GreaseSpot Cafe

Ohh the irony

GarthP2000

*scratches head*

Since Mormonism is a choice . . . you could stop for awhile, enter establishment, leave establishment, and then go back to being a Mormon.

Unless the establishment chooses to perceive that label for you.

After all the establishment's beliefs are also chosen.

You could choose another establishment?

Or the sign is just a facade. Religion, cults and Mormons have nothing to do with it. Whoever wrote that sign simply lacks creativity and a sense of humor.

Seriously, that sign is current? Somebody actually opened for business and put that sign in their window? Even the laundromat in St. Marys let us use their facilities during ROAs. Adolphs too. Someone once told me, in a different context, that in Louisiana if you go south of interstate 10 it's like going back in time to the 40s or 50s. Did this happen there? Bizarre.

The LDS church recently came out with a compromise on gay rights issues, but their history has been decidedly anti. They want to be seen as tolerant, but they also do not believe in the legalization of gay marriage and, best as I can tell, still favor businesses discriminating against gays on the basis of the religious beliefs of the business owner. That gives the picture the poignancy and "irony" you seek.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/mormon-church-lgbt-laws/

It was not the first time I had been to the Mormon establishment in SLC, UT but this last time was quite an eye opener. I was in the main hall of the historical area and studying quite intensly the miniature (not really that miniature) layout of Jerusalem. I was approached by this hot female (all the other females there were quite attractive - not males that I saw). We had a good discussion, she noted that I was taking quite an interest in the diamarama (if that's correct). We spoke for quite a while but having witnessed myself alot, I did not allow her an "IN". I think that it was just a bout of witnessing wits. So what is the BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): that organizations use sex to sell - somewhat hipochritical (I made up that word). So, when we were in TWI, did we not pick up on that marketing technique. Shoot, it was prevelant in the military: watch military adds, we are all babes. So, the BLUF is: the end justifies the means. You always knew that if you went witnessing together with a babe you got more guys to come to twig but then you (or she) had to back walk but sometimes - IT WORKED!! Now my question is: do you think this "worked" in the 1st century or were we just (in our time) rationalizing. Sorry, I got off topic.

Sure, why not! It's part of our makeup.

Men have always played like they are the better sex, even though, they probably aren't. Maybe it's ego, but men feel more superior in the presence of women.

I was in Utah once with a friend, she took me to the Mormon Tabernacle and I remember that there were a lot of beautiful women there as well, not to mention nosey sort of bi-standers asking me about my business, which was just taking a look around.

As far as cults go, they are a peculiar bunch.

If you look at all (with out exception or distinction) religious organizations, you can see the signs of them all (with out exception or distinction) being "cults". THAT'S the true irony

Depending on the criteria you're examining,

it can easily be said that all organizations of every kind

demonstrate "signs" of being "cults"-

certainly any organization can be made into one with enough work

and the right ingredients.

Ever see a school club become a cult?

It happened, and there was later a book and movie about it.

Politics is ripe for that sort of thing.

(How do you think the KKK's managed to last as long as it has?)

I don't find any irony in that, perhaps others do. All organizations

have the potential for abuse. A news story about corrupt politicians

hardly raises an eyebrow anymore, as "politician" and "white-collar crook"

are often seen as synonymous, and have been for decades and probably

centuries.

I'm pretty sure the message behind the original photo on this thread is, "If you want to discriminate against people on the basis of your deeply held religious beliefs, you need to understand that we can turn that principle right back around on you." It's not more complicated than that.

• Upvote 1