GreaseSpot Cafe

Of attorneys

I occasionally look at online Daily Bread and this week’s topic is the book of Job. There is an introductory section outlining the background to the book. This includes the following:

The idea of God’s council reflects common royal practice in the ancient Near East: kings received reports and gave directives in council. Courtiers often acted as the king’s roving eyes regarding his subjects’ loyalty (see 1 Kings 22:19–22; Psalm 82:1). The satan was God’s courtier; the word (with the definite article in Hebrew) indicates his functionality, not his name. He was the prosecuting attorney (Hebrew: ‘to oppose at law’).

I’ve heard in TWI teaching of Satan the Accuser – never that it is some sort of functional or legal role.

And I thought of Jesus being our Righteous Advocate- always there, defending us. His role, his position, his choice. I think maybe TWI might have described him as our Defence Attorney.

Also, (the) satan had come into God’s presence from walking to and fro upon the earth. But Jesus is always there, always ready to defend. He doesn’t need to walk about to and fro. Hmm.

I’ve never seen these roles put together quite like this and thought the juxtaposition was interesting and brought out a new aspect of the “role” of both. A new perspective.

Or perhaps that’s just my legal background speaking.