GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Actor/Actress (or Role)

Raf

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The only ones from the list I can put a face to are Hurt, Cushing, Atkinson, Hugh Grant, and Lumley.  The woman, of course, throws a wrench into this, but there are a number of traditionally male roles now being portrayed by women, e.g., Watson and Moriarty on "Elementary."  Let's try another "Holmesian" role:

Inspector Lastrade?

George

"The only ones from the list I can put a face to are Hurt, Cushing, Atkinson, Hugh Grant, and Lumley."

That's why you're way off base. But I thought a serious enough fan might have gotten ONE of those names to be a giveaway.

" The woman, of course, throws a wrench into this, but there are a number of traditionally male roles now being portrayed by women,"

It IS a traditionally male role, correct.   The other sentence doesn't EXACTLY apply here. (That will make sense when I reveal all.)

"Let's try another "Holmesian" role:Inspector Lastrade?"

No, you're way off-course here.  Wrong pew AND wrong church. (No, that's not any kind of clue, either.)

BTW, 

We saw-with Willy Wonka and Hermione Granger- that parodies count-providing the parody carries the exact same name, i.e.  "George St George as Super-Duper Man" would not count as G St G in the list of Superman actors.  (No, THAT wasn't a hint, either.)

John Hurt        Richard Hurndall        Michael Jayston

Geoffrey Hughes    Toby Jones        Peter Cushing

Jim Broadbent      Hugh Grant     Rowan Atkinson

Paul Mc Gann     Richard E. Grant    Joanna Lumley

Sylvester Mc Coy    Colin Baker   Peter Davison

19 hours ago, WordWolf said:

" But I thought a serious enough fan might have gotten ONE of those names to be a giveaway.

I guess the question then is, "Fan of what?"

Two popular cultural areas of which I have essentially no knowledge are Dr. Who and Harry Potter.  (To that, you can add Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, but each of those has essentially one incarnation, so there wouldn't be multiple actors portraying the same role.)

We seem to have an impasse, here, unless you've been holding back the REAL obvious one(s).  Raf has essentially recused himself; Human doesn't seem to have any idea; and I'm at a loss, as well.

George

Yes, they all played Dr Who in one form or another. (Mrs Wolf figured it out without cheating, but she doesn't want to play logging in.)

John Hurt played "the War Doctor", the Doctor who refused to call himself "the Doctor" because of his behavior when at war.

William Hartnell played the First Doctor, but when he passed away, the First Doctor was played by Richard Hurndall (in The Five Doctors).

Michael Jayston and Geoffrey Hughes played aspects of the Doctor's dark side. Toby Jones did something similar.

Peter Cushing played him on film in 1965 & 1966. No fooling.  

Paul Mc Gann, Sylvester Mc Coy, Peter Davison and Colin Baker all played Doctors in the television series (Fifth thru Eighth.)

Jim Broadbent, Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Grant, Richard E. Grant, and Joanna Lumley were all in the Comic Relief UK

spoof, "the Curse of Fatal Death." (You can see it on YouTube.)

Go ahead, George.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

CMS and JA:  The Riddler

I suspect that the others voiced him in cartoons

George

Correct!   CMS is the Riddler in "Gotham."  John Astin was the 2nd of 2 Riddlers in the old Batman TV show. (We all remember Frank Gorshin, who actually looked like him. Even as a kid, it bothered me when they made another actor-who did not resemble the first- take a role of a villain with no explanation whatsoever.  3 Mr Freezes, 3 Catwomen, 2 Riddlers.  All annoying.  

Robert Englund is an odd choice for voice actor- apt for the cartoon "the Batman", where the Riddler was odd, along with everyone else.