GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

An Earl isn't exactly a Duke, but Rissk translates well to Hazzard, so I'll give it to you.

The car not only had the Confederate flag on it, but it was also called the General Lee.  Ah, simpler times!

And, of course, short-short jeans are still called "Daisy Dukes."

WW's up.

George

Ok, this is a round of short-lived "historical" shows, name any to take the round.

A) This show was meant as a comedy, but actually made a lot of sense in terms of the story.  This series showed a main character "passing the torch" to his successor,  which was always part of the narrative when it was meant as serious stories.     It lasted 5 episodes.  It took place in California, and introduced a new character named Carlos.

B) This show also took place in California.  The theme-song was sung by Jose Feliciano.   It lasted for 8 episodes despite 22 episodes having been filmed and completed.  A DVD version was later released in France under the title "Sous Le Signe de L'Épée."

C) This show took place in France.  It lasted 13 episodes.  One of the main characters was the son of a famous character in literature, the others were all new.  The cast included Bruce Boxleitner,  Michael Ironside, and Sheena Easton.

I know French, but the literal translation "Under the Sign of the Sword" doesn't help.  I suspect that the French isn't a translation of the English title.  Set in California, it COULD be a Zorro show, but it's not the old Guy Williams version.

I MIGHT get the third choice, with a bit more help.  Sheena Easton in a TV show sounds familiar.

George

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I know French, but the literal translation "Under the Sign of the Sword" doesn't help.  I suspect that the French isn't a translation of the English title.  Set in California, it COULD be a Zorro show, but it's not the old Guy Williams version.

I MIGHT get the third choice, with a bit more help.  Sheena Easton in a TV show sounds familiar.

George

The "B" show does not include a Zorro, and AFAIK, never mentions a Zorro under any circumstances.

Ok, this is a round of short-lived "historical" shows, name any to take the round.

A) This show was meant as a comedy, but actually made a lot of sense in terms of the story.  This series showed a main character "passing the torch" to his successor,  which was always part of the narrative when it was meant as serious stories.     It lasted 5 episodes.  It took place in California, and introduced a new character named Carlos.

B) This show also took place in California.  The theme-song was sung by Jose Feliciano.   It lasted for 8 episodes despite 22 episodes having been filmed and completed.  A DVD version was later released in France under the title "Sous Le Signe de L'Épée." The main character was female.

C) This show took place in France.  It lasted 13 episodes.  One of the main characters was the son of a famous character in literature, the others were all new.  The cast included Bruce Boxleitner,  Michael Ironside, and Sheena Easton.  Karen Cliche was in the principal cast.

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The only show I know with Karen Cliché was Adventure, Inc., but it did not have any of those other stars.

George

Told you it was "short-lived."  BTW, the shows so far all have something in common besides getting pulled off the air fast.  I'm sure you've either figured it out already, or can figure it out.

A) This show was meant as a comedy, but actually made a lot of sense in terms of the story.  This series showed a main character "passing the torch" to his successor,  which was always part of the narrative when it was meant as serious stories.     It lasted 5 episodes.  It took place in California, and introduced a new character named Carlos.  The title references 2 characters- one is a famous, established character and the other was invented for the series, AFAIK.

B) This show also took place in California.  The theme-song was sung by Jose Feliciano.   It lasted for 8 episodes despite 22 episodes having been filmed and completed.  A DVD version was later released in France under the title "Sous Le Signe de L'Épée." The main character/title character was female.  A supporting character is a gypsy, and she reads Tarot cards a lot. Tessie Santiago probably owes winning the role to dyeing her hair black before her first audition to conform to Hollywood stereotypes.

C) This show took place in France.  It lasted 13 episodes.  One of the main characters was the son of a famous character in literature, the others were all new.  The cast included Bruce Boxleitner,  Michael Ironside, and Sheena Easton.  Karen Cliche was in the principal cast-and played one of the title characters.  Their job title is instantly recognizable. However, as always, it's a misnomer. None of them are sharpshooters-they use a different type of weapon. One twist is that Karen Cliche's character is impersonating someone else, for a VERY obvious reason to an even casual viewer.

D) This show spun off another show. It took place in modern times. The original idea was to introduce 5 different new characters into the parent shows, and spin off one of them, or all of them, into a new series. That idea failed, so they spun off a recurring character as the title character (singular.)  With 2 main characters played by actors who disliked each other, any possible chemistry between their characters was doomed to fail.  Add to that the lead actress' manager was a stalker AND she became convinced the CIA and President Clinton were after her.  (OK, he wasn't, but at least she had a reason to think the sitting President MIGHT have had someone looking into her specifically.)  The show was written-neither like the original show it spun off from nor the movie from which THAT was spun off- but began as another cop show, and had bad ratings that an interesting cliffhanger was unable to rescue- leaving the end of the series a big question mark for both of the main characters.  Oddly enough, she never appeared again, although the character COULD have returned with some of the others. We never heard what became of him.

The opening narration included this: "A thief, who stole the Sun and the Moon. They sent a warrior to bring her back. He found her. Together they brought back light to the world. I was a cop. To me she was just a thief. Another day on the job. But she wasn't. She changed my life, changed... everything. And both of us knew from that moment on, nothing would ever be the same."

The final lines of the final episode included this: "Once, everything was clear. Good guys, bad guys. Life and death. Then you meet someone, someone you want to love, then it all changes. Death brings life, life brings death."

A) This show was meant as a comedy, but actually made a lot of sense in terms of the story.  This series showed a main character "passing the torch" to his successor/offspring,  which was always part of the narrative when it was meant as serious stories.     It lasted 5 episodes.  It took place in California, and introduced a new character named Carlos.  The title references 2 characters- one is a famous, established character and the other was invented for the series, AFAIK.

B) This show also took place in California.  The theme-song was sung by Jose Feliciano.   It lasted for 8 episodes despite 22 episodes having been filmed and completed.  A DVD version was later released in France under the title "Sous Le Signe de L'Épée." The main character/title character was female.  A supporting character is a gypsy who reads Tarot cards a lot-and ends up naming the title character and thus the show.  Tessie Santiago probably owes winning the role to dyeing her hair black before her first audition to conform to Hollywood stereotypes.

C) This show took place in France.  It lasted 13 episodes.  One of the main characters was the son of a famous character in literature, the others were all new.  The cast included Bruce Boxleitner,  Michael Ironside, and Sheena Easton.  Karen Cliche was in the principal cast-and played one of the title characters.  Their job title is instantly recognizable. However, as always, it's a misnomer. None of them are sharpshooters-they use a different type of weapon. One twist is that Karen Cliche's character is impersonating someone else, for a VERY obvious reason to an even casual viewer.As with the other shows, this is not focused on the old guard, but the sharp cookies that replaced them.

D) This show spun off another show. It took place in modern times. The original idea was to introduce 5 different new characters into the parent shows, and spin off one of them, or all of them, into a new series. That idea failed, so they spun off a recurring character as the title character (singular.)  With 2 main characters played by actors who disliked each other, any possible chemistry between their characters was doomed to fail.  Add to that the lead actress' manager was a stalker AND she became convinced the CIA and President Clinton were after her.  (OK, he wasn't, but at least she had a reason to think the sitting President MIGHT have had someone looking into her specifically.)  The show was written-neither like the original show it spun off from nor the movie from which THAT was spun off- but began as another cop show, and had bad ratings that an interesting cliffhanger was unable to rescue- leaving the end of the series a big question mark for both of the main characters.  Oddly enough, she never appeared again, although the character COULD have returned with some of the others. We never heard what became of him.

The opening narration: " She is... immortal. A thousand years old, and she cannot die. A creature of legend, like the Raven. A thief, who stole the Sun and the Moon. They sent a warrior to bring her back. He found her. Together they brought back light to the world. I was a cop. To me she was just a thief. Another day on the job. But she wasn't. She changed my life, changed... everything. And both of us knew from that moment on, nothing would ever be the same."

The final lines of the final episode: "Once, everything was clear. Good guys, bad guys. Life and death. Then you meet someone, someone you want to love, then it all changes. Death brings life, life brings death.  What room is there for love, when there can be only one? "

A) This show was meant as a comedy, but actually made a lot of sense in terms of the story.  This series showed a main character "passing the torch" to his successor/offspring,  which was always part of the narrative when it was meant as serious stories.     It lasted 5 episodes.  It took place in California, and introduced a new character named Carlos.  The title references 2 characters- one is a famous, established character and the other was invented for the series, AFAIK.

B) This show also took place in California.  The theme-song was sung by Jose Feliciano.   It lasted for 8 episodes despite 22 episodes having been filmed and completed.  A DVD version was later released in France under the title "Sous Le Signe de L'Épée." The main character/title character was female.  A supporting character is a gypsy who reads Tarot cards a lot-and ends up naming the title character and thus the show.  Tessie Santiago probably owes winning the role to dyeing her hair black before her first audition to conform to Hollywood stereotypes.

C) This show took place in France.  It lasted 13 episodes.  One of the main characters was the son of a famous character in literature, the others were all new.  The cast included Bruce Boxleitner,  Michael Ironside, and Sheena Easton.  Karen Cliche was in the principal cast-and played one of the title characters.  Their job title is instantly recognizable. However, as always, it's a misnomer. None of them are sharpshooters-they use a different type of weapon. One twist is that Karen Cliche's character is impersonating someone else, for a VERY obvious reason to an even casual viewer(she's impersonating a guy, and can't keep the job as herself.) .As with the other shows, this is not focused on the old guard, but the sharp cookies that replaced them.

The opening narration: " She is... immortal. A thousand years old, and she cannot die. A creature of legend, like the Raven. A thief, who stole the Sun and the Moon. They sent a warrior to bring her back. He found her. Together they brought back light to the world. I was a cop. To me she was just a thief. Another day on the job. But she wasn't. She changed my life, changed... everything. And both of us knew from that moment on, nothing would ever be the same."

The final lines of the final episode: "Once, everything was clear. Good guys, bad guys. Life and death. Then you meet someone, someone you want to love, then it all changes. Death brings life, life brings death.  What room is there for love, when there can be only one? "

I have no idea.  As you point out, all of the shows were short-lived, meaning that (A) it's unlikely I saw any of them and (B) they were not famous enough for me to have heard of them.  I appreciate the level of detail you've included in the clues, but I'm still not getting any of them.

George

Not really.  Although you say that "Musketeers" doesn't appear in any of the titles, it still seems as though (C) could be about the group, as they were in France; and the title has something to do with guns, although they used different weapons (perhaps bow and arrow, though swords seem more likely).  As far as I know, only men could be Musketeers, so Karen Cliche's character would have to wear a disguise (a pity, as she's a gorgeous woman).

(A) could be something like the son of the Cisco Kid, since it's not about Zorro.

(D) might have something to do with (as the show, itself, or one of the spinoffs) "Forever Knight," the vampire cop, but I don't know who the lead actress was (if there even was one), much less any rumors about presidential mischief.

George

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Not really.  Although you say that "Musketeers" doesn't appear in any of the titles, it still seems as though (C) could be about the group, as they were in France; and the title has something to do with guns, although they used different weapons (perhaps bow and arrow, though swords seem more likely).  As far as I know, only men could be Musketeers, so Karen Cliche's character would have to wear a disguise (a pity, as she's a gorgeous woman).

(A) could be something like the son of the Cisco Kid, since it's not about Zorro.

(D) might have something to do with (as the show, itself, or one of the spinoffs) "Forever Knight," the vampire cop, but I don't know who the lead actress was (if there even was one), much less any rumors about presidential mischief.

George

A musket is a type of rifle. What you said about (C)  tracks very well.   You might even guess or stumble upon the name if you work at it (which I'm not requiring but it would be neat.)

Who said anything about who  (A) is or is not about?

None of the shows feature any vampire or vampires.   But there WAS an actress who was reputed to have engaged in some Presidential hanky-panky.  So, if (D) is not about vampires, what does that leave? 

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Who said anything about who  (A) is or is not about?

OK.  (B) has no Zorros.  There WAS a show called "Zorro and Son," which could be (A).

I know of a number of women with whom Clinton had affairs, but I don't remember who was an actress.

Still no closer on (C).  I tried googling "Riflemen" without success.

George

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

OK.  (B) has no Zorros.  There WAS a show called "Zorro and Son," which could be (A).

I know of a number of women with whom Clinton had affairs, but I don't remember who was an actress.

Still no closer on (C).  I tried googling "Riflemen" without success.

George

(A) was defintely "ZORRO AND SON."  I liked the show, and I was one of a handful of viewers.  There's a memorable moment in the first episode where Zorro is still swashbuckling after he should have retired, and manages to escape capture, only partly-admitting he's not as acrobatic as he was 15-20 years ago.  (It's on YT because I wasn't the only one who thought the clip was memorable.)  By the end of the episode, his son (recalled to his Dad's side because his Dad's aide thought Diego might get killed) has put on the costume and appeared as Zorro (with Diego present as "Zorro" gets the job done.)    I liked the concept, it was light, but it seemed to have too small an audience to survive. That and nobody seemed to have publicized it.

Eiizabeth Gracen is ALLEGED to have had a one-night-stand with the Governor of Arkansas in 1982 or 1983.   Kenneth Starr tried to subpoena her in 1998 about this. He was unsuccessful because she was out of the US filming a TV show at the time.

Calling "the Musketeers" musketeers will always be a misnomer because they didn't use muskets and they rarely even used pistols (blunderbusses), so they're NOT known for using any kind of firearm (neither rifles NOR pistols.)   Even their old guard never used them- and this show didn't follow the old guard with their weapons, it followed the not-old new arrivals with their traditional Musketeer weapons. (Come on, close your eyes and picture an armed Musketeer. What weapon is in his hand?)

In other news, for (D), your insistence on ignoring the quotes is keeping you from figuring out almost everything about the show. (And it's STILL never included vampires nor any form of the undead.)