cartoon spinoff of a live-action show sent the ensemble into space.

B) One cartoon spinoff of a live-action show sent the ensemble into time.

C) One cartoon spinoff of a live-action show portrayed the show as set in the future.

Name any TWO shows, or all three for bragging rights.

15 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Is this actually ONE show? "

No, it is three shows. I counted.

"The Partridge Family had a spin-off called The Partridge Family 2200 AD (C),"

Correct- they portrayed the show as set in the future."

"...which had the family transported through time... "

INcorrect- the show's premise was that 2200 AD was their present and that was not due to time travel, just existing in linear time like normal people. If they were "transported", we would have seen the contemporary family dealing with a future they were learning to navigate, and comparing it to the time they left. To them, 2200 AD was business as usual.

"...and was later re-titled The Partridge Family in Outer Space (A)."

And it was misnamed that INCORRECTLY, since all the stories took place on a future Earth that resembled The Jetsons.  As a kid, that bothered me.

So, you named ONE show.

C) One cartoon spinoff of a live-action show portrayed the show as set in the future.

8 hours ago, Raf said:

A) Gilligan's Planet

?

Correct, a cartoon spinoff that sent the ensemble into space.  The Professor made a wooden spaceship on the island. Gilligan, naturally, knocked it off course and they ended up on "Gilligan's Planet." I kid you not.

We're missing the time-lost ensemble.

On 30/7/2017 at 1:47 PM, WordWolf said:

Next one. The category is "old cartoons."

Ok, closing out the rest of the round.  George was correct about C being "The Patridge Family 2200 AD." Raf was correct about A being "Gilligan's Planet."  The live-action show whose ensemble was sent into time was "The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang."  Fonzie, Richie and his friends, and Fonzie's cute pet sidekick Mr Cool end up on a space/timeship. Fonzie's mojo can fix the damaged ship- and does- but then the pilot loses them in time. So, she's part of the cartoon's cast as well.

Either of you takes the round.