GreaseSpot Cafe

"Moving The Word"

waysider

Looking back, it's pretty obvious to me that, when we used to talk about "moving the word", what we were really talking about was selling the PFAL class and recruiting new members for the group. When ex-Way people talk about "moving the word today", aren't they really talking about promoting a flawed system of theology, based on teachings of The Way? Why on earth would I want to do that or be proud of it?

I'm rambling.

I think I, in the beginning, believed that the PFAL did teach the Word of God and because of that belief, I wanted to "Move the Word" so everyone would hear it. The principle being, out of a heart of having something good, I would want to share it with people. Somewhere along the line it became about classes, and numbers etc...instead of being about people and God. Being out of TWI now, I have a different perspective of it. Everything has a different perspective, it just depends where you are standing and looking at it.

• Upvote 1

Looking back, it's pretty obvious to me that, when we used to talk about "moving the word", what we were really talking about was selling the PFAL class and recruiting new members for the group. When ex-Way people talk about "moving the word today", aren't they really talking about promoting a flawed system of theology, based on teachings of The Way? Why on earth would I want to do that or be proud of it?

I'm rambling.

Well,

they've invested too much into it to decide to change.

If they've been wrong until now, they'll be content to be wrong

so long as there's less change and more moral certainties.

Being right is less important than being certain.

I think I, in the beginning, believed that the PFAL did teach the Word of God and because of that belief, I wanted to "Move the Word" so everyone would hear it. The principle being, out of a heart of having something good, I would want to share it with people. Somewhere along the line it became about classes, and numbers etc...instead of being about people and God. Being out of TWI now, I have a different perspective of it. Everything has a different perspective, it just depends where you are standing and looking at it.

We all MEANT well, but when the lies were exposed, that changed things for most of us.

It's ok to survive being young and naive-we were TRYING to do the right thing.

We were conned, and we know better now.

• Upvote 1

I no longer think in terms of "Moving the Word." I think in terms of "Sharing the Gospel." While in TWI I did think I was sharing the gospel by sharing the PFAL. It is often a fine line between sharing the gospel and sharing a specific doctrine. Just as there is often a fine line between giving your life to God and giving your life to a ministry (i.e. organization) It was quite a while before I realized that I had confused God with the Ministry. I'm so thankful now that I have it at least someone straighten out. And I've been out since the mid '70s.

• Upvote 1

"Moving the Word" to me was a cool kind of hippy Christian concept of helping God, doing Bible studies and inviting other people.

Of course, as they say, the devil is in the details. :evilshades:

When it turns into a managed sales quota, mandatory witnessing times, door to door sales, and "vision and direction" layers of control and reporting, then the meaning is something else altogether.

Do other Christian organisations actually use the phrase "moving the Word"?

I have heard "doing Kingdom work" and "sharing the gospel" and "bringing people to Christ" - but moving the Word? Nah.

"Moving the Word" to me was a cool kind of hippy Christian concept of helping God, doing Bible studies and inviting other people.

Of course, as they say, the devil is in the details. :evilshades:/>

When it turns into a managed sales quota, mandatory witnessing times, door to door sales, and "vision and direction" layers of control and reporting, then the meaning is something else altogether.

Helping God? How ridiculous that we thought we could "help" whatever God really is...

Helping God? How ridiculous that we thought we could "help" whatever God really is...

Yes, I'm sure that's ridiculous. Maybe my terminology didn't communicate my thoughts - helping God, serving God, same concept to me in my young Christian brain getting involved. It was a good feeling Christian family type group - that liked to study and teach the Bible, and share with others.

I'm sure that's what the upper level Pharisees wanted to and still want to promote as the public image and feel of the ministry - as that is what attracts the youth demographic. That's why they perform their insidious acts in private and do so much slandering and shunning to shut down communication of anything different. To preserve the rainbows and unicorns of their public image.

lol sunshine lollipops, rainbows, unicorns, and My Little Pony. btw how does one move the Word(JC)? oh, you mean the Bible. Just pick it up in your hands, hehe

• 3 years later...
On 10/16/2013 at 8:08 AM, waysider said:

I'm rambling.

Way, I got so tired of hearing that!!  It was as if the only purpose of our lives was to witness, sign people up for classes, and ABS.  Finally, I had enough of that garbage, and left!  I wanted my life back.  

On 10/16/2013 at 9:58 AM, newlife said:

NL, excellent post!!  It did become about numbers, and classes.  Somehow, God and people were left out.  I think TWI was a lot more interested in making money, than serving God. 

On 10/16/2013 at 11:03 AM, WordWolf said:

Well,

they've invested too much into it to decide to change.

If they've been wrong until now, they'll be content to be wrong

so long as there's less change and more moral certainties.

Being right is less important than being certain.

We all MEANT well, but when the lies were exposed, that changed things for most of us.

It's ok to survive being young and naive-we were TRYING to do the right thing.

We were conned, and we know better now.

NL, yes you are right.  Most of us were young, and trusting.  Now, most of us have learned the truth about TWI, and realise that VPW was a Con-Man, among other things.  

42 minutes ago, outandabout said:

Moving the Word made me miserable.  Then I was obligated and pressured into getting other people into something that was making me miserable, which made me more miserable.

downward-spiral.jpg

• Upvote 1

Grace, I believe that Jesus Christ alone and only should be called The Word(Logos), not the Bible(although important to study, not to worship).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Grace, I believe that Jesus Christ alone and only should be called The Word(Logos), not the Bible(although important to study, not to worship).

Thomas, what an amazing concept!!  Could, or would you explain why??  Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I thought JC was the Red Thread that ran through the entire Bible.

18 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Wow, Thomas your Post blew my mind !!!!

thanks !!!

As a Christian and former TWI follower - I think that is one of the most important things to always remember.

12 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Why, or is it something that you prefer not to share?

I felt under pressure to "get someone into the class"  in order to feel worthy.  I was once told not to show up at twig unless I had a new person with me.  (by the Lallyo's)

2 hours ago, outandabout said:

I felt under pressure to "get someone into the class"  in order to feel worthy.  I was once told not to show up at twig unless I had a new person with me.  (by the Lallyo's)

Out, you too??!!  I don't know the Lallyo's; where did they live??  When I was a WOW back in 1978, we were told by our AC, not to show up at a meeting, unless we had a new person.  I brought a new person, but I realized later, that he had major Mental Health Issues.  I always felt we were under a lot of pressure to run classes; we were judged by how many people we signed-up for PFAL classes.  No wonder why so many of us left after 1985!!