GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI and the Myth Makers

skyrider

From where I sit today.....

I am convinced that wierwille was a low-life, plagiarist-chasing preacher with psychological issues.

He violated sound doctrine and perpetrated myths of grandeur to fill the void of a bankrupt soul and

sociopathic disorder. His consistent Drambuie-drinking and drunkenness, most prevalent in closed corps

meetings no less, was an admission of his subtle, deceiving core. And, in the end, he as much admitted

that he wished he'd walked a higher road.

I am convinced that twi was (and still is) a cult. The longer one stay involved, the deeper and twisted

the manipulation. Whether out-lying areas have "gentle" corps leadership or disciplinarians.....the real

magic and manipulation is taking place at the corporate level. Slowly, ever-so-slowly....twi monitors

behavior, information, thoughts, and emotions. I still remember Bob Moneyhand's counsel to me to NOT

ALLOW this Florida "believer" (m/a?) to attend his sister's funeral in my state. No compassion....no

emotion for this grieving brother?

I am convinced that the twi-machinery had been pumping out press releases, myth-making, from its inception.

Wierwille was a slick marketer and knew the power of deception.....er, persuation. He was the best.

His ministry was going to be top-notch. He was the PT Barnum and Biblical Bailey Circus with the greatest

show on earth.....underneath the biggest tent on the planet. And, he was the undisputed MOG of the universe

towering of the likes of Rev. Billy Graham and Oral Roberts.

I am convinced that the corps program was conceived with ulterior, deceptive intent.....to indoctrinate and

supplant the faithful into indentured servitude. The process of incremental immersion was the basis from

which wierwille would proceed.....after his failure with the zero corps. See, trial and error was how vpee

gradually learned his trade. He made plenty of mistakes along the way, but with a full-court press of

adulating grandeur, every week brought plenty of activity and servitude to one's doorstep.

And.....I am convinced that had the internet been around in 1970, wierwille and twi would have fallen by the

wayside. At the time, the myth makers had the cunning craftiness to isolate the followers from family, friends

and coworkers. The rock of ages became a pilgrimage to annually reunite in sweltering heat and sweaty tents.

Youth, rebellion, and "anti-religion" were pillars to this dysfunctional array of misfits. But hey.....we

were the best. The man, himself, told us so.

The myth makers can no longer control the narrative.

Greasespot is here.

Edited by skyrider

I suppose, if she had thought deeply enough, Dorothy might have identified some good times she and Toto had while in OZ. There were some good times in The Way, too. That doesn't negate the fact that the whole thing was a sham. Wierwille was the man behind the curtain. He had no special powers aside from his abilities as a con artist. We were living inside a mythical kingdom. The kingdom fragmented and it's subjects continue to hobble onward in places like Mississippi. Life would be so much easier if we could just click our heels 3 times and be done with it. Instead, we click the send key and continue to solve the puzzle and offer support to each other.

I would just like to say hello, it has been a long time. One, I don't think, ever recovers the lost life stolen on false pretenses..., but life goes on. I have a whole family that would have been non-existent had I not been suckered into the Way. Therefore, I live from this day forward, trying not to regret my own naivety any more than possible. Peace to all.

• Upvote 1

I would just like to say hello, it has been a long time. One, I don't think, ever recovers the lost life stolen on false pretenses..., but life goes on. I have a whole family that would have been non-existent had I not been suckered into the Way. Therefore, I live from this day forward, trying not to regret my own naivety any more than possible. Peace to all.

Howdy D, i hear yah and sometimes feel the same way. sometimes i feel there's mistakes i've made and hurtful things i've experienced that i'll never get over. but like you've said life goes on. so one way or another i've got to get going too.

sometimes i look at what my naivete cost me in terms of financial loss, relationships lost, the prime years of my youth lost, career losses, etc. and it makes me sick! and then sometimes i look at that cost as the tuition i paid to learn - and i mean really learn some valuable life lessons. the importance of critical thinking,the fulfillment of simply trying to be a good husband and father, treating others like i want to be treated, trying to be smart with my money & resources, etc.

yeah i bought into TWI's myths of how i could have whatever i believed for, attain super-spiritual savvy, bend Bibles in my bare hands, and be an apostle to everyone i met. one time i had a branch leader blow smoke up my azz by telling me he could see me as president of TWI. and the really dumb thing is - - - i actually wanted to believe him.

A great thing i've realized is the advantage of talking with others - whether here at Grease Spot...or with family and friends; talk things out; truly express what we feel... we don't have to succumb to the myth entrenched atmosphere of TWI and follow the herd.

Howdy D, i hear yah and sometimes feel the same way. sometimes i feel there's mistakes i've made and hurtful things i've experienced that i'll never get over. but like you've said life goes on. so one way or another i've got to get going too.

sometimes i look at what my naivete cost me in terms of financial loss, relationships lost, the prime years of my youth lost, career losses, etc. and it makes me sick! and then sometimes i look at that cost as the tuition i paid to learn - and i mean really learn some valuable life lessons. the importance of critical thinking,the fulfillment of simply trying to be a good husband and father, treating others like i want to be treated, trying to be smart with my money & resources, etc.

yeah i bought into TWI's myths of how i could have whatever i believed for, attain super-spiritual savvy, bend Bibles in my bare hands, and be an apostle to everyone i met. one time i had a branch leader blow smoke up my azz by telling me he could see me as president of TWI. and the really dumb thing is - - - i actually wanted to believe him.

A great thing i've realized is the advantage of talking with others - whether here at Grease Spot...or with family and friends; talk things out; truly express what we feel... we don't have to succumb to the myth entrenched atmosphere of TWI and follow the herd.

Was kind of you to respond. Got out,I believe, in '84. Good to see this site up and running again. Life is very good, and learning is pro-active.

What you said about tuition paid is very true. Quite costly, but certainly applicable lessons learned. Another day, my friend.

The greatest myth in TWI world is that VP was an honest man.

The greatest myth-busters of TWI world is Grease Spot Cafe.

and Skyrider and Waysider is GSC's answer to Adam Savage and Jaime Heinenman. But who is GSC's Kari Byrom?

and Skyrider and Waysider is GSC's answer to Adam Savage and Jaime Heinenman. But who is GSC's Kari Byrom?

i'd suggest Excathedra...and i don't disagree with the Grease Spotters you've named...but i'd also add Word Wolf - he is one incisive wolf.

Maybe I'm Tory Belleci. smile.gif

yeah, i can see that...

now i'll tell you who i identify with....Chris Williams is one of the writers for MythBusters credited with over 60 episodes...now look to the left of Chris - yeah, see that pudgy old fart handing Chris a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks...uh huh - that's me.

Metaphor- not literally true to fact, comparing one thing to another

This didn't suggest they are those people, just similar to them in at least one way.

i'd suggest Excathedra...and i don't disagree with the Grease Spotters you've named...but i'd also add Word Wolf - he is one incisive wolf.

Maybe I'm Tory Belleci. :)/>

Not literally the guy, but with at least one similarity.

The CONTEXT set the meaning rather clearly.

yeah, i can see that...

now i'll tell you who i identify with....Chris Williams is one of the writers for MythBusters credited with over 60 episodes...now look to the left of Chris - yeah, see that pudgy old fart handing Chris a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks...uh huh - that's me.

Not literally him, but with at least one similarity.

We're not going to try to dress like them, and I'm certainly not going

to grow Tory's beat-chin hair.

Not literally him, but with at least one similarity.

We're not going to try to dress like them, and I'm certainly not going

to grow Tory's beat-chin hair.

some of us have more than one similarity: i am rather chunky and old - turned 60 last year - so relatively old - just not so old i fart dust...not yet anyway.

Hmmmm

I do enjoy watching stuff get "blowed up".

Bwaaahaha!

thanks for that 2nd City clip, Waysider - those explosive Farm Boys were one of my favorites!

no clue until i saw excathedra and then i googled kari byrom and she is some kind of a myth buster

so thank you

honestly, i have never done anything here (well i've had fun) except tell what happened to me with wierwille and other leaders of that insignificant cult which was very significant to me back then