GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Michael Clarke Duncan         Temuera Morrison        Geoffrey Rush      Tim Robbins     Angela Bassett

-The main actor for the movie (arguably the title role)  clashed with the director, and was glad the movie performed poorly.

-The director wanted Bradley Cooper for the main actor, but he wasn't available.

An early version of the script included Pierce Brosnan making a brief appearance as Alan.

The producer of this movie described it as "a 1970s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie."

One of the actors liked to say "cut the check!" whenever something had gone right or a scene had been completed. The phrase caught on during filming, and before long everyone on-set was saying it. However, according to the directors, he overdid it so many times that it started to lose effect after a while.

That same actror's appearance in this film fulfills his dream of playing a Marvel comic book character. He wrote a series of e-mail pleas to Marvel, wanting to play any comic character that would appear on film. Though the studio repeatedly replied to him that they will respond in due time, Mackie's emails caught the attention of producer Kevin Feige, who subsequently offered him a role

George.

Let's see....

A Marvel movie that was a political thriller.  Anthony Mackie (I always get his first name wrong)  appearing as the Falcon.

This is probably  "Captain America- Winter Soldier."

Posted (edited)

cast includes-    Paul Reubens      Chaka Khan     Kathleen Freeman     Henry Gibson

This movie had a great soundtrack- but it was NOT marketed as a musical, it's an action-comedy.

Edited by WordWolf

cast includes-    Paul Reubens      Chaka Khan     Kathleen Freeman     Henry Gibson

This movie had a great soundtrack- but it was NOT marketed as a musical, it's an action-comedy.

This movie included some under-utilized performers who were available for work.  It was very smart of them to accept their offered roles, as their careers, as a whole, were jump-started when this movie hit the theaters. 

Not many films have credits that leave out who played principal cast, but this was one of them.

This movie included some under-utilized performers who were available for work.  It was very smart of them to accept their offered roles, as their careers, as a whole, were jump-started when this movie hit the theaters. 

Not many films have credits that leave out who played principal cast, but this was one of them.  It was done on purpose,  but didn't really change anything, since the audience knew who the 2 cast members were.   Even stranger, another principal role didn't seem to have a name. 

Iconic props from this movie were stolen and missing for many years.  A man was arrested last year (2023) after giving himself up.  He had thought that the items were jewel-encrusted and was dismayed that they were only coated with glass.  He was not about to admit to the crime then, however.  Now he will receive a light sentence due to his advanced age.  An accomplice has recently turned up, as well.

George

21 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Iconic props from this movie were stolen and missing for many years.  A man was arrested last year (2023) after giving himself up.  He had thought that the items were jewel-encrusted and was dismayed that they were only coated with glass.  He was not about to admit to the crime then, however.  Now he will receive a light sentence due to his advanced age.  An accomplice has recently turned up, as well.

George

Did I miss something?  I can't find you identifying the current round.  Isn't it still my turn?

This movie included some under-utilized, under-appreciated performers who were available for work.  It was very smart of them to accept their offered roles, as their careers, as a whole, were jump-started when this movie hit the theaters, introducing them to new potential fans.

Not many films have credits that leave out who played principal cast, but this was one of them.  It was done on purpose,  but didn't really change anything, since the audience knew who the 2 cast members were.   Even stranger, another principal role didn't seem to have a name (although the role's actress is easy to recognize.)   A number of the cast seemed to play themselves, while others definitely did not. 

I hope you get this soon. If not, I'll see you next Wednesday.

This famous movie had some great music- but it was NOT marketed as a musical, it's an action-comedy.

This movie included some under-utilized, under-appreciated performers who were available for work.  It was very smart of them to accept their offered roles, as their careers, as a whole, were jump-started when this movie hit the theaters, introducing them to a new generation of fans.

Not many films have credits that leave out who played principal cast, but this was one of them.  It was done on purpose,  but didn't really change anything, since the audience knew who the 2 cast members were.   Even stranger, another principal role didn't seem to have a name (although the role's actress is easy to recognize.)   A number of the cast seemed to play themselves, while others definitely did not. 

I hope you get this soon. If not, I'll "See You Next Wednesday".

This movie had a sequel, but most people prefer to ignore that, as it wasn't as good as the first movie despite having an obviously larger budget. (The bluegrass scene alone had a lot of special effects.)  The first movie inspired a group- and they were in the sequel playing fans who were now performers.

This famous movie had some great music- but it was NOT marketed as a musical, it's an action-comedy.

This movie included some under-utilized, under-appreciated performers who were available for work.  It was very smart of them to accept their offered roles, as their careers, as a whole, were jump-started when this movie hit the theaters, introducing them to a new generation of fans.

This movie had a sequel, but most people prefer to ignore that, as it wasn't as good as the first movie despite having an obviously larger budget. (The bluegrass scene alone had a lot of special effects.)  The first movie inspired a group- and they were in the sequel playing fans who were now performers. I wonder how John Popper felt about his movie debut being in a flop.

I read a book for RPGs that was set in Chicago.  It included a list of books and movies for inspiration and setting the background.  It included this movie, with a note that there can be no better view of Mayor Daley Plaza.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:56 AM, WordWolf said:

Paul Reubens (PeeWee Herman) was a waiter in Mister Fabulous' restaurant.  Chaka Khan was in the choir.  Kathleen Freeman played "The Penguin."  Henry Gibson ran the Illinois Nazis.

A lot of talented blues performers were not really in demand until this movie aired, gaining them more fans.

The credits include "Jake" and "Elwood", but not Dan or John.    Carrie Fisher's character seems to have had no name, or at least none mentioned.    The names of the band members match the names of the musicians playing them.     Among the people who didn't play themselves was Ray, who was VERY accurate with a pistol.  (And hung up the Blues Brothers flyer upside down in a different scene.)

"See You Next Wednesday" is John Landis' imaginary movie. It seems to be every genre of movie. In the Blues Brothers movie, it's advertised on the sign that the patrol car hides behind. (That's the patrol car that tries to chase Jake and Elwood and crashes into the Good Old Boys' RV.)

This movie had a sequel, but most people prefer to ignore that, as it wasn't as good as the first movie despite having an obviously larger budget. (The bluegrass scene alone had a lot of special effects.)  The first movie inspired a group- and they were in the sequel playing fans who were now performers. I wonder how John Popper felt about his movie debut being in a flop.

"Blues Brothers 2000" just seemed unnecessary to me. It had a larger budget and lots of special effects, like Cab's son floating and transforming, and the "Ghost Riders in the Sky" scene with the storm and the ghost riders at the country music festival where the "bluegrass brothers" played.   The first movie inspired John Popper and his brother, who eventually formed the band "Blues Traveler", (mixing the names of the Blues Brothers and Gozer the Traveler.)  Popper, in essence, played himself, meeting Elwood and offering to play for him (while Elwood took off after accepting.)

I read a book for RPGs that was set in Chicago.  It included a list of books and movies for inspiration and setting the background.  It included this movie, with a note that there can be no better view of Mayor Daley Plaza.

Anyone watching the end of the movie got a fantastic view of the plaza.