GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

On 5/9/2018 at 4:35 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Constantine" is correct.  "1998" was a typo.  I meant "1988," which is when "Hellblazer" appeared, though, as you point out, Constantine first appeared in Swamp Thing in 1984.

"Hellblazer" was thought to be too similar to "Hellboy," so "Contantine" was picked as the title.

I REALLY prefer Matt Ryan's take to Keanu Reeves's.

You're up!

George

For one thing, if you look at a photo of Matt Ryan in the role, you say "John Constantine?" but if you look at KR in the movie role, you figure it's another Matrix project or something.

Ok, next movie.

Some actors: Peter Diamond         James Cosmo       Jon Polito         Sheila Gish          Alan North    Clancy Brown       Roxanne Hart

Some characters:  Brenda Wyatt       Lt. Frank Moran        Det. Walter Bedsoe       Iman Fasil          "Russell Edwin Nash"

Some actors: Peter Diamond         James Cosmo       Jon Polito         Sheila Gish          Alan North    Clancy Brown       Roxanne Hart

Some characters:  Brenda Wyatt       Lt. Frank Moran        Det. Walter Bedsoe       Iman Fasil          "Russell Edwin Nash"        "Victor Krueger"

Some of the categories of this film, according to Wikipedia:  Films set in NYC,  films films set in Spain,   films set in the 1780s.  films set in the 1940s,   films adapted into novels.

The title character was played by a man who didn't really speak English when he was cast in the role, but he learned English to play the role.  The actor was actually Swiss, but the character certainly was not.

This was a movie which featured Peter Diamond and Bob Anderson's work behind the scenes- with Peter Diamond acting at one point.  (It wasn't the first time.)

Some characters:  Brenda Wyatt       Lt. Frank Moran        Det. Walter Bedsoe       Iman Fasil          "Russell Edwin Nash"        "Victor Krueger"

Some of the categories of this film, according to Wikipedia:  Films set in NYC,  films films set in Spain,   films set in the 1780s.  films set in the 1940s,   films adapted into novels.

The title character was played by a man who didn't really speak English when he was cast in the role, but he learned English to play the role.  The actor was actually Swiss, but the character certainly was not. (He dubbed himself in the French audio translation of the movie.)

This was a movie which featured Peter Diamond and Bob Anderson's work behind the scenes- with Peter Diamond acting at one point.  (It wasn't the first time any of that was true.)

Some of us fans would like to thank the special effects crew, and especially thank their car batteries, without whom a very specific visual would not have been accomplished.

Repeat after me- the next 2 movies never happened. The TV show was the sequel, and any movies after that.

" I am Juan Sánchez Villalobos Ramírez, Chief metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain. And I'm at your service. "

"Her father, Masamune, a genius, made this for me "

"When only a few of us are left, we will feel an irresistible pull towards a far away land... to fight for the prize. "

21 hours ago, WordWolf said:

The title character was played by a man who didn't really speak English when he was cast in the role, but he learned English to play the role.  The actor was actually Swiss, but the character certainly was not. (He dubbed himself in the French audio translation of the movie.)

This was a movie which featured Peter Diamond and Bob Anderson's work behind the scenes- with Peter Diamond acting at one point.  (It wasn't the first time any of that was true.)

Some of us fans would like to thank the special effects crew, and especially thank their car batteries, without whom a very specific visual would not have been accomplished.

Repeat after me- the next 2 movies never happened. The TV show was the sequel, and any movies after that.

" I am Juan Sánchez Villalobos Ramírez, Chief metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain. And I'm at your service. "

"Her father, Masamune, a genius, made this for me "

"When only a few of us are left, we will feel an irresistible pull towards a far away land... to fight for the prize. "

Russell and Victor were the modern aliases of Connor MacLeod and Kurgan.  With flashbacks, there were scenes in different times and places, so different filming locations were called for.  Peter Diamond played Iman Fasil here.  Bob Anderson, former Olympic gold medalist fencer, spent decades teaching Hollywood to fence.  He worked alongside Peter Diamond in Star Wars (Episode 4-ANH). Peter was a stuntman here and there, and was on camera there as a Sandperson/Tusken Raider. He's the one that attacks Luke and shakes his Gadaffi stick at him.

Christophe Lambert had a crash course in English, specifically with no clear accent. So, Christopher Lambert stepped into the role as a man whose accent came from different places and times, which was a clever idea.   Special effects attached car batteries to the swords- which is why they sparked when the swords clashed.  The next 2 movies blew, but the TV show didn't- and that had sequel movies, some of which worked.  Sean Connery played "Ramirez"- which wasn't the guy's original name, either.  He was the one who was married to Masamune's daughter.  Masamune is a legendary swordmaker, reputed to be the greatest swordmaker of all time.

That last quote was of the end of The Gathering- when the last Immortals will fight it out for The Prize. Each Immortal gets the Quickening of every immortal he slays- basically his soul and his power- including that of all the Immortals that HE has slain.  The final handful will each have hundreds of Quickenings each- and each of them will lose all of that to whoever beats them, until there's ONE Immortal with ALL the Quickenings and ALL the power. "IN THE END, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE."

Some stars of the movie:  Michael Madsen, Brad Pitt, Harvey Keitel, Christopher McDonald

A "buddy" flick.

Ridley Scott was reportedly so amazed with Hans Zimmer's score, that he created a main title sequence (with Zimmer's music over it), rather than giving the main credits at the end, as it was primarily planned.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong.

Some stars of the movie:  Michael Madsen, Brad Pitt, Harvey Keitel, Christopher McDonald

A "buddy" flick.

Ridley Scott was reportedly so amazed with Hans Zimmer's score, that he created a main title sequence (with Zimmer's music over it), rather than giving the main credits at the end, as it was primarily planned.

Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Scott Baio, Christopher Atkins, Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, and Alec Baldwin were all considered for the role Brad Pitt played.

Michelle Pfeiffer and Jodie Foster were originally chosen for the leads and accepted the roles, but preproduction took too long, and had to drop out due to other commitments.

George

4 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I was looking at the clue again when it slapped me like a cold fish across my face.  Michael was her x-something and Harvey Keitel was the nice cop chasing Thelma and Louise. 

You are correct!

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I totally went in the wrong direction on the "buddy film" clue.

Which was as I had hoped.  :anim-smile:

George

• 1 month later...

Ok, a month with no answer means it's up for grabs.  (I hope we don't start getting those "I'll answer and then refuse to take my turn" posts like we got a few years back.)

This movie was restored (with all scenes)  in 1999.  Plans to remake it completely in 2009 fell through, and the chosen director said in 2012 that it was probably better it not be remade.   In 2012 and 2018, there were limited theatrical re-releases of this movie.  (The 2018 one was chosen for its timing.) 

In 2016, Hot Wheels made a collectible of probably the most recognizable prop of the movie.

Also in 2016, Lego released a set of the movie.

This was another movie whose soundtrack was very successful in addition to the movie's success.

"Do you think they heard us?"  "I hope not." "Ssssh."  "What did you say?"  "SSSHHH!"  "Good plan."

• 2 weeks later...

This movie was restored (with all scenes)  in 1999.  Plans to remake it completely in 2009 fell through, and the chosen director said in 2012 that it was probably better it not be remade.   In 2012 and 2018, there were limited theatrical re-releases of this movie.  (The 2018 one was chosen for its timing.) 

In 2016, Hot Wheels made a collectible of probably the most recognizable prop of the movie.

Also in 2016, Lego released a set of the movie.

This was another movie whose soundtrack was very successful in addition to the movie's success.

"Do you think they heard us?"  "I hope not." "Ssssh."  "What did you say?"  "SSSHHH!"  "Good plan."

English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, Hebrew, Greek, Swedish, Russian, Japanese, English, Greek, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Spanish, Farsi, Swahili, Sanskrit, French, Hebrew, Swedish, Chinese, German, Japanese, English- that's the order at the end of the movie.

The guy who said he knew a thing or two about motors was correct. He'd worked as an apprentice electrician, and had plans to work with a mechanic- but his successful career took off and that was that.

The Mrs and I just re-watched this. We began speculating that the PhD was actually related to some of the others.  She speculated he stayed where they had lived and the others moved on, and I speculated that he may have fled the others and gotten lost and ended up where he did.  We also think this movie features one of the finest middle-management examples in cinematic history.

Fred Astaire and Joan Crawford were the originals for the couple that ballroom-danced. They did that in "Dancing Lady"(1933).

Ok, just from the clues...

It's a 1968 movie, making 2018 the 50th anniversary.

Hot Wheels could make a collectible out of an easily recognized... prop. Note, he did not say CAR.

So it's either a space ship or a boat of come kind.

And the dialogue is silly. Parody-like. This is a comedy with broad humor.

Successful soundtrack, but FFS please don't remake it.

I'm going to go with....

Yellow Submarine.

4 hours ago, Raf said:

Ok, just from the clues...

It's a 1968 movie, making 2018 the 50th anniversary.

Hot Wheels could make a collectible out of an easily recognized... prop. Note, he did not say CAR.

So it's either a space ship or a boat of come kind.

And the dialogue is silly. Parody-like. This is a comedy with broad humor.

Successful soundtrack, but FFS please don't remake it.

I'm going to go with....

Yellow Submarine.

CORRECT!

Here's how the clues went.

"This movie was restored (with all scenes)  in 1999.  Plans to remake it completely in 2009 fell through, and the chosen director said in 2012 that it was probably better it not be remade.   In 2012 and 2018, there were limited theatrical re-releases of this movie.  (The 2018 one was chosen for its timing.)  "

The 2018 date was the 50th Anniversary.   1999 was the first time US audiences saw the scene where the Beatles met Sgt Pepper's Band, and the scene with "Hey Bulldog."

"In 2016, Hot Wheels made a collectible of probably the most recognizable prop of the movie."

Yes, "prop" not "car." They released the yellow submarine.

"This was another movie whose soundtrack was very successful in addition to the movie's success."

The soundtrack was all Beatles songs. 

""Do you think they heard us?"  "I hope not." "Ssssh."  "What did you say?"  "SSSHHH!"  "Good plan."

A sample of the humorous dialogue, from when the Beatles were hiding in Pepperland.

"English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, Hebrew, Greek, Swedish, Russian, Japanese, English, Greek, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Spanish, Farsi, Swahili, Sanskrit, French, Hebrew, Swedish, Chinese, German, Japanese, English- that's the order at the end of the movie."

The final song was the reprise of "All Together Now" had the screen show the phrase in those languages, in quick succession.

"The guy who said he knew a thing or two about motors was correct. He'd worked as an apprentice electrician, and had plans to work with a mechanic- but his successful career took off and that was that."

George Harrison. His brother was a mechanic. He was planning on joining his brother's business as his Plan B.

"The Mrs and I just re-watched this. We began speculating that the PhD was actually related to some of the others.  She speculated he stayed where they had lived and the others moved on, and I speculated that he may have fled the others and gotten lost and ended up where he did. "

Jeremy Hilary Boob PhD was the Nowhere Man. (Said so on his cards.)  He looked a LOT like the meanies. If the meanies had leveled their homeland, it would have ended up barren.  If Jeremy had fled the meanies as they became mean, he might have ended up lost and "nowhere."    

BTW, Mrs Wolf asked me to ask you guys what you think of our idea that they're related- Jeremy and the meanies.

"We also think this movie features one of the finest middle-management examples in cinematic history."

Max.  He immediately processes that he could only say "No" instead of "yes" but nod to indicate the meaning.  When BBM was transformed at the end, he quickly adjusted to addressing him not as "Your Blueness" but "Your Newness" immediately, and instantly changed from "No" to "Yes" at the first reaction from BBM.  We think Max was incredibly competent, and probably ran the meanies himself, with BBM giving overall orders and being the visible head.

"Fred Astaire and Joan Crawford were the originals for the couple that ballroom-danced. They did that in "Dancing Lady"(1933)."

They were rotoscoped for the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" dance number,.

You would never know it from the title.

Or the cast of characters.

Or the wardrobe.

Or the vernacular.

Or the setting.

But if you pay careful attention to the plot, you might recognize Jane Austen's "Emma" as the source material for this extremely popular and trend-setting high school comedy.

He does sound Dazed and Confused, but that is not the answer.

I could offer more hints, but really, you should be able to get this one without a clue.

Edited by Raf