GreaseSpot Cafe

John Lynn leaves STF

An actual click on the first one shows it bears little resemblance to the mindset

of any twi offshoot.

Gee, someone besides ex-twi thinks studying the Bible's to be recommended-

who would imagine? Didn't we have a monopoly on that? That's what I was led

to believe when I was young and naive...

1427818578[/url]' post='565810']

We had a pastor in a freakin' Presbyterian church that actually expected people to bring their bibles to church.

Edited by Tzaia

I think the terminology is a red flag, to be sure, but not a "tell."

For those who don't know, a "tell" is a term used in poker, and it's how one player knows another player is bluffing. The one who's bluffing will do something, probably something involuntary, that will signal his bluff to anyone who knows to look for it.

Idiosyncrasies. Quirks. Little things that tell people we're dealing with TWI. "The Gathering Together" instead of the rapture is a tell.

PFAL is a tell.

The word of God is the will of God is a tell.

I'm off topic. It might make an interesting thread of its own, though.

Raf, I wrote my "Poker" correlation in another forum before reading your post. You gotta realize, players utilize the "fake tell" to draw you in to think they are bluffing. What, was everyone playing poker this weekend? Yeh, I heard how VPW was irrate about Howard playing penny poker with the grounds folks in the tool shed. Yes, this is off topic but the topic was about JAL and I think it has all digressed from that.

WordWolf, how many churches expect you to bring a Bible to church - for the most part, they don't want you to have one in your hands while they preach (just my experience).

• 4 months later...

Working The Word:

A methodology for studying the Bible that involves examining it for minutia and nuances that may or may not have been lost, added or misunderstood in the ongoing process of translation, with a view toward incorporating said findings into one's value system and personal behavior.

Source: Just pulled that out of my butt. :anim-smile:/>/>

Alternative definition:

Working the Word:

"The Word" in its natural state does not suffice as a tool for manipulating the weak and providing the megalomaniac with power. Thus they will "work" it.

• Upvote 1

WordWolf, how many churches expect you to bring a Bible to church - for the most part, they don't want you to have one in your hands while they preach (just my experience).

Hmmm....

The last one I went to had free Bibles on the back table if you forgot yours, had scripture references on the screen during the sermon, had an App you could download to follow along that had all the scripture references of the sermon in the Notes section of the App as well as a link to an online Bible. Or you could just listen and follow along on the screen if you wanted to.

The one I went to before that to listen to a band was kind of scripture reading oriented. In that they would publish and cover a certain section of scripture during a certain time period. I Kings in September or something. And they didn't really preach, they like read a section of scripture and that was it.

The world is a much bigger place than cultic small groups.

My experiences are a Lutheran up-bringing and confirmation and after leaving for the military visited a few other denominations (to include Roman Catholic) where it was also mostly sermon oriented. Military chaplains though tended to be more needs oriented and more Bible oriented.

• 1 month later...

My experiences are a Lutheran up-bringing and confirmation and after leaving for the military visited a few other denominations (to include Roman Catholic) where it was also mostly sermon oriented. Military chaplains though tended to be more needs oriented and more Bible oriented.

Yo! MRAP? Where Ya been? So much info has gone by since your last bungled pist. TLTF got your tongue and keyboard? Your heroes have really done great so far. Maybe you've just given up your charade? 'Sup buddy?

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2015 at 0:16 PM, WordWolf said:

An actual click on the first one shows it bears little resemblance to the mindset

of any twi offshoot.

WW, I am so embarrassed that I used to think TWI was the only place, where people could go to get an accurate knowledge of The Word!  How stupid I was as a young girl!

On 3/31/2015 at 0:55 PM, Raf said:

I think the terminology is a red flag, to be sure, but not a "tell."

For those who don't know, a "tell" is a term used in poker, and it's how one player knows another player is bluffing. The one who's bluffing will do something, probably something involuntary, that will signal his bluff to anyone who knows to look for it.

Idiosyncrasies. Quirks. Little things that tell people we're dealing with TWI. "The Gathering Together" instead of the rapture is a tell.

PFAL is a tell.

The word of God is the will of God is a tell.

I'm off topic. It might make an interesting thread of its own, though

Yes, it would!!