GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

*thinks*  *thinks some more*   You're referring to John Belushi dying.  I haven't seen all of his movies, but this wasn't "Blues Brothers" nor "Animal House", I think.  Larry Gelbart is a writer I've heard of.  Was this movie "1941"? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The original source material for this movie involves an American Air Force pilot being rescued from a crash by an island girl, during WWII.  Apparently, WWII was too morally unambiguous for today's Hollywood (can't have America be the good guys, after all), so the movie is set in WWI, and the pilot, though an American, is working as a spy for the British.

George

• 1 month later...

The original source material for this movie involves an American Air Force pilot being rescued from a crash by an island girl, during WWII.  Apparently, WWII was too morally unambiguous for today's Hollywood (can't have America be the good guys, after all), so the movie is set in WWI, and the pilot, though an American, is working as a spy for the British.

Although the movie draws heavily on Greek mythology, the heroine is named after a Roman goddess.

George

WW, really?

OK, let's end this

Featuring one of only five DC Comics heroes to make it from the 40's to today, the original source material for this very recent movie involved an American Air Force pilot being rescued from a crash by an island girl, during WWII.  Apparently, WWII was too morally unambiguous for today's Hollywood (can't have America be the good guys, after all), so the movie is set in WWI, and the pilot, though an American, is working as a spy for the British.

Although the movie draws heavily on Greek mythology, the heroine is named after a Roman goddess.

George

PS:  Extra credit if you can name the other four DC heroes who made it from the 40's (with changes, here and there). Two are "gimmes"; the other two, not so much, though I'm sure you're familiar with the characters.

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

WW, really?

OK, let's end this

Featuring one of only five DC Comics heroes to make it from the 40's to today, the original source material for this very recent movie involved an American Air Force pilot being rescued from a crash by an island girl, during WWII.  Apparently, WWII was too morally unambiguous for today's Hollywood (can't have America be the good guys, after all), so the movie is set in WWI, and the pilot, though an American, is working as a spy for the British.

George

PS:  Extra credit if you can name the other four DC heroes who made it from the 40's (with changes, here and there). Two are "gimmes"; the other two, not so much, though I'm sure you're familiar with the characters.

Ok, I didn't see that one coming.    Colonel Steve Trevor was rescued by WONDER WOMAN, named "Diana" (not Artemis, although that was a different amazon.)

Who else made it from the 40s? Let's see. 40s was Golden Age(Jay Garrick, Alan Scott), 50s was Silver Age (Barry Allen, Hal Jordan.)  Who was around that long and wasn't completely redone in the 50s (like the 2 Flashes and 2 Green Lanterns I mentioned)?  5 of them?  Let's see.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.  Green Arrow.

Who's the 5th?   Aquaman?  Robin? 

I'll give you all six.  I hadn't thought of Robin.  The "gimme's" were, of course, Superman and Batman.  Neither Green arrow nor Aquaman had his own book until the 60's (for A-man) and the 80's (for GA), but both were back-up features in other books through the early decades.

You're up!

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, I'LL go again.

Ron Shelton was a former minor league baseball player and used his experience as the basis for the story.

Kurt Russell, who helped Ron Shelton develop the script, also played minor league baseball in the early-1970s.  He was originally considered for the lead role.

In their confrontation outside the bar, one player tells the other, "I hear you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a f---ing boat." Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda had said this in 1984, in reference to weak-hitting San Diego Padres infielder Kurt Bevacqua.

George

9 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It sounds like one of those huge-cast-comedies like "It's a Mad......World" or "Cannonball Run," but it's neither of those.  Am I on the right track?

George

The "comedy" part is corrrect.  The many cameos is correct (no duh.)   Otherwise, I think you're really off-track.

Dom de Luise

James Coburrn

Paul Williams

Madeline Kahn

Telly Savalas

Carol Kane

Milton Berle

Elliott Gould

Bob Hope

Richard Pryor

Steve Martin

Mel Brooks

Cloris Leachman

Orson Welles

Charles Durning

Edgar Bergen

Caroll Spinney

Jerry Nelson

Richard Hunt

Dave Goelz

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Gosh, it's not IAMMMW.  It's not Airport or Young Frankenstein so what movie had this cast?

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid?

No.  Even with the pasted in old movies, there weren't that many comics in it.

I'm thinking, something like "That's Entertainment," but I don't think it's any of those.

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

No.  Even with the pasted in old movies, there weren't that many comics in it.

I'm thinking, something like "That's Entertainment," but I don't think it's any of those.

George

Nobody there was in archived footage or anything. Everybody showed up to work for filming. And that last set of actors...most of them should tell you something. Except for Durning, they're all known for something very specific-except for Caroll Spinney, and he's known for one character he's played/dressed up as for freaking forever.

35 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Nobody there was in archived footage or anything. Everybody showed up to work for filming. And that last set of actors...most of them should tell you something. Except for Durning, they're all known for something very specific-except for Caroll Spinney, and he's known for one character he's played/dressed up as for freaking forever.

Only, I don't recognize any of the actors below Edgar Bergen.  Especially Caroll Spinney.

If this were "TV Mash-Up," I'd guess Hollywood Squares.  But I'm still coming up empty on this movie.

George