GreaseSpot Cafe

It was a "donation".

waysider

You couldn't pay tuition for the PFAL class, you had to make a "donation". I find myself wondering if VP was already anticipating that someone might sue The Way when it failed to deliver on "the green card" promises. If you make a donation, they can do whatever they want with it (as long as it's not something illegal) and don't have to give anything in return.

I'd say the (compulsory) donation was more of a tax dodge. If it were something that had been sold, it would be taxable. However, if it were just given, as a donation, it wouldn't have to be taxed. Of course, if it were also a registered charity, then the donations may also be offsettable against tax paid by the donor.

Not that receipts as such were given. And not that you could take PFAL without making the required donation.

• Upvote 1

I argued about that with the person who witnessed to me and persuaded me to take the class.

- If I have to pay this money, then it's not a donation, it's payment for the class and/or the materials.

- No it's not, it's just a contribution towards the cost of the books.

- Well what if I don't want the books?

- Can't take the class, then.

- So it's payment, not a donation!

And so on. But he ... I liked him. He was apprentice Corps doing his WoW year and the family was struggling to get a class together, under some pressure from interim Corps, and I wanted him to succeed ...

Little did I know what I was letting myself in for. You could say I walked right into their double-speak with my eyes wide open.

Classes at my church like Alpha, Beginings, Purpose Driven Life, etc are free including the meal, DVD's, books because the congregation bought the materials from the church budget for Christian Education. Now if individuals want to freely donate cash to offset the expenses, then fine. But no mandatory fees. But TWI was money hungry.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

According to their nonprofit status, "donors" to PFAL should only have been able to deduct the portion of the donation that was beyond the cost of materials. When I took PFAL, the cost was $65, roughly the retail price of the books and syllabus, so it should not have been advertised as a donation or tax deductible. Ooops.