GreaseSpot Cafe

The 2014 Extravaganza & ordination of vpw

excathedra

The poor kid doesn't even have his own name. Much less his own mind, his own thoughts, his own life.

One day, he's gonna sit back and think, What's it all about? Where's my life gone? What do I really think and believe?

Hmmmmm.....

Or, worse, he may end up on his deathbed, and only THEN look back and realize that he wasn't

allowed to have his own identity, and permitted to have his own thoughts.

Back in the 70's when most of us got involved with twi, there was no internet. The information age, as we know it today, did not exist...All a person has to do is google the name Wierwille or The Way International and there is a mountain of information describing in detail exactly what an insideous little cult it really was.

Makes me wonder how the Sowers deal with that? The old timers still hanging around must have developed a new narrative about how the debbil is responsible for all the exposes found throughout the internet. Maybe it goes something like this:

"The dark forces of this world have had over 30 years to cover up the truth with lies. Lies regarding our father in the word and his ministry. Trying to keep people from hearing the truth"

Shame on the old timers who promulgate such bull.......they know better...or at the very least...SHOULD know better.

• Upvote 1

Back in the 70's when most of us got involved with twi, there was no internet. The information age, as we know it today, did not exist...All a person has to do is google the name Wierwille or The Way International and there is a mountain of information describing in detail exactly what an insideous little cult it really was.

Makes me wonder how the Sowers deal with that? The old timers still hanging around must have developed a new narrative about how the debbil is responsible for all the exposes found throughout the internet. Maybe it goes something like this:

"The dark forces of this world have had over 30 years to cover up the truth with lies. Lies regarding our father in the word and his ministry. Trying to keep people from hearing the truth"

Shame on the old timers who promulgate such bull.......they know better...or at the very least...SHOULD know better.

But they have nothing else.

• 2 years later...
On 6/18/2014 at 11:02 AM, chockfull said:

"together we can turn the world upside down.... that is right-side up because it's all kitty wompus"

Glad to see young V2P2 is focusing on the important things like purloining gramps old unfunny stupid phrases from PFAL.

Appropriately, the 2014 "Extravaganza" had what, 8 total tables at it? I would think that to turn the world upside down you might need more than 8 tables, and if what you've got is 8 tables then maybe you aren't doing much turning the world upside down.

Chock, if the Sowers had 800 tables, they still couldn't do jack in taking the word over the world.

On 6/20/2014 at 2:28 PM, newlife said:

Bottom line is....TWI lives on....whether we like it or not. May be by another name, but the programs WOW, Corps, LEAD are still there. I feel that he has been groomed for this since he was a kid...so, it's all he knows.....and I bet he's been told more than once...it's up to you to carry on the legacy of your grandfather. Was he even born when his grandfather was alive?? He doesn't look to be that old. He just stepped right into the shoes that were put before him and he probably knows nothing else but this because this is all he's been told to do. Not to excuse him, but, this is just my opinion of it all. And if he has a son, it will continue on and on......

It is small now, but I am betting, it will grow just like TWI did. I just hope that He hasn't the traits of his grandfather with the women.

New life, I don't think Sowers will go like TWI did.  I think a lot of people will look it up on the Internet, and realise it's a lot of bunk.  I don't think it will ever be more than a handful of people, at any one time.

On 6/20/2014 at 8:00 PM, Steve Lortz said:

I sincerely doubt that TWI or any of its offspring will ever again grow the way it did in its hay day. There are lots of once popular cults that are now deader than door nails. The message of PFAL was dated when Wierwille recorded it. None of his later attempts to re-record it, like in 1977, were successful. None of the TWI material can speak to people today the way it spoke to us in the late-'60s, '70s, and early-'80s.

Some "cults", like the Mormons, the Seventh Day Adventists and the Jehovah's Witnesses survived the deaths of their founders and continued to develop and grow. The Way International did not. It ceased to develop, and imploded. As I have often said, Dave Arneson's invention of recreational role-playing has had, and will continue to have, a vastly more widespread, profitable and loving impact on society and culture than Wierwille's cult.

These guys are just engaged in a role-playing game... but it's not as much fun as D&D.

Love,

Steve

Steve, interesting post.  People know that D&D is a game; young Victor is serious about Sowers. I think his cult will die out in a few years; why would anyone be interested in working for free?

On 6/30/2014 at 0:06 PM, GrouchoMarxJr said:

GM, great post!!  Yes,  I think the old timers should know better than to "promulgate" such hogwash, but I think they do it for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, I think the old folks do it for the money.  Some young people will pay the Sowers, to work free, like the Corps did decades ago.  Also, I think some of the old timers do it for a sense of control.  Young Victor may seem to be the one in control, but it is possible that the old timers control what happens to the group.  Finally, I think the old timers want to resurrect TWI again, and give it a new name, with a young face.  I think ultimately the group will fail, and young Victor will be the scapegoat for its failure.