GreaseSpot Cafe

Senior Citizen Servitude

skyrider

Don't fprget that "they" put Mrs W in a nursing home when her Alzheimer's got too much for them. Didn't the W family have to pay for that, though, not TWI?

I remember back when I was in my 20s/30s there weren't many seniors in any twig I was in. We gave them some love during fellowship, but didn't really want to hang with them other than that.

It occurs to me that in the late 70s the powers that were in twi were not seniors. Today, Rosalie is in her 70s and Howard Allen is in his 80s. Would that possibly affect the treatment of seniors in twi? They can't say it's their problem anymore because they are them.

I remember back when I was in my 20s/30s there weren't many seniors in any twig I was in. We gave them some love during fellowship, but didn't really want to hang with them other than that.

It occurs to me that in the late 70s the powers that were in twi were not seniors. Today, Rosalie is in her 70s and Howard Allen is in his 80s. Would that possibly affect the treatment of seniors in twi? They can't say it's their problem anymore because they are them.

They might say nothing, and just enjoy their golden parachutes.

Remember, to ask questions in twi ABOUT twi risks social punishments and possible expulsion.

Yes, they could do that but it would be in direct contradiction to Way dogma. During the time of my involvement, we were told NOT to help any charities. We were only to help local people if they were standing Way believers, preferably those at a leadership level.. Instead of giving to charitable causes, we were supposed to help people in need by selling them a seat in the PFAL class so *The Word* could help them. Remember, also, we were taught that God could not bless you unless you tithed (10%) and abundantly shared (over and above 10%). In fact Martindale is famous for saying that "God wouldn't even bother to spit in your direction" for anything less than 15%. It's quite a dilemma. If you leave, where do you give your money? I know when I left, I had apprehensions about what would happen because I no longer abundantly shared.

I know what happened when you no long abundantly shared - you had MORE money!!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Remember, to ask questions in twi ABOUT twi risks social punishments and possible expulsion.

Um, to be IN twi, you've already been socially punished and expelled.

. . .

Yep

Not exactly.

H.E. Wierwille, Sec/Treasurer of twi died in 1977........age 70

Ermal Owens, vice prez of twi died in 1979...............age 69

And, in December 1979......vpee was 63

So, at WHAT AGE does one have to be to "understand how to deal with seniors?" :rolleyes:

Not exactly.

So, at WHAT AGE does one have to be to "understand how to deal with seniors?" :rolleyes:/>

I'm going to be a senior in a few years, I guess. I'm going to deal with me. I don't expect help from anybody and I don't plan to ever retire. BTW Ermal died in 1981.

Not exactly.

So, at WHAT AGE does one have to be to "understand how to deal with seniors?" :rolleyes:/>

*checks calender* . . . Those folks, assuming they actually existed, ha ha ha , what do they have to do with modern seniors?

Those folks belong in myth. How much do relevant discussions of twi need to involve them? If this were 20 years ago, maybe. Today, it's as if they never existed. They exist in discussion to hide other matters.

They're not here, they don't matter. When dealing with modern wayfer seniors, does the past behavior of twi matter? Is it relevant? Doesn't johniam have a point?

A peninsula is attached to the mainland. You tell me.

*digs canal*

The age gap in today's twi, where leaders rule over the followers,

is less than in wierwille's day.....

Twi's Trustees at PFAL '77

In 1977......vpw was 60

In 1977......ermal was 65

In 1977......harry was 70

Lots of us were 23-25 years old.

Gee.......only like a 40 year age gap.

Today's "average" age is what?....48?

Lots of 55-63 year olds boosting the "average" age in twi.

Even when Don and Howard were "installed"......many of us

still thought of Howard as vpee's bus driver. lol

Edited by skyrider

"Now, if we could just figure who THEY are . "

Hmmm, I thought we were talking about twi...The board of trustees, other high ranking twi decision makers...the organization as a whole. They simply love things and use people...until people are no longer of any use...they kick em' to the curb.

Your reality does not exist.

"Now, if we could just figure who THEY are . "

Hmmm, I thought we were talking about twi...The board of trustees, other high ranking twi decision makers...the organization as a whole. They simply love things and use people...until people are no longer of any use...they kick em' to the curb.

Your reality does not exist.

Yes it does.

Bolshevik......this thread seems to be of great interest to you,

yet you seem more intent on throwing curveballs and leaving.

Perhaps, you would like to clarify your points?

What curveball?

Not on here everyday.

Yes it does.

PROVE IT.

The innies have known for decades. Nothing is a surprise.

Skyrider,

This site is notorious for pushing past reality on the present. This thread in particular I find a little personal.

Retirement was talked about in The Way often enough since the 80s. Which is as far back as I can remember. This thread is appears again to be more mocking nonsense when there's actually a need for knowledge. Numerous points are being left out. Groupthink is held just as tightly here as in The Way. At least nobody here is getting hit with sticks.

Taking a modern, relevant problem, and viewing it through the lens of years ago. I'm sure there's a name for that.

Maybe there was no goal with this thread. It seemed to conclude itself in the opening post. I do have great interest, in what I thought the title of this thread meant, so yes I felt let down.

Maybe you perceive curveballs in my posts. I don't see them. If you weren't there, you won't get it.

Bolshevik......thanks for more clarifying your points.

Not sure about your comment on "Retirement was talked about in The Way often enough since the 80s."

I was on hq staff in the early 80s.....and there was VERY LITTLE TALK about retirement, except to say

that vpee and co. pointed to Dorothy Owens and Rhoda Wierwille and Bernita Jess as examples of "who

needs to retire?"

And.....when wierwille was promoting to the sunset corps his **build a cabin at Gunnison and when you die

it becomes twi property** there were NO TAKERS.

Fast Forward to 1995-1996......and this retirement topic was addressed by martindale in a corps

meeting. As full-time corps staff, one couple requested more information about twi's retirement policy

and how they [this couple] should be planning for their retirement. Well, after lcm scoffed at the

audacity of being presented with the question, he got MORE AGITATED as he attempted to explain twi's

stance on retirement. Within another five minutes, and martindale was yelling at the couple for

insinuating that the board of directors didn't have the corps' best interest in mind.

From what I'd heard back in like 2004.....Rosalie [finally] established a semblance of a retirement

package amongst the staffers. Reports seemed to indicate that twi's lawyers were heavily involved in

recommending this in twi's corporate arrangement to avoid further liability. But then again, some

posters said that this was more of a cya-policy and not a heart/compassion/reasoned retirement policy.

With my 24-year tenure in twi as corps/staff/clergy.....its just my opinion.

Edited by skyrider

And again, your opening post seems to want to address TODAY. The posts here of mainly of YESTERDAY.

History is always rewritten. Followers of The Way read The Bible, which is ever-changing, and talk of Wierwille, who exists only in people's minds.

The retirement subject involves generations people in and out of twi. To say twi "kicks people to the curb", to point at leadership, is a lazy cop-out. All organizations do that.

Retirement was talked about. Sometimes by leadership. Mostly by the rank and file PFAL grad - who were a step above the rest of us.

The follower of the The Way will follow their reality . . . and take whoever they can down with them.

But skyrider, do you propose any ideas on how to deal with retiring wayfers? Or are we just here to mock?