GreaseSpot Cafe

The Latest Garbage From TLTF

That quote from the newsletter is more than sad. I knew the author of it long ago at ECU. Seeds of this thinking were planted then. I dare say they were fed and watered by VPW himself. Without the VPW influence, I wonder where JAL would be today? Sad, really sad ...

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2015 at 9:11 PM, Tzaia said:

I don't want to be the one to point out the obvious, but when an entity calls itself is named The Living Truth fellowship, there is a suggestion that whoever thought up that name believes they are in possession of THE truth, which then assumes that others are not. Some of us think that's arrogant. I suggested to JAL that naming the fellowship that was arrogant. When you start out there, it's pretty hard not to at least be perceived as confrontational. Anyway, some of us have worked through all of this and we find the whole JAL doing the same thing...again...humorous...or sad...or whatever.

I've known JAL for over 30 years; I know knew his parents; his child; his siblings; his wives. I worked with him, ate with him, and "fellowshipped" with him. He is a magnet for the weird. Momentus, personal prophecy, every crazy foot a.s.s thing that came along. He disdained the relative normal of his [privileged, Presbyterian] upbringing in favor of the crazy presented by VPW and then Graeser, Schoenheit, and lastly Gallagher. Ralph was one of a list of people who tried to knock some sense into Schoeinheit and especially JAL regarding the Graesers. When I asked what was up with Ralph and Sue and Robert, it was a dismissal of all of them being "deceived".

Not a one of them JAL, et al, have even considered that they just might be prone to being deceived and Ralph (et al) were just early observers of the beginnings of crazy part II and got out.

When we parted ways I felt nothing but relief as I had come to see that CES/STFI was nothing but a hotbed of ugliness wrapped up in the warm fuzziness of fake "Christian love". I had been in and out of the office since 1993, but for around 2 months I worked in the home office one day a week which happened to be during all the personal prophecy business. That's when I discovered personal prophecy was used to make relationship and business decisions - one of which resulted in JAL's second divorce and several business decisions that were - for want of a better word - stupid. I learned they were serious about this personal prophecy thing just as they were serious about Momentus - you know - the "Christian" retreat that came complete with a 4 page "hold harmless" agreement that JAL convinced about 800 of his closest friends was the fast track to spiritual nirvana. It was this continual attraction to the outlandish and the inevitable drama that finally got my attention and when I tried (probably as Ralph did) to have a rational conversation about the direction they were going and was met with exasperation that I would even question their infinite wisdom...well it was time to make my exit.

I talked to Ralph and he confirmed what I had figured out. People left because it was just a continuation of the old thinking with a few tweaks. If that's what you want - fine. It's not for me.

T, wow I am so happy that I never got involved with CES.  It sounds like a lot of S--t to me.

On 10/23/2015 at 2:06 PM, Raf said:

Clash of the Titans.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I once admired both these men for the same reasons (JALvis and DWBH), and seeing them interact this way is fascinating. I pass judgment on neither, on DWBH because there is none to pass, or on JALvis because my opinion is both irrelevant and altered by my newfound, profound worldview disagreement.

Fascinating discussion and thread.

Raf, you are so right!!  DWBH is always interesting to read; JAL used to be a great Limb Leader in NY decades ago.  How two intelligent men can see things so differently, is indeed fascinating.