GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone heard about this show about The Way?

Belle

Coincidence or really based on The Way??

According to the Hulu.com blog, the show, which will be produced by Katims' True Jack Productions, will center around a faith-based movement that causes all kinds of controversy. The show will follow a family caught in the thick of this controversy, and viewers will see how it affects their relationships, marriages and power dynamics.

Read more: http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/54867/20150324/the-way-new-faith-based-drama-coming-to-hulu-from-the-team-behind-parenthood.htm#ixzz3VMSh4vIO

Coincidence or really based on The Way??

According to the Hulu.com blog, the show, which will be produced by Katims' True Jack Productions, will center around a faith-based movement that causes all kinds of controversy. The show will follow a family caught in the thick of this controversy, and viewers will see how it affects their relationships, marriages and power dynamics.

Read more: http://www.gospelher...m#ixzz3VMSh4vIO

Had not heard of it. Sounds intriguing.

I doubt it will be about TWI. But about cults in general, yeah. The directors fancy it'll be this: "a provocative take on a controversial, dangerous and thrilling world."

Which tells me that whatever it is will be sensationalised, and will completely miss the slow erosion of "self" and personal boundaries, and their replacement by group norms.

It's that word "thrilling" that sets my teeth. Scary...neurotic...isolationist...all of these. Even exciting, at times. But thrilling? :confused:/>

The early followers of The Way were known for their generosity and openhandedness, and care for one another. That's not very "cultic" or dramatic.

You could make good drama out of looking at the cult "experience." But drama is all it'll be.

Good to see you back here Belle.....

I don't know....I think it may very well be based on someone's story of their involvement in TWI......I would not at all be surprised at all. Our stories are not exactly the normal way of life!! No doubt we will relate, and see some familiar situations we have encountered in the past. LOL I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks for letting us know.

Nice to see you visit, Belle.

*looks*

My opinion is that it won't be INTENTIONALLY based on twi.

twi's delusions of grandeur to the contrary,

as we all know,

Christians have used "the way" as a name for a very long time,

with Bibles and all sorts of organizations using it.

For that matter, others have used it too- that UFO-cult that

killed themselves had a leader who called himself

"Do"- which translates in English to "way" or "the way."

I suspect this show will resemble a lot of twi here and there

ACCIDENTALLY if it really tries to show cult life

and a cult leader. We'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and I hope twi makes a huge fuss over the show- they would

provide all sorts of free advertising for it, of the type you

can't buy.

I gotta agree with Twinky's take on what such a show would want to highlight but it could be a plot take-off from newlife's post in order to personalize it: kinda of a jump back and forth between the two plots, family side and the leadership with a dramatic confrontation at the end where the two plot lines merge.I also doubt it will even mention anything that could draw it to TWI (or even the very old version of TWI) as WordWolf stated.

Really waysider, Fig Pep on the familia, shoot, I was (am again back) in Wisconsin and we were not even allowed to put milk on the familia, hard core, only water: what a great breakfast for the day ahead of physical work.

So, was anybody on GSC quireed as a subject matter expert for the film?

Edited by MRAP

I found it very interesting that The Way International was talked about in the article that Belle posted. So the person that is behind the program has done some research. That's what makes me think that maybe someone has made their story known, or someone has some first hand knowledge of being in TWI and has based this show on those experiences. Just a thought......be interesting to see what this is about.

I found it very interesting that The Way International was talked about in the article that Belle posted. So the person that is behind the program has done some research.

(snip)

That's not what was said.

The article was not written by "the person that is behind the program",

it was for "Gospel Herald."

THAT article was based on something written on PANTHEOS,

and THAT author mentioned twi, so the GH writer did, also.

The GH article http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/54867/20150324/the-way-new-faith-based-drama-coming-to-hulu-from-the-team-behind-parenthood.htm

linked directly to the Pantheos one.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kateohare/2015/03/parenthood-creator-jason-katims-explores-faith-in-the-way-for-hulu/

The Pantheos one didn't require a lot of research.

In fact, if they had done the following, they would have

gotten the same result, so the MIGHT have done exactly this...

A) Read about Hulu's new show.

B) Noted the name of a religion called "The Way."

C) Gone directly to Wikipedia and typed in "The Way".

D) Gotten the disambiguation page for "the way"

E) Read there that it was "an early term for early Christianity"

and "a Christian denomination founded by Victor Paul Wierwille".

F) Written both down, then clicked on the Wikipedia link for the

Wikipedia page, then jotted down notes from the opening paragraphs.

To those who are internet-savvy, that can be about 20-30 seconds

of "hard research."

The internet has made information that required hours of research

available in seconds or minutes, often. I like that.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I feel like an old grandpa, wearing a sweater in 80-degree heat, sitting in a rocking chair with a bunch of people talking and I blurt out, "What"? Then everyone stops talking and someone turns and looks at me and talks louder and slower and then I go, "Ohh!"

I doubt it will be about TWI. But about cults in general, yeah. The directors fancy it'll be this: "a provocative take on a controversial, dangerous and thrilling world."

Which tells me that whatever it is will be sensationalised, and will completely miss the slow erosion of "self" and personal boundaries, and their replacement by group norms.

It's that word "thrilling" that sets my teeth. Scary...neurotic...isolationist...all of these. Even exciting, at times. But thrilling? :confused:/>/>

The early followers of The Way were known for their generosity and openhandedness, and care for one another. That's not very "cultic" or dramatic.

You could make good drama out of looking at the cult "experience." But drama is all it'll be.

Ditto.

I found it very interesting that The Way International was talked about in the article that Belle posted. So the person that is behind the program has done some research. That's what makes me think that maybe someone has made their story known, or someone has some first hand knowledge of being in TWI and has based this show on those experiences. Just a thought......be interesting to see what this is about.

"That's what makes me think that maybe someone has made their story known".

Hi everyone,

You can be sure of this -- I'm not involved in this show. I have my own story to get published.

Hi Broken Arrow,

If you click the link in penworks' tag line (her real name), it will take you to her website where you can subscribe for updates on her book and blog.

Thanks, Rocky. Yes, I'm at www.charleneedge.com. My memoir is finished (hello John Linder, etc.) and you can sign in to receive updates which I'll post once or twice a month.

Cheers,

Charlene L. Edge

former Second Way Corps member