GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

On 9/21/2017 at 10:28 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Match the Star Trek series (Original, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise) with their final episodes:

Endgame

What You Leave Behind

These Are the Voyages...

Turnabout Intruder

All Good Things

George

(If you do not get all of them correct, I will tell you the number you DID get correct, but not which ones they were.  Must get all five to win.)

Since I have a few minutes, I'll take one shot while I can. (Mrs Wolf and I didn't have spare time for this.)

"Turnabout Intruder" was the Original Series' finale.  "All Good Things" was the finale for NextGen.  I think "What You Leave Behind" ended Deep Space 9 (Mrs Wolf would know for sure.)  That leaves 2 and 2.  I think Voyager ended with a fight, which would suggest Voyager ended with "Endgame." I think Enterprise was the one that ended with all the quotes, so I suspect that was "These Are the Voyages..."  

Whether I'm right or wrong, carry on without me for now, I'm heading out on vacation.

• 5 weeks later...

This show's original run covered the 60s in its entirety- but the syndication only covered the later part of the 60s. Decisions to end syndication by the networks signaled the end of the series because that crippled the show's budget.   It featured 2 main characters- which ones changed as the series progressed.  Its greatest successes where when it was treated as a light comedy and not a serious show of any kind, and they freely adapted old episodes and old movies for plots-which worked for them.

At one point, Pierre Cardin was designing for both main characters.

The French title for the series mentions leather boots, the Polish one mentions a revolver.

This show's original run covered the 60s in its entirety- but the syndication only covered the later part of the 60s. Decisions to end syndication by the networks signaled the end of the series because that crippled the show's budget.   It featured 2 main characters- which ones changed as the series progressed.  Its greatest successes where when it was treated as a light comedy and not a serious show of any kind, and they freely adapted old episodes and old movies for plots-which worked for them.

At one point, Pierre Cardin was designing for both main characters.

The French title for the series mentions leather boots, the Polish one mentions a revolver (both of one character) while both also mention the hat worn by the other character.

8 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Is this "the Avengers"?

This IS "the Avengers".  Or "Bowler hat and leather boots", or "With Umbrella, Charm and Bowler Hat"  or "A Revolver and a Bowler Hat", depending on which language you used to watch the show.  John Steed worked alongside several partners, including Emma Peel and Tara King.

• 1 month later...

Not including animated or reality tv or talk shows name four of the top five television series to produce the most spin offs?  So like, the show "Pawn Stars" has produced three spin offs.  Cajun Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and Counting Cars.  OK.  I think it's going to be kind of easy for you guys to come up with this.  So that's why I am asking for four of the top five.

I'm not sure that sequels count as spin-offs, so Star Trek probably isn't on the list.

I'm thinking that the Mary Tyler Moore Show and All in the Family are there, maybe M*A*S*H.  On the serious side, maybe Law and Order and CSI.  I Love Lucy had a number of variations (Here's Lucy, the Lucy Show, etc.); but again, I'm not sure they count. 

I can think of a few other shows with a couple of spin-offs, but these are the ones I know of with at least three.

George

You've got a couple there George.  I should have added no sequels to the list.  This premise is simple.  Some great shows on television affected more of the same and the results were great spin-offs.  I'm not looking for Law and Order Miami, New York, etc. just some of the originals shows that held up and arguably now are still as good as anything on the tube today since the 90's.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:20 AM, Human without the bean said:

Not including animated or reality tv or talk shows or sequels, name four of the top five television series to produce the most spin offs?  So like, the show "Pawn Stars" has produced three spin offs.  Cajun Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and Counting Cars.  OK.  I am asking for four of the top five.

I'll give up one (Happy Days) and George had All in the Family that's two.

12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

How many spin-offs did Happy Days have?  I can think of Joanie Loves Chachi, and I think there was one about Al's Diner; but that's only two.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show had at least three (Phyllis, Rhoda, and Lou Grant).

George

I'm using a link from wikipedia and I see at least 5 spinoffs for all the top series who spinned off.  (Ha Ha) 

Happy Days had 6 spinoffs.  All in The Family had 5.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a list from a wikipedia website that I found with the most spinoffs from a tv series.  Television spin-offs

Top Five with the Most spinoffs are:  

All in The Family    1971-79   5 spinoffs.  Two others Checking In (1981) and Good Times (1974) are potentially included. 

Maude (1972)

The Jeffersons (1975)

Archie Bunker's Place (1979)

Gloria (1982)

704 Hauser (1994)

Happy Days  1974-84   5 spin-offs

Laverne & Shirley  (1976-83)

Blansky's Beauties   (1977)

Mork & Mindy  (1978-82)

Out of the Blue (1979)

Joanie LOves Chachi (1982-83)

Armchair Theatre  1956-74   6 spin-offs   (I remember seeing episodes of some of these).

Armchair Mystery Theatre (1960)

Out of This World  (1962)

Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width  (1967-71)

Callan (1967-72)

Armchair Thriller (1967, 78-81)

Armchair 30  (1973)

All That  1994, 2000, 2002-05    6 spin-offs  Those of us with kids will recognize some of these from Nickelodeon.

Kablam  (1996-00)

Kenan & Kel   (1996-00)

Guys Like Us  (1998-99)

The Amanda Show  (1999-02)

The Nick Cannon Show  (2002-03)

Just Jordan  (1997-08)

Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre  1956-61   6 spin-offs

Trackdown (1957-59)

The Rifleman  (1958-63)

Black Saddle  (1959-60)

Johnny Ringo  (1959=60)

The Westerner  (1960)

The Dick Powell Show (1961-63 a.k.a.  Dick Powell Theatre)

Doctor Who  1963-89, 1996, 2006-   5 spin-offs

K-9 and Company  (1981)

Torchwood  (2006-11)

The Sarah Jane Adventures  (2007-11)

K-9   (2009-10)

Class (2016)

And finally, a British tv series,  Comedy Playhouse  1961-75, 2014   6 spin-offs

Steptoe and Son  (1962-74)

Till Death Do Us Part (1966-71)

All Gas and Gaiters  (1966-71)

The Liver Birds  (1969-78, 96)

Are You Being Served  (1972-85)

Last of the Summer Wine  (1973-2010)  The longest running sitcom of all time.

Free Post

Edited by Human without the bean
to correct those pesky grammar errors I made

Dr Who didn't count as a British TV series?

I question the validity of naming all of those "spinoffs."  We had characters appear as regulars in a show then go off for their own show (Joey from Friends, Frasier and The Tortellis from Cheers, etc.)     Both "Mork and Mindy" and "Out of the Blue" were introduced in "Happy Days" in crossover episodes, then continued with their own shows without any further mention of "Happy Days" (M&M's pilot episode did but not the rest.)  "All in the Family" became "Archie Bunker's Place"-that was a change, not a spinoff. 

Well it's certainly is your right to question whether the spinoffs named by IMDB are correct or not.  They define a spin-off as "a new series which contains either characters, a different character or theme elements from a previous series".  If Mork was a character from "Happy Days" then "Mork and Mindy" would be a spin-off.  I think this is valid . IMDB also defines a spin-off as  "characters [who] "are engineered" to introduce a new character on the original television series, just so that character can anchor the new spin-off".

I really don't want to debate about this with you WW.  I will agree with you though that there is some trouble when you make another show about the same thing and just change the name of the show.  "Archie Bunker's Place" was not a spin-off but what fun it is to talk about it in this forum.

I disagree with them as to whether it counts as a spinoff under 2 specific circumstances.

A) The show changes name- that is, "All in the Family" turning into "Archie Bunker's Place."

B) When a character's first appearance is in a single episode of a show-and their second appearance is a pilot of a new series that never interacts with the original show. So, I think it's fine to say Joey Tribbiani from "Friends" spun off into "Joey", and Frasier Crane and the Tortellis spun off "Cheers" into their own shows.  All those characters either were regulars or appeared several times.    IIRC, Matt Le Blanc appeared ONCE on "Married With Children" as Kelly's boyfriend, then his second appearance as that character was in the series pilot "Top of the Heap." If I'm correct, I don't count that as a "spin-off." The character was introduced briefly into one show, then their own show was introduced. 

Nobody counts DC's Arrowverse shows as spinning off each other. Barry Allen appeared in a 2-parter in "Arrow" before "the Flash" began, and that's not counted as a spin-off. "Legends of Tomorrow" began with most of the principal cast having been introduced in "Arrow" or "Flash", and that's not counted as a spin-off- and those characters were recurring or regulars.

The whole point of the one-appearance "spin-off" is to introduce the character to the viewing audience of a show before the new show airs.  Their existence there doesn't impact on either show in the long run.    Contrast that, say, with "Angel" spinning off "Buffy".  Even when the casts don't meet up, there's references back and forth, and telephone calls where we only hear one side (which saves money on actor salaries.) 

All of that, of course, is me disagreeing with them.

I would tend to agree with WW, here.  For instance, the characters of NCIS appeared in an episode of JAG, but the purpose of that episode was to introduce the new series.  (One of the JAG regulars, though, has recently appeared in a few episodes of NCIS: LA.  Still, I wouldn't call that a spin-off.)

On the other hand, I don't blame Human for using IMDb's lists.  It's not as if one of us is going to peruse all of TV history to make up his own list.

Anyway, it's a new year, and a FREE POST.  Anyone up for it?

George