GreaseSpot Cafe

Through and Throughly Perfected

Broken Arrow

I realize this particular topic has been discussed here before at least the doctrine of it. I have another angle I would like to discuss.

II Timothy 3:17 says, "That the man of god may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works". Wierwille makes this big deal about the word "throughly" and goes off on the diatribe about the Word means what it says, says what it means, yadda yadda yadda and that the word is "throughly" and not thoroughly". He said "throughly" implies an inside job, and you know the rest.

I checked Greasespot a couple of years ago and saw where the word "throughly" is an archaic form of "thoroughly" and is properly translated "thoroughly". I read this and thought, "figures".

The other night I decided look up "throughly" to see for myself what was said and surely enough Webster's Dictionary says "throughly" is an archaic form of the word "thoroughly". I didn't at first really care but soon I became angry at myself.

I was involved in TWI from 1974 to 1989 that would be from ages 17 to 34. During that time I graduated from high school, college, and then the Way Corps. I even wrote a "research paper" (I use the word "research" lightly).I learned how to use a dictionary when I was 9. So I asked myself why did I not open a dictionary and look up this word anytime during the 15 years I was in TWI? It took me about 45 seconds to discover Wierwille was wrong. I could have done this anytime. So why didn't I?

As I thought more about it the answer came and it's rather sad but explains a lot. The truth was, I didn't WANT to find out that Wierwille was wrong. I had too much invested in TWI for it to be wrong. Having to admit that what I believed was actually a lie was more than I could bear. After all, I had invested myself in, supported, and decided my life's calling was going to be my involvement with TWI. I needed to believe I was dedicated to a worthy cause. So I looked away, avoided, and ignored things that would interfere with my career in The Way. If TWI was wrong I felt I had nothing. This is idolatry.

Yes, Wierwille and the rest of the leadership deceived, abused, and engaged in practices the Bible calls sin. But Wierwille and the Way International also spoke to something dark in me that I took to heart and supported. I didn't know the practices that were going on. Then again, I really didn't want to know either. I have to take some responsibility for that, I believe.

It all stopped working eventually of course and I ended up leaving. But that's another story.

As a side note, did you ever run into anybody when you were in TWI that said they took PFAL to prove it wrong and when they couldn't they decided it was all true? I did on quite a few occasions. You know, they couldn't have tried all that hard. I debunked Wierwille's teaching in less than 45 seconds with the simple use of a dictionary.

Edited by Broken Arrow

As a side note, did you ever run into anybody when you were in TWI that said they took PFAL to prove it wrong and when they couldn't they decided it was all true? I did on quite a few occasions. You know, they couldn't have tried all that hard. I debunked Wierwille's teaching in less than 45 seconds with the simple use of a dictionary.

I did. A married couple at one time were into Judaism and took the class as a study in things to debunk about the bible. The guy was mostly interested in piffal [not his wife] and was quite knowledgeable about Judaism.

Like myself, he questioned the things that Werewolf and his frauds would come up with. I don't think this guy blinked twice when it came to the things he heard from piffal. He was one of those people that already had his path in life laid out in front of him.

I debunked Werewolf for the fraud he was by learning from the scholar's he was plagiarizing. E W Kenyon, KC Pillia, and Bullinger.

I did. A married couple at one time were into Judaism and took the class as a study in things to debunk about the bible. The guy was mostly interested in piffal [not his wife] and was quite knowledgeable about Judaism.

Like myself, he questioned the things that Werewolf and his frauds would come up with. I don't think this guy blinked twice when it came to the things he heard from piffal. He was one of those people that already had his path in life laid out in front of him.

I debunked Werewolf for the fraud he was by learning from the scholar's he was plagiarizing. E W Kenyon, KC Pillia, and Bullinger.

Good for you! I was referring to those who would say they were not able to prove it wrong. I'm glad you had the initiative to look stuff up. I sure didn't.

Who would think a minister would make a bald-faced lie about something like that?

Who would think a minister would make such a claim if he hadn't researched it first?

That's why we didn't think to check him. People are a LOT more cynical now,

and it's a LOT easier to check things with the internet existing now.

It's a LOT easier to check things with the internet existing now.

Yeah, but you didn't need the Internet for that, all you needed was a dictionary!

hells bells i don't know anything, but i think you're very okay broken arrow - hope someday you're not broken, me too

Thanks Excie! :rolleyes:

Hey, BA, I'm a former English teacher, English major, reader and writer and I never questioned it until I left. Go figure.

anyways, Happy Easter. Service was great this morning.

Thank you WG! Glad you had a great service! Say hello to Mr. Garden.