GreaseSpot Cafe

Turning Points - What Got You Involved and Committed?

JavaJane

I got involved due to a series of events:

My cousin, with whom I was very close, worked in the same office as the guy who was the local Twig Leader. He witnessed to her and invited her to Twig meetings. In retrospect, I believe it was a "date & switch" situation.

At Christmastime that year I was in my cousin's house (she lived upstairs from me in a two-family house) and her mother showed me a Christmas card which was signed "God loves you and I do too". My Aunt asked me to attend some of these Twig meetings to keep an eye on my cousin

At the time I was beginning to question my family's religion and was investigating other religions, as well as having been exposed to other faiths in college.

What I heard at my first Twig interested me intellectually and I was intrigued enough to continue attending. At some point I visited my church's clergyman and asked him to clarify some of the differences between what my church and The Way taught. His answers were flip and unsatisfying, I signed up for PFAL that night

Within 2 years I was going WOW, far from home

In Tom Petty's song Freefalling he says I'm gonna leave this world for awhile. Twi gave us all a chance to leave our worlds for awhile. Not necessarily such a bad thing.

Frankly, considering the lyrics of the song "Wanna free fall out into nothing,

gonna leave this world for a while", in context, strongly suggest the singer is

planning to take drugs to escape his nostalgic regrets about mistakes made

when he was younger (while observing youngsters in the present),

a more interesting comparison emerges from bringing up the song.

Many people, looking back, regret involvement with twi while they were younger,

and some might even self-medicate (drink, etc) to escape the memory of what they

did. I don't think the self-medication is a good idea, since it doesn't address

the regrets.

Since that relates, at least tangentially, to having gotten involved and committed

to twi (by addressing the feelings after leaving), that makes this slightly relevant

to the thread instead of wildly off-topic.

I've heard plenty of times folks were asked to go to fellowship . . . . and they just never stopped going. No reason. No reason to stay . . . no reason to leave.

They can't give a reason why they go to fellowship. Some people can just be told "Do this". And they just do it.

Just how they are probed.

I've heard plenty of times folks were asked to go to fellowship . . . . and they just never stopped going. No reason. No reason to stay . . . no reason to leave.

They can't give a reason why they go to fellowship. Some people can just be told "Do this". And they just do it.

Just how they are probed.

Even if a person can't articulate the reason (lack of self-awareness perhaps), there is still a reason.

For many people, for whichever group they lock onto as young adults, the reason is a sense of belonging.

I was in Yellow Springs after I graduated from Antioch College and I was still hanging around since I had no direction. I was living in a house with a bunch of other people and I met a college WOW and went to Twig. We were close enough to HQ to go there. I met Donnie Fugit and other people. We went to the Sunday night services in the BRC where Dr. Wierwille taught. I had been in many other spiritual things that were contrary to God's Word - things that God strongly disapproves of as recorded in the OT, another spiritual realm other than the true God's. I perceived a totally different spirituality there. I could tell the difference. Then I went to a BOW WOW in West Virginia, even though it was for WOWs. And I experienced the same thing spiritually. I felt that God was bringing me out of the darkness that I thought was light. So I guess that was it. Then I took the class in Columbus and I was in it for good, or so I thought until the late 80's when TWI was so far from when I was first in and all I wanted was out.

Faith is a funny thing. I can't prove that what I believe is true, but nobody else can prove that it isn't. Oakspear once pointed out that most peoples' faith started with a feeling. Mine did, originally.

I was in 4th grade. My mom took me to Fountain street church, a liberal church. She would drop me off in this room where they showed cartoons like Goofy, Bugs Bunny, Popeye, etc. Then she would join the adults and after the last cartoon us kids had to go to our Sunday school class. One Sunday I waited a few minutes after the last cartoon for whatever reason and I was alone in the room. Then a movie about Jesus came on. Lasted an hour or so. That was the beginning. This feeling came over me that I would eventually become familiar with. It felt like the presence of God. It felt good.

After the movie I went to my Sunday school class. They asked me where were you. I was still pretty buzzed from that feeling. I told them I'd seen a movie about JESUS!!! They smirked at me.

The next time that feeling came was during 10th grade. Two friends, both of whom are atheists, said they were going to a prayer meeting at a Presbyterian church. I went. That feeling was powerful this time.

Then in the summer of 1975 I was a college student and I had a job as a state park ranger assistant. I was away from all my friends and 2 coworkers asked me to go to their respective churches. One was weird. This guy kept saying PRAISE Jesus while the minister was giving his sermon. That feeling wasn't there. The other one was better. The feeling came back while he was preaching. He got with me after the sermon and told me he'd read the bible cover to cover 22 times and the more he read it, the more he believed it. I went there one or two more times. One of those times I smoked a joint before going. They didn't act like they knew but they probably did. The pot didn't delete the feeling.

I went to my first twig in Oct. of 1976. That feeling has never gone away. Even during times of no fellowship. It doesn't feel as new and exciting as it did at first, but it's still there and it still feels good.

Faith is a funny thing. I can't prove that what I believe is true, but nobody else can prove that it isn't. Oakspear once pointed out that most peoples' faith started with a feeling. Mine did, originally.

I was in 4th grade. My mom took me to Fountain street church, a liberal church. She would drop me off in this room where they showed cartoons like Goofy, Bugs Bunny, Popeye, etc. Then she would join the adults and after the last cartoon us kids had to go to our Sunday school class. One Sunday I waited a few minutes after the last cartoon for whatever reason and I was alone in the room. Then a movie about Jesus came on. Lasted an hour or so. That was the beginning. This feeling came over me that I would eventually become familiar with. It felt like the presence of God. It felt good.

After the movie I went to my Sunday school class. They asked me where were you. I was still pretty buzzed from that feeling. I told them I'd seen a movie about JESUS!!! They smirked at me.

The next time that feeling came was during 10th grade. Two friends, both of whom are atheists, said they were going to a prayer meeting at a Presbyterian church. I went. That feeling was powerful this time.

Then in the summer of 1975 I was a college student and I had a job as a state park ranger assistant. I was away from all my friends and 2 coworkers asked me to go to their respective churches. One was weird. This guy kept saying PRAISE Jesus while the minister was giving his sermon. That feeling wasn't there. The other one was better. The feeling came back while he was preaching. He got with me after the sermon and told me he'd read the bible cover to cover 22 times and the more he read it, the more he believed it. I went there one or two more times. One of those times I smoked a joint before going. They didn't act like they knew but they probably did. The pot didn't delete the feeling.

I went to my first twig in Oct. of 1976. That feeling has never gone away. Even during times of no fellowship. It doesn't feel as new and exciting as it did at first, but it's still there and it still feels good.

Interesting post. I became a Christian at a young age and I had similar "feelings" at some meetings I went to. Like informal coffee shops and church retreats. Interestingly enough, for me, I never got that "feeling" when I was in a TWI group. I felt it was almost like a business. The believers had rote answers for everything. Opposite opinions were politely ignored and passed off as that I would understand when I had "the class". I took "the class" and I was less than impressed. But everyone else seemed to impressed and shocked whenever I expressed any sort of dissent. Soon, I decided that the problem was with me and I slowly succumbed to Way doctrine. I stuck around for a long time and graduated from the Way Corps. I was convinced by then that Way doctrine was 100% accurate and its leaders were inspired by God almighty himself. Still, I never felt a tenderness or warmness from the group and I was pretty cold and bristly myself. Maybe I just have a problem connecting with people emotionally, I dunno. I always felt "less than" and that I didn't measure up. I don't think that attitude was instilled by TWI. I had that issue long before becoming involved. Why did I stay? I'm not really sure. I think I was looking for something that would give me a sense of worth and purpose. Twi didn't do that, but I kept holding out hope it would. Why did I leave? After POP was read but not because of its contents. It was the disillusionment of seeing men who I thought were like God Himself on earth, acting like young teenagers. It was pathetic and I was shocked at the immaturity of our supposed elite leadership. I still hung in there though for a couple of years because I held out hope that somehow everyone would "see the light", whatever that was.

Since then, and with the help of Greasespot, I've learned that, or at least concluded that most of what we learned was at best an opinion and at worst deceit. After reading writings and teachings from people other than TWI "scholars", I've concluded that really PFAL wasn't all that impressive with respect to "Biblical Research". And, I agree with Waysider, there never was anything uniquely good about TWI from its inception. Neither the world nor Christendom is at any sort of loss from TWI's decline. Having said that, I believe in a loving God who gives and blesses lavishly. So I don't doubt people when they say they experienced a relationship, a blessing, or a healing from God while involved with that organization. But these blessings are not a result of doctrinal purity or anything unique about TWI. I believe the most valuable things I learned from TWI were the order of the books of the Bible and the exposure to the written pages of the Bible. I think scripture memorization was a good thing. I still benefit from these things to this day. The interpretations of said verses, not so much.

Edited by Broken Arrow
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2015 at 1:31 AM, Allan said:

God got me involved, my own integrity kept me committed, Dave Lutz, Claudette Royal kept me sane, God got me out.

Allan, yes!!  God got me in also.  I loved the music, and I really enjoyed many of the people I met in TWI.  However, when it was time to leave, God got me out.  As bad as TWI was/is, I am thankful that it lead me to God.

On 2/2/2015 at 3:04 AM, Allan said:

Not sure what you mean Johniam ? I'm glad for getting into it and I'm doubly glad for getting out lol :biglaugh:All

Allan, I will never regret my involvement with TWI, because it lead me to God.  I left in 1988, and it seemed to me, TWI was going downhill quickly.  From reading various posts here at the GSC, TWI went from crazy to catastrophic.

On 2/2/2015 at 3:29 PM, Raf said:

I don't understand "God got me in, God got me out."

Did God tell you, "Hey, knock on that door. The person who answers it is going to help you in ways you never thought possible"?

Or was it a more [seemingly] mundane set of developments you attribute to God because they impressed you so much? Or was it remarkable, and that's how you knew it was God? (Like a burning bush or a talking donkey).

"God got me in" tells us what you concluded, but it doesn't tell us anything tangible.

For me, Word Wolf endured a bitterly cold night witnessing to me after (he firmly believes) he heard God tell him he was needed and directed him to where I was. It wasn't the fact that he found me that impressed me so much. It was what he said. It was a LONG conversation. An impressive one. I was impressed. I wanted to learn more. Etc.

Not, "God got me in." Maybe He did. Maybe He didn't. But saying He did doesn't convey the slightest bit of information.

Which is FINE, if you don't want to answer to question. But if you do [want to answer the question], it doesn't [answer anything].

Raf, I really believe God lead me to TWI.  I got in during Wintertime of 1978. My first Twig was great; we were young, we had fun together, and fellowship was exciting.  I loved hearing The Word; finally I knew that God loved me.  I had a very harsh, and unhappy childhood, and felt unloved. To know that  Almighty God loved me, was breathtaking!!  However, within a few years, TWI had changed; there was a lot of pressure for PFAL classes to run.  The Word hadn't changed, but TWI had; it was all about money, and how many classes your Twig ran.  And when Geer's paper came out in 1986, I knew I was going to leave; it was just a matter of time. So I left in May of 1988, and no one gave me any grief about it.  I left, and knew that TWI, and I had parted company for good.

On 2/4/2015 at 10:07 AM, Raf said:

If you're going to rebuke me, please properly accuse me. I offered no comment about what Allan perceived, felt or understood at the time. I asked him a question, which he graciously answered. Your rebuke is out of line and uncalled for. All posters' comments are welcome if on topic. Problem with me? Report it.

Raf, I love reading your posts!  I wish you would post more often!:dance:

On 2/4/2015 at 1:31 PM, waysider said:

I think I was the one who challenged the premise. I apologize. It just seemed rather pointless to me that God would get you into something, only to have to get you back out. You know, all that stuff about foreknowledge and whatnot. Seems like a better plan could have been found that didn't include all the unnecessary nonsense. Anyway, if it's stories you want, I'll try to put mine together. I don't get as much computer time as I used to so it might be a while.

Way, I would love to hear your stories!!!

On 2/11/2015 at 0:56 PM, waysider said:

Except that, in my opinion, The Way was never the best place for anyone. It was a cult, built on plagiarized works and the ego of VPW. It was already "dried up" when we got there.

Way, your post brings up an interesting point; if I had known it was a cult, would I have stayed with TWI?  I don't think I would have.  Also, knowing what I know about TWI, what I have stayed in as long as I did?  No, I would have left much sooner.  However, I suspect many of us who post here, wish we would have never gotten involved with TWI.  However, I really am glad that I did; it wasn't always Moonlight and Roses, but I learned a lot from my time in TWI.  Never again will I get involved with a Religious Organization.  At least not today; tomorrow I will be wiser about how I spend my time, and money.

On 2/14/2015 at 11:12 PM, Allan said:

exactly JJ ! Talk is good, just let people say what they want to say, how they want to say it...Let's not forget that the whole site is or was originally about us and 'them' (twi). Even tho I may totally be at loggerheads with Wordwolf and Raf over some things, I respect them for what they do and even more for what they've done especially the honesty to get out of twi. I think people like myself and for example St.George who post our thinking about the good WE believe twi did for us at the time should be respected as well. We're just being honest, not trying to trick anyone into thinking the same as us, just being honest...the way WE see it...Long live Greasespot

Allan, bingo!!  I know some people had horrible experiences with TWI, and I understand their feelings.  Some of us had good experiences in TWI, and some of us had mixed experiences, with the TWI.  But, I really enjoy reading the posts; it amazes me how TWI drew so many different types of people into into its web.

On 2/17/2015 at 10:15 PM, Rocky said:

Even if a person can't articulate the reason (lack of self-awareness perhaps), there is still a reason.

For many people, for whichever group they lock onto as young adults, the reason is a sense of belonging.

Rocky, yes!!  I think you nailed it; I think I stayed in TWI, because I wanted to belong some place.  After a while though, I knew it was time to leave.

On 2/19/2015 at 0:11 AM, outandabout said:

I was in Yellow Springs after I graduated from Antioch College and I was still hanging around since I had no direction. I was living in a house with a bunch of other people and I met a college WOW and went to Twig. We were close enough to HQ to go there. I met Donnie Fugit and other people. We went to the Sunday night services in the BRC where Dr. Wierwille taught. I had been in many other spiritual things that were contrary to God's Word - things that God strongly disapproves of as recorded in the OT, another spiritual realm other than the true God's. I perceived a totally different spirituality there. I could tell the difference. Then I went to a BOW WOW in West Virginia, even though it was for WOWs. And I experienced the same thing spiritually. I felt that God was bringing me out of the darkness that I thought was light. So I guess that was it. Then I took the class in Columbus and I was in it for good, or so I thought until the late 80's when TWI was so far from when I was first in and all I wanted was out.

Out, yes!  Fellowship was sweet in 1978; by 1988, TWI was all about pushing classes. I was tired of pushing a Class, that I never liked.

On 2/21/2015 at 10:49 PM, Broken Arrow said:

Interesting post. I became a Christian at a young age and I had similar "feelings" at some meetings I went to. Like informal coffee shops and church retreats. Interestingly enough, for me, I never got that "feeling" when I was in a TWI group. I felt it was almost like a business. The believers had rote answers for everything. Opposite opinions were politely ignored and passed off as that I would understand when I had "the class". I took "the class" and I was less than impressed. But everyone else seemed to impressed and shocked whenever I expressed any sort of dissent. Soon, I decided that the problem was with me and I slowly succumbed to Way doctrine. I stuck around for a long time and graduated from the Way Corps. I was convinced by then that Way doctrine was 100% accurate and its leaders were inspired by God almighty himself. Still, I never felt a tenderness or warmness from the group and I was pretty cold and bristly myself. Maybe I just have a problem connecting with people emotionally, I dunno. I always felt "less than" and that I didn't measure up. I don't think that attitude was instilled by TWI. I had that issue long before becoming involved. Why did I stay? I'm not really sure. I think I was looking for something that would give me a sense of worth and purpose. Twi didn't do that, but I kept holding out hope it would. Why did I leave? After POP was read but not because of its contents. It was the disillusionment of seeing men who I thought were like God Himself on earth, acting like young teenagers. It was pathetic and I was shocked at the immaturity of our supposed elite leadership. I still hung in there though for a couple of years because I held out hope that somehow everyone would "see the light", whatever that was.

Since then, and with the help of Greasespot, I've learned that, or at least concluded that most of what we learned was at best an opinion and at worst deceit. After reading writings and teachings from people other than TWI "scholars", I've concluded that really PFAL wasn't all that impressive with respect to "Biblical Research". And, I agree with Waysider, there never was anything uniquely good about TWI from its inception. Neither the world nor Christendom is at any sort of loss from TWI's decline. Having said that, I believe in a loving God who gives and blesses lavishly. So I don't doubt people when they say they experienced a relationship, a blessing, or a healing from God while involved with that organization. But these blessings are not a result of doctrinal purity or anything unique about TWI. I believe the most valuable things I learned from TWI were the order of the books of the Bible and the exposure to the written pages of the Bible. I think scripture memorization was a good thing. I still benefit from these things to this day. The interpretations of said verses, not so much.

BA, great post!  TWI taught me to read the Bible for myself; I will always be thankful for that. I too think God loves us, and gives us many blessings.  However, I do think TWI is, and has always been about money.  I believe that money is their God.