GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Hero TV

Raf

It was a direct quote of the LoT "Invasion!" episode,.at 6:20.

"Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra!"   "I'll take that as 'have fun storming the castle."  "Oh. For real?  You're gonna use Princess Bride against ME?"

I had to get up and finish my laughing fit. Mrs Wolf got it about 3-4 seconds into my seizure.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, and Ray Palmer saying that Supergirl looked like his cousin was cute, too.

Ready for the winter season to begin.  CW is shuffling its lineup.  Not super-heroic, but definitely comic-related, will be "Riverdale."  When I started reading comics, along with DCs, I read Archie and Dennis the Menace.  Dropped the "funny" books when the prices went up.

George

I just found out that there is a new Justice League cartoon show, currently running.  "Justice League Action" runs Saturday mornings on the Cartoon Network.

Unfortunately, it's a 15-minute show, so it doesn't show up in my DVR guide.  I tried taping the shows before and after, but that didn't work.  I think I can set my DVR to record a particular time slot, rather than a specific show.  Alternatively, I might actually use my VCR, which still works.  I notice that at least one episode has been "unlocked" on the Cartoon Network website, for public viewing.

Additionally, a third season of "Young Justice" is scheduled to start soon (in February, I think), though it might only be available on Netflix.

George

• 4 weeks later...

I think that Legends of Tomorrow may be shark-jumping.  Not that I have any problem with "the Legion of Doom," but what's going on with Rip Hunter is ridiculous.

Thanks to Flash, the DC-CW-verse now has Steel, Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy, and the Martian Manhunter.  All we need is Aquaman for Justice League Detroit.  :anim-smile:

Two new shows might be apropos to this thread:  "Legion" (based on a Marvel comic with which I am not familiar) and "Powerless" (sitcom about regular folks dealing with problems caused by (DC) heroes and villains).

As for "Riverdale," I'm not sure I like the Archie-meets-Twin-Peaks feel, though I can recognize most of the characters.  (The gay guy must have joined the crew long after I quit reading the comics.)  What's up with a hot Ms. Grundy having a tryst with Archie, though?? :nono5:

George

On 1/2/2017 at 1:12 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I think that Legends of Tomorrow may be shark-jumping.  Not that I have any problem with "the Legion of Doom," but what's going on with Rip Hunter is ridiculous.

Thanks to Flash, the DC-CW-verse now has Steel, Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy, and the Martian Manhunter.  All we need is Aquaman for Justice League Detroit.  :anim-smile:

Two new shows might be apropos to this thread:  "Legion" (based on a Marvel comic with which I am not familiar) and "Powerless" (sitcom about regular folks dealing with problems caused by (DC) heroes and villains).

As for "Riverdale," I'm not sure I like the Archie-meets-Twin-Peaks feel, though I can recognize most of the characters.  (The gay guy must have joined the crew long after I quit reading the comics.)  What's up with a hot Ms. Grundy having a tryst with Archie, though?? :nono5:

George

Catching up on LoT in the next day or so. I liked the "Raiders" episode, and Mrs Wolf and I kept taking turns catching stuff (I spotted the cameraman with the beard immediately, and giggled when his first name was mentioned, I caught the "wilhelm" and so on-she caught the trash compactor scene before I did... We both missed the 3 years he won awards as a salesman were 1977, 1980 and 1983.) 

I thought the Justice League Lite also had Elongated Man and Zatanna.

Unless there's a new "Legion", he was supposedly a kid of Xavier's- as in, Charles Xavier was the Dad. He was unable to control his mental powers, and ended up with multiple personalities (DID).  Later, he killed Xavier and that started the "Age of Apocalypse" storyline- which was ended with the previous timeline restored after someone used the M'Krann Crystal to fix things.  (All of that's as I remember it, I may have made an error but I care too little to doublecheck it.)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble following "Legion." It's like Charles Xavier's son becomes The Prisoner.  The fact that I nod off and miss potentially useful exposition doesn't help, I suppose.

I'm a bit disappointed with "Powerless," as well.  I love all the DC "Easter eggs," but the characters and plots are rather boring.  This show has a lot of potential, but it better start realizing it, soon, or it won't be around to do so, later.

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems from previews that we're finally gonna get those obvious GLEE connections working with a musical episode of Flash.

It's about time. Jeesh.

(FYI: Flash and Supergirl both had major roles on Glee, and Victor Garber (Legends of Tomorrow) was Jesus in the Godspell movie. And Mayor Shin in The Music Man remake, though he had no songs there.

Ok. I still have "Star Crossed" to watch for Supergirl, and I'm two episodes behind on Legends.

Have not started Iron Fist yet.

But for the record: High marks to Daredevil season 1 and season 2, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Even if Iron Fist ends up being a weak link, The Defenders looks like it stands every chance of being a winner.

I may have to get Netflix.

In the meantime, I actually enjoyed the Flash/Supergirl (with bits of Arrow and Legends) musical crossover!
First plus:  it was a musical, not an opera, so there was plenty of talking between songs.

Second plus:  the singing was good.  I really enjoyed the Barry/Kara song-and-dance number, "Super-Friends."

Third plus:  Hank Henshaw in full Martian mode.  I wish he had been in the BIG crossover

Minus (sort of):  Why is every male singer a tenor? (OK, the Joe/Martin/Malcolm trio at least had a baritone.)

Minus (sort of):  The villain was The Music Meister.  If I'm not mistaken, his only other appearance was in a musical episode of the Batman Brave and Bold cartoon...

All you laggards:  Catch up!!!

George