GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Honestly I have no idea.  It could be.  I do know that it was the first color film to win the best picture award.  (1939)

I didn't post what I actually meant to say.  What I actually meant to say was this:

What was the first film to be released on DVD before it won the Best Picture Oscar?

Edited by Human without the bean

3 hours ago, Raf said:

DVD? Not sure.

If you mean home video, I can tell you the answer, but I would require a quid pro quo.

Clever,,,,  That won't do!

Well, was I talking about home video after all?   I guess I was.  Scratch that from the records.

What Oscar winning best picture was released on home video before it won it's Academy Award?

That's right Raf.  The Silence of The Lambs

Let's see... was it Silence of the Lambs?

lol.

Yes, Silence of the Lambs had the distinction of being released so early in the year that it was available on home video before it was nominated and, naturally, before it won.

Now, AFTER Silence of the Lambs, there were at least three more Best Picture winners that were released ON DVD before their respective Oscar nights. Name any.

Edited by Raf

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 10:50 PM, Human without the bean said:

Whose the actress that appeared in these movies?

The Chronicles of Narnia:  The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Thumbsucker

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Doctor Strange

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Hail Caesar

The Chronicles of Narnia:  The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Constantine

Burn After Reading

This was a strange movie.  It was neither the first, nor the last, appearance of the title character.  (To date, would you believe he's appeared in 4 movies?)     This movie managed to put together hippies, a reservation, and a martial artist.  The title character used a signature kick-the Outside Crescent Kick- that was often nicknamed after the character among martial artists once this movie got around.  

Studios kept disassociating themselves from this movie.  American International Pictures started with it, then pulled out. Fox finished the film but refused to distribute it. Warner Brothers distributed it, but refused to promote it and book it into theaters. The principal actor had to do that-after which, the film was actually a success if not a smash.

• 2 weeks later...

"This was a strange movie.  It was neither the first, nor the last, appearance of the title character.  (To date, would you believe he's appeared in 4 movies?)     This movie managed to put together hippies, a reservation, and a martial artist.  The title character used a signature kick-the Outside Crescent Kick- that was often nicknamed after the character among martial artists once this movie got around.  

Studios kept disassociating themselves from this movie.  American International Pictures started with it, then pulled out. Fox finished the film but refused to distribute it. Warner Brothers distributed it, but refused to promote it and book it into theaters. The principal actor had to do that-after which, the film was actually a success if not a smash.

"So he ASKED you to drive your car into the lake. And you OBEYED him?" 

When watching this movie, viewers often saw the title character's removal of his boots as a sign that a fight scene was about to happen.

Depending on who you ask, this is a martial arts movie, or an  anti-authority movie. Wikipedia's categories include "Hippie films", "Hapkido films", "Vigilante films," "Films about Native Americans."  And with all that, all you MIGHT remember is the theme song-which describes the title character but does not name him (except in the sub-title.)

Edited by WordWolf
Factual correction.

7 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Walking Tall"?

George

No. 

Right era, had sequels, but otherwise no, and there is no titular character-nobody's named "Walking Tall" that I can find. (Although it SHOULD be in the category "Vigilante Film", nobody's put it there.)

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I thought the title included the Legend of Billy Jack, though that might have been a sequel.

George

I'm unclear what you're trying to say here. Please rephrase yourself so I can reply accurately.  (I was getting ready to reply when I realized what you posted could mean a few different things.)

33 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It was a case of mistaken identity.  For some reason, I thought that the first Billy Jack movie was "Walking Tall."

I believe that the correct answer is "The Born Losers."

George

Billy Jack first appeared in "the Born Losers." The movie title I was looking for was "Billy Jack."  Its song was "One TIn Soldier (the Legend of Billy Jack"), "The Born Losers" basically was made to fund "Billy Jack." And when I was taking TKD lessons, the instructor ALWAYS called that kick "the Billy Jack." (It looks cool but I'm not a fan of throwing it because I never felt it was an EFFICIENT kick except in surprising the receiver.)

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'm up... :rolleyes:

The title of the film was originally "El Pistolero" but was changed before  release.

The day they shot the two stars' love scene, the entire crew showed up to see it. During the actual filming, however, only the actors , the director, and the script supervisor were in the room.

For most of the killings they used a gun that essentially fired fake blood at the characters instead of squibs. This unfortunately created too realistic of an effect resulting in them having to edit out much of the deaths for the censors.

George