GreaseSpot Cafe

Ice Bucket Challenge

Raf

Anyone participate in this thing yet?

For those who haven't heard of it, the challenge is to donate $100 to an ALS charity (Lou Gehrig's Disease) OR, if you can't make that much of a donation, to give less AND pour a bucket of ice over your head. You record yourself doing that, then you challenge others to do the same. Most folks are giving AND donating, and the result has been phenomenal.

I did it over the weekend (as usual, I put my own twist on it: I auctioned off the opportunity for someone else to pour the bucket over my head. Ended up raising $450 that way).

I'll post the video later. For those who are Facebook friends with me, you've probably already seen it.

If you've done it, post the video. I'd love to see it.

No, and I won't. Good luck to the campaign though. The husband of a good friend of mine died from ALS and I hope they find a cure. I don't donate to that or Jerry Lewis' MDA thing either because I figure they have enough "high power" givers nationwide. There's a lot of small time charities here in town that don't get the recognition like the "big time" causes do, and they need money and funds too. I do my best to shop local, and donate local.

• Upvote 2

Ice bucket challenge seems to have been picked up in the UK by the Macmillan Society (cancer research and support charity). The Motor Neurone Society isn't best pleased.

That doesn't look a comfortable place to be (shiver!)

Actually I saw a letter today in my local paper - presumably sent to many newspapers, local and national - from an Animal Aid charity explaining that this challenge isn't a good idea from the animal welfare point of view. The funds raised go to research into Motor Neurone Disease (aka ALS in the USA) - and that research takes place on animals. According to this letter, only one animal experiment out of many has shown some (dubious) positive results.

Here is the text of the letter:

Animal Aid is urging the public not to take part in the ALS ice bucket challenge, as the Motor Neurone Disease Association – the main beneficiary of the craze in the UK – funds experiments on animals.

Such tests include those using genetically modified mice bred to suffer severe motor impairment and muscle weakness.

Quite apart from the appalling suffering it inflicts on animals, such research has repeatedly failed to produce effective treatments for humans.

Over the past ten years, around 12 experimental treatments that showed promise in animal 'models' of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (a type of motor neurone disease) have been given to humans in clinical trials.

All except one treatment failed, and that only has marginal benefits in terms of patient survival.

For genuine progress to be made in treating this devastating condition, charities like the Motor Neurone Disease Association must focus their resources entirely on humane and effective non-animal research.

For a free pocket guide to charities that do and don't fund vivisection, please contact Animal Aid by phoning 01732 364 546 ext. 233 or emailing Isobel@animalaid.co.uk

Isobel Hutchinson

Campaigner

Animal Aid

The Old Chapel

Bradford Street

Tonbridge, Kent

Generally speaking, if research using animals didn't yield results, we'd stop.

I respect anyone who chooses not to give on the basis that animals are used in testing.

Same goes for embryonic stem cells.

I respect anyone who chooses not to give for ANY reason, so long as that reason is true (for example, "I won't give to ALS because I don't care" counts as a valid reason, and I respect that).

The only thing I don't respect (and no one here has even come close) is deciding not to give for invalid reasons (aka, LIES). I've seen some real slander directed at the ALS Association, and I'm appalled by it.

But no sense giving those lies anymore undeserved publicity.