GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI: The Neverland of Peter Pan

skyrider

LOL, I guess I did word that a bit oddly. I guess technically everyone's posting privileges were gone, but none of those with moderated restrictions had anything to do with the 2/3 day layoff of the forums and I had nothing to do with getting it back up.

I was mostly saying that I could not lift those restrictions while the forum was down so I did when it came back online. Maybe that clarifies it, maybe not, but it is more than enough said from me on it. :)

omg, now the Affordable Care website has infected GSC :biglaugh:/> o

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

• 3 years later...
On 11/17/2013 at 0:04 PM, skyrider said:

Will there ever be an end to this nonsense? You know.....devotees of wayworld, twiers and ex-twiers, who fantasize [idolize] the "good-ole days." Those who fondly remember the green bumper stickers, tent city at roa, Takit songs, tee-shirts and junk promo, etc.

A world where you never grow up.

A world where you fly away to an ISOLATED island.

A world where you shun responsibility and reality.

What kind of cult-induced charisma can one possibly be clinging to? Wierwille's claims of "the law of believing," a more-abundant-life, and "word over the world twi-style" has been denounced with a commanding THUD. The magician has left the stage. The lights have come up. The props have collapsed. The smoke and mirrors have cleared. And, the tricks are not nearly as impressive.....now.

The cult of personality seems to linger decades later for those who refuse to address reality. Fine. It's there life and they can live in denial and daydream of Neverland if they so desire. But really? Holding onto incongruous, contradictory beliefs when facts, reality, and truth are staring you in the face is known as cognitive dissonance....a mental disorder.

I contend that TWI, the self-perpetuating cult, began dying in 1978. Why? Time, and reality, HAD MOVED ON WITHOUT WIERWILLE NOTICING. Corps and Advanced Class grads were marrying and starting families. And children brought a whole new set of dynamics that wierwille was not addressing. He thought his charisma would carry the day. But it didn't. The reality of increasing responsibilities, financial concerns, career paths, educational pursuits, etc.....all toward the view of upward mobility was being discussed on the home front. Responsible people are not stupid. They plan for the road ahead.

Many, many quality individuals.....and maybe, that's the optimal word "individuals".....were slipping away to pursue higher education and/or career paths. In my corps, some 325 graduated. But within a couple of years, dozens upon dozens were gone.....and that was back in Wierwille's day, 1981. Of course, all the fanfare was towards those who were running Limbs and running classes......but those slipping out the back door was apparent to those who had a modicum of discernment.

To those slipping away......they didn't believe in twi's "Neverland."

Maybe, its just me. I've been this way my whole life. I grew up on a farm and was driving a tractor at age 10. My Dad expected me to be responsible. There was no excuse for being lackadaisical or daydreaming of hanging at the swimming pool all summer. None of that. There was work to be done. We worked long days. And, sports had the same coordinates: no excuses for not improving, not moving forward.

Cult-land: The New Neverland Fantasy.

Sky, interesting post.  I too grew up on a farm; it was a lot of work.  I can well understand why a lot of Corps left TWI; they were getting married, raising families, going to college, ect. This is normal behavior for people; our society encourages people to do this things.  I think VPW was delusional if  he thought he could prevent people from NOT doing these things.  As I am learning from the GSC, VPW wanted "his people", to give all their time, and money to TWI. And if they failed to do so, VPW would rant, and rave about it.  I think VPW spent too much time in his Cornfield Cult, and not enough time in the real world.

On 11/17/2013 at 11:04 AM, skyrider said:

(SNIP)...I contend that TWI, the self-perpetuating cult, began dying in 1978. Why? Time, and reality, HAD MOVED ON WITHOUT WIERWILLE NOTICING. Corps and Advanced Class grads were marrying and starting families. And children brought a whole new set of dynamics that wierwille was not addressing. He thought his charisma would carry the day. But it didn't. The reality of increasing responsibilities, financial concerns, career paths, educational pursuits, etc.....all toward the view of upward mobility was being discussed on the home front. Responsible people are not stupid. They plan for the road ahead...(SNIP)

You have shared this point many times….and it’s been illustrated in many folks’ stories here on Grease Spot too. But lately I’ve been so fascinated by it. For a long time after I left TWI I think I still had some nebulous notion that wierwille was able to wield such an enormous amount of power over others; but taking into account the onward march of time and reality…and people growing up, it demystifies the demise of TWI – for me anyway…it's like some weird game of adult cult leader versus impressionable youths – however the game-changer for those who wise up is time and reality that eventually levels the playing field.

Skyrider, I love this: “…all toward the view of upward mobility was being discussed on the home front. Responsible people are not stupid. They plan for the road ahead.” Very simple and so true!

I think wierwille had a two prong approach as a cult leader – it was either finesse or force. If his charisma…his disarming charm couldn’t carry the day then he’d be the autocrat and rain down hell, fire and brimstone on your life. I was watching America’s Funniest Videos tonight and saw a clip of a little kid literally afraid of his own shadow. As the setting sun made his shadow longer it really freaked out this little guy while he was walking along. Hilarious! Reminds me of a mindset I had in the later years of my TWI involvement. Timid and fearful of the real world outside…worrying that I was never spiritual enough to handle things right, worrying about how we would make ends meet, worrying that I would disappoint leadership above me, worrying that I would get chewed out by Craig for something I did or didn’t do.

But a funny thing happened…I started making some adult decisions – like resigning from my assignment as an area coordinator and letting Craig know I needed some answers to things regarding the passing of the patriarch and the crapstorm that followed before I would resume any ministry responsibilities. This little guy no longer fears his own shadow -or any shady cult leader for that matter.... Never got any answers from him – and in time I focused more on my own family, what we needed, what i needed to do to get back on track with my career path, and delve into the great mystery of buying a home...and as ministry concerns faded away I was well down the road to reality.

Edited by T-Bone
clarity
  • Upvote 1