GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

13 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I'll give you "Archie Bunker's Place". but not "Mork and Mindy." Laverne and Shirley were in "Happy Days" before they spun off, IIRC, for a few appearances. but Mork ONLY appeared in his back-door pilot- which ended with him jumping forward in time to "the present" (as of original airing)  and Boulder, Colorado from Milwaukee...

My last word (because who cares, really?
This is incorrect. Mork was a one off character for Happy Days. The plan for a series came when people reacted to the character. That's why the original Happy Days episode where he appeared was just a dream. Only later was it retconned that it really happened. 

I'm trying to remember if the series premiere was directly at the end of the "Happy Days" episode- which I think it was. The first time the episode aired, the episode was said to "all be a dream of Ritchie's" and outside the house, Mork reported in, confirmed he was traveling to Boulder in 197x, and faded away.   That sounds nothing to me like a one-off character who was never meant to have his own show, especially if I remember correctly that he had the 8:30pm slot right behind "Happy Days."   But the scene with Mork outside was not tacked on later, it was in the episode's premiere when it aired in NYC.   (The series premiere of M&M also had Fonzie make a cameo, IIRC.)

On 2/5/2018 at 1:53 PM, Raf said:

Ok, sorry... the ending you remember was not part of the original broadcast.You are mistaken. It WAS added later and tacked on.

The Happy Days episode aired in February 1978. Mork and Mindy premiered Sept. 1978. A little longer than "directly at the end."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Favorite_Orkan

*thinks*

I think what may have happened, is that I missed the original airing of the "Happy Days" episode, and only saw it when it aired directly leading into the series premier of "Mork And Mindy." If that's the first time I saw it, then I'd remember it as the original airing when it was the first one I saw, not the first time it aired.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you name twelve DC or Marvel superheroes who have or have had their own series, either live-action or animated?

Only broadcast (including cable) channels (though, for extra credit, you could name the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu ones, as well).

Single heroes, not teams, so no Avengers, Super-Friends, X-Men, etc.  The show should have a main hero, though he/she may have other super-heroes on the show.  For example, "Arrow" is about Green Arrow, although it also features Black Canary, Mr. Terrific, etc.

A super-hero who has had more than one show only counts once.

There may very well be more than 12 correct answers.  I just came up with that many without a lot of thought.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Can you name twelve DC or Marvel superheroes who have or have had their own series, either live-action or animated?

Only broadcast (including cable) channels (though, for extra credit, you could name the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu ones, as well).

Single heroes, not teams, so no Avengers, Super-Friends, X-Men, etc.  The show should have a main hero, though he/she may have other super-heroes on the show.  For example, "Arrow" is about Green Arrow, although it also features Black Canary, Mr. Terrific, etc.

A super-hero who has had more than one show only counts once.

There may very well be more than 12 correct answers.  I just came up with that many without a lot of thought.

George

Ok, each hero getting one makes it a lot harder (Superman, Batman and Spiderman could fill the dozen.)  So,

1) Superman (live-action B & W, color with Lois and Clark, Smallville, Superman-the Animated Series....)

2) Batman (live-action 1966, cartoon from the 1960s, cartoon from 1977 with Bat-mite, the Animated Series, The Batman....)

3) Wonder Woman (live-action series with Linda Carter)

Witchblade (Yancy Butler) was basic cable, IIRC-but was neither DC nor Marvel so is off the list.  

The Green Hornet, the Lone Ranger and Zorro were never DC nor Marvel comics, so they don't count.

4) Spiderman (live action 70s show, 60s cartoon, His Amazing Friends....)

5) Plastic-Man (70s cartoons-there were 2)

6) Captain Marvel/Shazam!  had both a 70s live-action show, and "The Kids Super-Power Hour...with Shazam!"  To be fair, I'm throwing in Isis because it was the same show, and she wasn't a comic book character until a few years ago (during 52, IIRC.)

7)  "Black Lightning" now has his own show (after decades of alternate versions of him as "Black Vulcan", "Soul Power", etc.   Since "Static Shock" was from Milestone, I won't count him on the list (even though they joined DC later.)

8) Flash (60s cartoon, as well as the 2 live-action TV shows.)

9)  Atom. Green Lantern, Aquaman and Hawkman all had 60s cartoons, I will count all of those as one show since they tended to all air together.

10) Iron Man (Armored Adventures and the other cartoons.)

11) Captain America-the live-action show, the motion-capture comic cartoon, etc.

12) The Hulk (regular cartoon, motion-capture comic, live-action show, etc)

13) The Sub-Mariner and Thor both had  motion-capture comic cartoons, Thor appeared in a Hulk live TV special,  as did DareDevil )

The Blue Beetle appeared on "the Electric Company" but was a walk-on, so he doesn't count.

14) John Constantine had his own live-action series.

15) Swamp Thing had a live-action series and a kids' cartoon. (Why?)

16) Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld had shorts on Cartoon Network.

17) Flash Gordon was a tv serial and a cartoon, and there was a DC AND a Marvel comic of him!

18) Chris Chance, the Human Target had a live-action show

19) Supergirl (current live-action series)

20) Green Arrow (current live-action series)

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, each hero getting one makes it a lot harder (Superman, Batman and Spiderman could fill the dozen.)  So,

9)  Atom. Green Lantern, Aquaman and Hawkman all had 60s cartoons, I will count all of those as one show since they tended to all air together.

If I'm not mistaken, these (and the Flash 60s cartoon) were all shorts in the "Superman-Aquaman Hour of Adventure," so I'm not sure I'd count them.  Green Lantern did, however, have a cartoon a couple of years ago.

Excellent job, though!

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Before the show was set to air, one of the actors asked another what he thought their chances for success were. The second said he thought they "didn't have a chance". When asked why, he responded, "Because the audience for this show is me, and I don't watch TV."

As one character became more popular, his entrance applause grew so prolonged, that the cast complained it was ruining the pacing of their scenes. Directors subsequently asked the audience not to applaud so much when that actor entered.

One of the creators was quite volatile in meetings with NBC executives, and would often outright refuse to accept their notes and suggestions. He was eventually banned from attending the meetings.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

• 2 weeks later...

Before the show was set to air, one of the actors asked another what he thought their chances for success were. The second said he thought they "didn't have a chance". When asked why, he responded, "Because the audience for this show is me, and I don't watch TV."

As one character became more popular, his entrance applause grew so prolonged, that the cast complained it was ruining the pacing of their scenes. Directors subsequently asked the audience not to applaud so much when that actor entered.

One of the creators was quite volatile in meetings with NBC executives, and would often outright refuse to accept their notes and suggestions. He was eventually banned from attending the meetings.

One of only three series in American history to rank number one in the ratings for its entire final network season. The other two were I Love Lucy (1951) and The Andy Griffith Show (1960).

During the original airing of the finale, MTV aired original cartoons that were specially timed to fit into the finale's commercial breaks, so that viewers could freely watch both of them and not worry about missing anything.

The original script was called "Stand Up". It was to be a ninety-minute mockumentary about how a stand-up comedian writes his jokes based on his everyday life. It was to air in place of Saturday Night Live (1975) for one night. NBC liked the script so much, that they decided to develop it into a pilot instead.

George

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Only one show comes to mind.

Star Trek.  (The original pilot, "The Cage," was repurposed as the two-part "The Menagerie.")

George

Yeah, probably too easy.  We just watched "The Cage" and the first 3-4 episodes aired, so it was on my mind.

This wildly popular show (at the time) would probably not even be produced today, as it frequently displayed iconography which is out of style, today.

Speaking of style, one of the characters' outfits were so popular that they are still referred today by that character's name.  (And, thankfully, that outfit is still popular.) 

George