GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

IIRC, the third movie's soundtrack includes a song by that name.    I get practice with alternate movie titles when I channel-surf.  On 2 different channels, one of them was showing "Airplane 2-the Sequel" while another was showing "Where is the Pilot 2".  Their plots were oddly similar, as were their casts.  And release years.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, next film...

Although this film was neither the first film nor the last film to adapt the book it came from, it is probably the best-remembered of the 3. One famous role in it was performed by Ron Moody- the same role was performed by Sir Alec Guinness and Ben Kingsley in the other live film adaptations.  This version was the adaptation of a stage production, unlike the others.  It did, however, add scenes from the book that were not in the stage production- the courtroom scene, an attempted break-in of a house, and a rooftop chase scene.

Fans of the book might wonder where the titular character's half-brother is. His involvement makes the story a lot darker, and he's directly responsible for a number of deaths in the final scenes of the book, including of a character who gets to walk away uninjured in the film.

BTW, the scene with the heavy snow was filmed in July. All the snow was fake.

Although this film was neither the first film nor the last film to adapt the book it came from, it is probably the best-remembered of the 3. One famous role in it was performed by Ron Moody- the same role was performed by Sir Alec Guinness and Ben Kingsley in the other live film adaptations.  This version was the adaptation of a stage production, unlike the others.  It did, however, add scenes from the book that were not in the stage production- the courtroom scene, an attempted break-in of a house, and a rooftop chase scene.

Fans of the book might wonder where the titular character's half-brother is. His involvement makes the story a lot darker, and he's directly responsible for a number of deaths in the final scenes of the book, including of a character who gets to walk away uninjured in the film.

One improvised exchange made it into the movie. "Do you love me?" "Of course I do-I live with you, don't I?" Oliver Reed heard an exchange in the street in a bad neighborhood. A cleaned-up version of the actual exchange was what was added by the actors.

Oliver Reed scared the kids he worked with-because he stayed in character on the set and gave them the creeps.

The owl on set kept distracting the actors and workers-it kept spinning its head when the director yelled "Action!"

This film won the Best Picture Oscar.

After the fact I'll post "Silence of the Lambs"?  Actually I'm not sure?  Filmed in the July?  Silence was filmed in the winter.  Colder than Hannibal's respiration when he ate "a Censes taker's liver and topped it off with some fava beans and a nice Chianti"!

21 hours ago, WordWolf said:

One improvised exchange made it into the movie. "Do you love me?" "Of course I do-I live with you, don't I?" Oliver Reed heard an exchange in the street in a bad neighborhood. A cleaned-up version of the actual exchange was what was added by the actors.

Oliver Reed scared the kids he worked with-because he stayed in character on the set and gave them the creeps.

The owl on set kept distracting the actors and workers-it kept spinning its head when the director yelled "Action!"

This film won the Best Picture Oscar.

For the curious, Ron Moody (AG/BK) played Fagin, both on stage and in the movie.   In the book, Fagin ends up on the gallows as a result of the half-brother's involvement (and his complicity in trying to kill Oliver.)   The heavy snow scene was the "Boy For Sale" scene, when Mr Bumble was slogging through snow, trying to sell Oliver.   Oliver Reed played Bill Sykes, Fagin's former street urchin accomplice, now an adult burglar and eventually murderer. And Fagin owned an owl.

This futuristic movie, released in 1984, refers to the Beijing Olympics in 2008.  Beijing was, of course, the site of the 2008 Summer Games, but this wasn't decided until 2001.  (Better than "Back to the Future"s prediction of a Cubs World Championship in 2015!)

Not all of the predictions were as accurate, though, as references to PanAm, the Soviet Union, and even the Astrodome (as a site for baseball) were long gone by the time depicted in the movie.

George

No.

This futuristic movie, released in 1984, refers to the Beijing Olympics in 2008.  Beijing was, of course, the site of the 2008 Summer Games, but this wasn't decided until 2001.  (Better than "Back to the Future"s prediction of a Cubs World Championship in 2015!)

Not all of the predictions were as accurate, though, as references to PanAm, the Soviet Union, and even the Astrodome (as a site for baseball) were long gone by the time depicted in the movie.

The Russian spaceship "Aleksei Leonov" was named after the first man to perform extra-vehicular activity in space.  The ship became the model for Omega-class destroyers in the TV show Babylon 5.

At the beginning of the film - where the sun was rising behind the radio telescope array - the sequence was actually filmed at sunset (facing west) and run in reverse.

George

No, again.  Let's make it easier.

This sequel to a very famous 1968 film, released in 1984, refers to the Beijing Olympics in 2008.  Beijing was, of course, the site of the 2008 Summer Games, but this wasn't decided until 2001.  (Better than "Back to the Future"s prediction of a Cubs World Championship in 2015!)

The Russian spaceship "Aleksei Leonov" was named after the first man to perform extra-vehicular activity in space.  The ship became the model for Omega-class destroyers in the TV show Babylon 5.

At the beginning of the film - where the sun was rising behind the radio telescope array - the sequence was actually filmed at sunset (facing west) and run in reverse.

The director had all models and sets from the original film destroyed to prevent their reuse, thus the model of the spaceship Discovery had to be constructed from pictures.

Keir Dullea and Douglas Rain are the only actors to reprise their roles from the original film.

Helen Mirren's Character is Tanya Kirbuk, her last name is a backwards representation of "Kubrick".

George

• 2 weeks later...

-The production company for this US film was a HONG KONG company- Golden Harvest.  That explains some of the cast but causes another wrinkle in the casting at the same time.

-One role was written specifically with DON RICKLES in mind, but he refused the role, and we got a better movie for it once it was recast (with the same name.)

-George Furth and John Fiedler both appear in this movie. (I used to confuse the 2 actors because of this.)

-Peter Fonda appears in it as well.  And Valerie Perrine. And Bianca Jagger.

-Steve McQueen was cast, but died before they prepared to begin filming, so that part was re-cast and the mood of the movie was changed radically.

-The production company for this US film was a HONG KONG company- Golden Harvest.  That explains some of the cast but causes another wrinkle in the casting at the same time.

-One role was written specifically with DON RICKLES in mind, but he refused the role, and we got a better movie for it once it was recast (with the same name.)

-George Furth and John Fiedler both appear in this movie. (I used to confuse the 2 actors because of this.)

-Steve McQueen was cast, but died before they prepared to begin filming, so that part was re-cast and the mood of the movie was changed radically.

-In one scene, a Cantonese-speaking character is interviewed by a Japanese television presenter.  Neither the presenter nor the audience understand what he's saying, but the other Cantonese-speaker in the movie and he chat several times, in Cantonese.

-One actor spoke about having done the movie, later. "I did that film for all the wrong reasons. I never liked it. I did it to help out a friend of mine, Hal Needham. And I also felt it was immoral to turn down that kind of money. I suppose I sold out so I couldn't really object to what people wrote about me."

-This was the first movie the late Rick Aviles appeared in (you may remember him as Willie Lopez in "Ghost.")

-Nobody remembers the name of the character Pamela Glover-she ends up with a nickname early on, and that "becomes" her name for the rest of the movie.

-Continuity error: the "Hawaiian Tropic" car changes from a Laguna to a Monte Carlo after a quick paint job.

-Continuity error: Jamie Black and Fenderbaum know Mc Clure and Prinzim early on.  However, in the middle of the movie, Mc Clure and Prinzim completely fail to recognize them.

-This 80s film includes 2 actors who were well-known in Hong Kong at the time, both with experience in comedies (and action-comedies, each of a sort.)

-In one scene, a Cantonese-speaking character is interviewed by a Japanese television presenter.  Neither the presenter nor the audience understand what he's saying, but the other Cantonese-speaker in the movie and he chat several times, in Cantonese. They use a Subaru-incorrectly identified as a Mitsubishi.

-One actor spoke about having done the movie, later. "I did that film for all the wrong reasons. I never liked it. I did it to help out a friend of mine, Hal Needham. And I also felt it was immoral to turn down that kind of money. I suppose I sold out so I couldn't really object to what people wrote about me."

-This was the first movie the late Rick Aviles appeared in (you may remember him as Willie Lopez in "Ghost.")

-Nobody remembers the name of the character Pamela Glover-she ends up with a nickname early on, and that "becomes" her name for the rest of the movie.

-Continuity error: the "Hawaiian Tropic" car changes from a Laguna to a Monte Carlo after a quick paint job.

-Continuity error: Jamie Black and Fenderbaum know JJ Mc Clure and Victor Prinzim early on.  However, in the middle of the movie, Mc Clure and Prinzim completely fail to recognize them.

-Other vehicles appearing include a Dodge Tradesman, an Aston Martin, a Lamborghini Countach, a Ferrari 308 GTS, a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow,

-Bianca Jagger plays the sister of Abdul ben Falafel. (In the sequel, their father is played by Ricardo Montalban.)

On 24/5/2017 at 1:46 AM, WordWolf said:

-This 80s film includes 2 actors who were well-known in Hong Kong at the time, both with experience in comedies (and action-comedies, each of a sort.)

-In one scene, a Cantonese-speaking character is interviewed by a Japanese television presenter.  Neither the presenter nor the audience understand what he's saying, but the other Cantonese-speaker in the movie and he chat several times, in Cantonese. They use a Subaru-incorrectly identified as a Mitsubishi.

-Continuity error: Jamie Black and Fenderbaum know JJ Mc Clure and Victor Prinzim early on.  However, in the middle of the movie, Mc Clure and Prinzim completely fail to recognize them.

-Other vehicles appearing include a Dodge Tradesman, an Aston Martin, a Lamborghini Countach, a Ferrari 308 GTS, a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow,

-Bianca Jagger plays the sister of Abdul ben Falafel. (In the sequel, their father is played by Ricardo Montalban.)

One of those Hong Kong stars was Jackie Chan, in his US appearance. He had comedy martial arts films under his belt. The discrepancy of the "Japanese" team being Chinese actors ticked off Jackie Chan when he found out. But it explains why the host of the talk show looks befuddled- he speaks Japanese, not Cantonese.  I don't know why the labelled Subaru is confused for a Mitsubishi in the credits.

Fenderbaum was written for Don Rickles. He refused, and Sammy Davis Jr got the role-and did a better job.  BTW, Sinatra was actually disappointed they never considered him for a part after Dean and Sammy got roles-but they fixed that in the sequel when he played "Frank."

John Fiedler was the hotel desk clerk-seen when someone was knocked out; he asks the "paramedics" to help. George Furth plays Arthur J Foyt, who tries to stop the race.

Peter Fonda led the biker gang in the big fight. Valerie Perrine was the lady highway patroller.  Bianca Jagger played the Sheik's sister.

Steve Mc Queen was considered-so this obviously involved fast cars.  Recasting Burt Reynolds meant the directional change to a comedy. Burt Reynolds admitted his motives were financial, and thought he didn't do the movie for a good reason. (Hey, Christopher Lee did some bad movies, also, for the money.)

Rick Aviles played Mad Dog. He crashed his truck into the lobby, his truck jumped the freight train empty bed, and in the big fight, showed how one survives in a NYC subway.

Pamela Glover was named "Beauty" by JJ after he's unable to guess her name-and that becomes how everyone refers to her.

The ambulance drivers know the Ferrari drivers, but fail to identify the priests in the car despite that. (It causes a problem, after all....)

The Dodge Tradesman was the ambulance, "Roger Moore" drove the Aston Martin, the chicks drove the Lambo, the "priests" drove the Ferrari, and the Sheik drove the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Steve Mc Queen was considered-so this obviously involved fast cars.  Recasting Burt Reynolds meant the directional change to a comedy. Burt Reynolds admitted his motives were financial, and thought he didn't do the movie for a good reason. (Hey, Christopher Lee did some bad movies, also, for the money.)

Wait -- Cannonball Run was originally NOT a comedy, but they wanted Don Rickles in it?  :jump:

George

• 2 weeks later...

This film starred two comic actors who had worked together frequently.  One's usual on-screen persona was over-the-top looney, while the other's was more sedate; and they were originally cast in the roles befitting those personae.  Before the filming started, however, the stars decided to switch roles, so the usually manic actor played the quiet homebody.

According to one of the stars, most of the production crew was on cocaine, an addiction the other star had been recently freed from.  He fell back into using and died of an overdose the following year.

Comedy stars Gene Wilder and Steve Martin were considered for the two lead male roles by producers Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown but in the end the parts were recast.

George

• 4 weeks later...

Taglines for this movie described it as "A Comic-Nightmare", nightmare being an appropriate word to describe this film's shoot. This was a troubled production because the two lead actors argued with the director, the director argued with the producers and everybody tried to rewrite the screenplay. Though the script is credited to Larry Gelbart, much of it was re-written, and Gelbart publicly aired his disapproval. At one point, one of the stars, who would soon die from a drug overdose within four months of the film debuting, accused writer Larry Gelbart of drinking too much. The star's drug use also caused problems for the production of the film.

The 8th June 1981 edition of show-business trade paper 'Daily Variety' reported that salaries of the movie's two lead stars on this picture would be US $1.35 million and US $1 million respectively, with both actors receiving points (percentages) from the picture's profits.

This film starred two comic actors who had worked together frequently.  One's usual on-screen persona was over-the-top looney, while the other's was more sedate; and they were originally cast in the roles befitting those personae.  Before the filming started, however, the stars decided to switch roles, so the usually manic actor played the quiet homebody.

According to one of the stars, most of the production crew was on cocaine, an addiction the other star had been recently freed from.  He fell back into using and died of an overdose the following year.

Comedy stars Gene Wilder and Steve Martin were considered for the two lead male roles by producers Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown but in the end the parts were recast.

George