GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

This show, which lasted 11 years, debuted dead last in the Nielsen ratings.

There were two spin-offs from the show.  One lasted 11 years; the other, less than one season.

One of the actors had so much trouble remembering his lines that he had them written down all around the set.  (Note:  Marilyn Monroe did essentially the same thing on the set of "Some Like it Hot"; John Hamilton did something similar on "The Adventures of Superman" (the papers "Perry White" always had in his hands had his lines on them).

George

• 3 weeks later...

The original title for this show was "Please Stand By". But, America was facing the Cuban Missile Crisis and the executives thought it might make people fearful of an air raid.

An example of a television network deliberately killing a popular series by moving it to an inappropriate slot on their schedule. This series was a big hit, especially among younger viewers. For the second season, ABC moved it from Monday nights to 7:30 Saturday. It was not only an inappropriate timeslot for younger viewers, it served as the lead-in for The Lawrence Welk Show (1955) and was scheduled opposite the highly popular Jackie Gleason: American Scene Magazine (1962) on CBS. The series was pulled halfway into the second season.

George

I understand your thinking, but AB lasted WAY longer than two seasons!

The series was brought back in 1995 on Showtime (and later, the Sci-Fi Channel).  The only actors to appear in the original and the revival were Leonard Nimoy, David McCallum, Cliff Robertson, Barbara Rush and Peter Breck.

Many scenes and some entire episodes of the series were filmed on location at series creator Joseph Stefano's home called Villa Di Stefano, from which the production company took its name.

The original title for this show was "Please Stand By". But, America was facing the Cuban Missile Crisis and the executives thought it might make people fearful of an air raid.

An example of a television network deliberately killing a popular series by moving it to an inappropriate slot on their schedule. This series was a big hit, especially among younger viewers. For the second season, ABC moved it from Monday nights to 7:30 Saturday. It was not only an inappropriate timeslot for younger viewers, it served as the lead-in for The Lawrence Welk Show (1955) and was scheduled opposite the highly popular Jackie Gleason: American Scene Magazine (1962) on CBS. The series was pulled halfway into the second season.

George

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

Mrs Wolf thinks it MIGHT be "Mission Impossible."   I'm pretty confident it's NOT "In Search Of". 

You are correct.  (It's NOT "In Search of.")  Nor is Mrs W correct.

The show is often compared to a similar series which aired about the same time.  The other series dealt more with paranormal experiences, however; this show was almost all sci-fi.

The series was brought back in 1995 on Showtime (and later, the Sci-Fi Channel).  The only actors to appear in the original and the revival were Leonard Nimoy, David McCallum, Cliff Robertson, Barbara Rush and Peter Breck.

Many scenes and some entire episodes of the series were filmed on location at series creator Joseph Stefano's home called Villa Di Stefano, from which the production company took its name.

George

Here's 4 cooking shows. Name ANY to take the round.

A) Robert Irvine gets surprised with a new challenge where he has to cook an evening meal for a lot of people under unusually difficult circumstances.

B)  4 chefs compete in making a dish- but can buy things that sabotage the other chefs to make their dish bad or harder to make.

C) Guy Fieri takes over a huge supermarket, and 4 cooks have to try to cook a dish with the ingredients there, with whatever challenges he states for the round.

D) A home cook brings their top recipes, then competes against a professional chef at each one, winning money if they can beat the judges at making the dish.

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I don't watch food shows, anymore, but I did when I was married.  :rolleyes:

I think I know (A), but I'm more certain that (D) is Throwdown with Bobby Flay.

George

*looks it up* Sadly, "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" does NOT match the description of (D).   TWBF has a cook prepare ONE dish against ONE chef.   (BTW< my description was awkward at the end.  It should read "winning money of they beat the chefs at making the dish, as judged by a panel of normal folk."

A) Robert Irvine gets surprised with a new challenge where he has to cook an evening meal for a lot of people under unusually difficult circumstances. Sometimes he is unable to complete the mission in the allotted time.

B)  4 chefs compete in making a dish- but can buy things that sabotage the other chefs to make their dish bad or harder to make. The Spanish language version is called "Sabotage in the Kitchen." (Sabotaje En La Cocina.) Alton Brown hosts this show.

C) Guy Fieri takes over a huge supermarket, and 4 cooks have to try to cook a dish with the ingredients there, with whatever challenges he states for the round.

D) A home cook brings their 5 top recipes, then competes against a professional chef at each one. As each chef is introduced, the home cook chooses which dish they will both attempt to make (ideally, something the professional is unfamiliar with.) The dishes in each round are judged by 5 normal people, with a majority determining the winner. The home cook wins money, the chef saves face.

21 hours ago, WordWolf said:

A) Robert Irvine gets surprised with a new challenge where he has to cook an evening meal for a lot of people under unusually difficult circumstances. Sometimes he is unable to complete the mission in the allotted time.

B)  4 chefs compete in making a dish- but can buy things that sabotage the other chefs to make their dish bad or harder to make. The Spanish language version is called "Sabotage in the Kitchen." (Sabotaje En La Cocina.) Alton Brown hosts this show.

D) A home cook brings their 5 top recipes, then competes against a professional chef at each one. As each chef is introduced, the home cook chooses which dish they will both attempt to make (ideally, something the professional is unfamiliar with.) The dishes in each round are judged by 5 normal people, with a majority determining the winner. The home cook wins money, the chef saves face.

I was curious if anyone knew the others.  But, here they are.

A) Was "Dinner Impossible.:"   B) was "Cutthroat Kitchen."      C) was "Guy's Grocery Games."      D) was "Food Fighters", and that was on NBC.   They're all watchable, but A & B should have a broad appeal.   I suspect C was inspired by B. 

Match the Star Trek series (Original, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise) with their final episodes:

Endgame

What You Leave Behind

These Are the Voyages...

Turnabout Intruder

All Good Things

George

(If you do not get all of them correct, I will tell you the number you DID get correct, but not which ones they were.  Must get all five to win.)

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge