GreaseSpot Cafe

Are You More Moral Than Yahweh?

3 minutes ago, Raf said:

If I were responsible for coming up with a list of things to do on behalf of a rape victim, forcing the rapist to pay her father for damaging his property and then marry her would not make the list. Then again, I am a moral person, unlike Yahweh.

I gotcha now.

I agree you wouldn't do those.

But that wouldn't make you more moral.

I really wish there were a way to screen posts for intellectually dishonest arguments and keep them off of threads.

I apologize to anyone who is come here for an interesting conversation only to find it repeatedly interrupted by vapid musings of someone who doesn't seem to grasp the subject of the conversation.

Opinion, this is a picture of a blue sky. Now, watch. Someone will find something to argue about. Because that's the real issue here. Disagreeing with me. It's certainly not the subject of the thread.

15022257044841991006784.jpg

On 11/13/2014 at 9:19 AM, Raf said:

4. You have the ability to instantaneously kill someone by turning him into a pillar of salt. On whom do you demonstrate this ability?

A. A couple in the process of fatally torturing their 3-year-old son.

B. A modern day pedophile.

C. Cain, a split second before he makes Abel the first murder victim.

D. A woman fleeing her burning home who takes a look back to watch everything she knows going up in flames.

E. Hitler.

F. No one. You demonstrate this horrifying ability on no one.

Anyone interested in an actual conversation will note the above examples,

What did the woman looking back represent psychologically?

What did the story of Cain and Abel symbolize?

(or you can insist that the stories are to be understood as literal, then make accusations at Yahweh for being a douche based on literal reading, then insist he doesn't exist anyway and offer solutions to your fabricated problems . . . any attempt to ground the conversation in reality is off topic) 

Suppose the cited stories are symbolic, rather than literal. If we lose sight of what they symbolize because we subscribe to an evolving God hypothesis, they would no longer have meaningful, consistent value.

Edited by waysider
spelling

If the stories are symbolic and not literal then we are not talking about the Yahweh character as portrayed in the Bible, and any extrapolations from that perspective are off topic.

2 minutes ago, Raf said:

If the stories are symbolic and not literal then we are not talking about the Yahweh character as portrayed in the Bible, and any extrapolations from that perspective are off topic.

What does that even mean?

20 minutes ago, waysider said:

Suppose the cited stories are symbolic, rather than literal. If we lose sight of what they symbolize because we subscribe to an evolving God hypothesis, they would no longer have meaningful, consistent value.

("evolving God" is Raf's term.)

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Definitions should change because understanding changes in a good discussion.  You haven't done anything to clarify your position.  I think others have pointed that out.

This an ex rapist-worship cult site.  Among other things.

There's some need to compare moralities here?

Probably safe in assuming the thread is some sort of good humor demonstration.  A joke.

So we are talking about Yahweh. 

God of the OT.

Yahweh hardens peoples hearts.

Kinda implies lack of free will then?

Since he never changes, he is the same today.

God is evil.  Because he doesn't allow free will.

So, assuming the OT God is there, we don't have a real will 

which means our morality is not a choice, at least in some instances

but since he doesn't exist . . . we wouldn't do that killing for picking up sticks, hypothetically

So we are comparing ourselves to a fictional character.  Are you more moral than the Green Goblin?

The Green Goblin is a terrible example to put forth.  He can't exist.  Not today.  None of us can relate.

Are you more moral than VPW?

Now we're comparing real people to real people.

Would anyone follow such a guy?  No, they'd never admit they would.  And if they did follow him, and found out what he did, they'd stop following IMMEDIATELY.  Hypothetically.

So, since the opening post assumes we can compare moralities, 

we should be able to construct a comparison chart.

Maybe list everyone on GSC, who are more moral than Yahweh, and rank them by morality.

Maybe a system of points to assign relative moralities to every individual?

This should inspire low scorers to pick it up a little

On 8/8/2017 at 4:57 PM, Raf said:

Opinion, this is a picture of a blue sky. Now, watch. Someone will find something to argue about. Because that's the real issue here. Disagreeing with me. It's certainly not the subject of the thread.

15022257044841991006784.jpg

On 11/13/2014 at 6:11 PM, Raf said:

If you disagree that exercising freedom of religion should be punishable by death by stoning, you are more moral than Yahweh.

If you disagree with killing an entire town, men, women, children, and pets, because someone in that town -- or, hell, the entire town -- converted to a different religion, you are more moral than Yahweh.

And that's what was said here?   

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

Right, to exist is to disagree.

The previous article I posted on this said, paraphrasing, we disagree with each others morality.  Each of us thinks ourselves more moral than everyone else.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/most-people-consider-themselves-to-be-morally-superior/

So we could just remove the Old Testament then because I think that might be the confusion (see I disagreed again)

Ah, so by definition, we can't, are unable, to think of ourselves as less moral?  

(am I any closer?)

Flowchart:

Yahweh says don't pick up sticks or you get stoned to death  ---->   I disagree with that concept  ----->  I am therefore more moral than Yahweh

What more should be added to this flow chart?