GreaseSpot Cafe
  • Announcements

• GT

With the upgrade there is no longer separate login ids and display names.  Your login ID is now your display name.
Raf

Is atheism a religion?

58 minutes ago, TLC said:

Perhaps you'll allow me to say that is an assumption on your part.  But you're not alone, by any means.  It's just not my view of it.

sure...I would like to add though -  it might be more than an assumption (which lacks proof) since it can be logically deduced from verses 26 to 28 that mankind was given rulership over sea creatures, birds, livestock etc., and were to fill the earth and subdue it  - the application appears to be global:

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God created mankind in his own image,  in the image of God he created them;  male and female he created them.  God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”…Genesis 1: 26 -28 NIV

Whereas in Genesis 3: 23 it refers to a specific location on earthSo the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken…now granted - after the Fall, I think it may have taken a lot more hard work for people to subdue...control...conquer...master...govern...and be faithful stewards of this world - - but it is a work in progress :rolleyes: .

...anyway - thinking that mankind still has this global mandate is not without support elsewhere…as it says in Psalm 115: 16 The highest heavens belong to the Lord, but the earth he has given to mankind…so it appears to me the mandate may have ever rescinded – even after being banished from Eden...and perhaps Romans 13 can be seen in this light of mankind ruling as well - which speaks of government as being something instituted by God...not any particular form of government but simply as an established, organized way of managing social beings  - (that's us :biglaugh: ).

...and like you said - this is just my viewpoint as well

Edited by T-Bone
typos

6 hours ago, TLC said:

why and/or why would anyone draw a line and say that no life after death isn't just as "scientifically proven" as anything else that you seem to think is?

Because it requires proving a negative.

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Whereas in Genesis 3: 23 it refers to a specific location on earth

No, it doesn't.  That was the point of my post (which was evidently lost in translation.) 

1 hour ago, waysider said:

Because it requires proving a negative.

Obviously you either didn't read, or didn't grasp, the point of my post.

40 minutes ago, TLC said:

Obviously you either didn't read, or didn't grasp, the point of my post.

.I read your post and grasped the point of it. I'm simply answering the question you posed.

Okay, so you read it.  But no, you most assuredly missed the point of it, or you wouldn't have ignored the "if all of that is true, then..." part of the question.

Because what it all boils down to is this:  when it comes to science, proving anything is an impossibility.

(Just google that, if you don't believe me...)

Edited by TLC

I am not going to object to going off topic on this thread, seeing as the conversation flowed rather naturally and the topic itself is so narrow that staying on it too strictly would be dull. Explore away.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Raf said:

I always heard:

Philosophy gives you questions that cannot be answered. Religion gives you answers that cannot be questioned.

I think that’s right…probably why I find myself sitting on the fence between philosophy and religion (although it does tend to give me a sore bu++ :rolleyes: ) - since I like challenging some of the answers that religion provides.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Raf said:

The truth is, there are a LOT of good questions here.

How do you define atheism?

How do you define religion?

How do you define god?

All need answers.

Well…when you put it like that, I’m tempted to forget about any “scholarly references” and just let my 2-bit brain ramble…ergo…hence…thus…

Religion: my idea of what makes a religion is a belief in something beyond the five senses; it is something I hold onto even though there is no proof. I tend to think one of the essential elements in any religion is faith – ya gotta have faith.

God: to me that’s something superhuman…a higher power…an idea I was introduced to at an early age by my parents.

Atheism: relative to the my own 2-bit concepts of religion and God – I am inclined to think atheism is NOT a religion – since faith is not required to accept the fact that everything we perceive simply means that’s all there is.