GreaseSpot Cafe

10 Tips for recovering from TWI, according to John Juedes

Rocky

Indeed, there is, Waysider. Now that I know about it, I'm going to point several people to it and hope they get the understanding they need.

Thanks, Rocky.

I agree, the traffic noise was incredibly obnoxious. But I am very thankful he recorded the video.

I love that he directly addresses waybrain.

Rocky,

I agree that the "do surgery on Waybrain" section was helpful. Specific insider language helped created Wayworld. Identifying how VPW redefined words and concepts to suit his goals was a huge part of my recovery. Examples include "legal." That did not mean what it normally means in society: i.e. abiding by the law of the land. In Wayworld, it meant the law of the Old Testament. So because VPW touted we were "free in Christ," so anyone who abided by the 10 commandments, for instance, was "legal" or "legalistic." Further, they were "living according to the wrong administration." since VPW said we were living in the "grace administration." These divisions are one way that bible teachers use to account for what most readers see as contradictions in the Bible.

VPW got that "administration" theory (also called dispensationalism) from a bunch of others like Bullinger and John Nelson Darby , an Anglo-Irish Bible teacher from the 1800s.

I digress ... I think John Juedes is amazing in that he's stuck with analyzing The Way for so long and has provided so much helpful info to so many of us. I have thanked him for that. Hope ya'll have, too.

What I would caution people about, however, is that he believes people leaving TWI should seek a Christian avenue for fellowship etc. That may be helpful and appropriate for some, but not all.

That path is not necessarily the best for every single person who leaves TWI. Just sayin'.

Cheers!

Penworks

• Upvote 1

Rocky,

I agree that the "do surgery on Waybrain" section was helpful. Specific insider language helped created Wayworld. Identifying how VPW redefined words and concepts to suit his goals was a huge part of my recovery. Examples include "legal." That did not mean what it normally means in society: i.e. abiding by the law of the land. In Wayworld, it meant the law of the Old Testament. So because VPW touted we were "free in Christ," so anyone who abided by the 10 commandments, for instance, was "legal" or "legalistic." Further, they were "living according to the wrong administration." since VPW said we were living in the "grace administration." These divisions are one way that bible teachers use to account for what most readers see as contradictions in the Bible.

VPW got that "administration" theory (also called dispensationalism) from a bunch of others like Bullinger and John Nelson Darby , an Anglo-Irish Bible teacher from the 1800s.

I digress ... I think John Juedes is amazing in that he's stuck with analyzing The Way for so long and has provided so much helpful info to so many of us. I have thanked him for that. Hope ya'll have, too.

What I would caution people about, however, is that he believes people leaving TWI should seek a Christian avenue for fellowship etc. That may be helpful and appropriate for some, but not all.

That path is not necessarily the best for every single person who leaves TWI. Just sayin'.

Cheers!

Penworks

I agree completely. In the 1990s, I was involved with a church fellowship. For a while, it was helpful. I had a close relationship with one of the pastors and shared with him my twi background. He had known other former wayfers in Wyoming.

Eventually, I grew out of that situation also. I don't feel the need these days for being involved in a Christian fellowship. I recognize Juedes' bias in that regard and put it in the same perspective that you described.

<3

Rocky, thanks for posting the video. Hey, no problem with the background noise. It was good to watch/listen as it was pretty in-sinc with issues we have overcome, thus, it affirmed much of what we experienced in that process. In my case, it's about 40 years too late, yet, all that crap that still sits in my head can use some more healing. The video helped because it was not about anger, that crap burns you up, the video provided a calmness. Again Rocky, thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

John Juedes published a number of pamphlets about TWI over the years, some with Douglas V. Morton. In about 2007, I ordered a packet of these booklets, one of which is called "From Vesper Chimes" to "The Way International: The Founder, History, and Activities of The Way Ministry," by Juedes and Morton. They did amazing research and documented it well.

This address may be old, but there it is from the inside cover. Maybe you can still get this booklet if you want to:

C.A.R.I.S.

P.O. Box 1659

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

12 hours ago, penworks said:

Hi everyone,

John Juedes published a number of pamphlets about TWI over the years, some with Douglas V. Morton. In about 2007, I ordered a packet of these booklets, one of which is called "From Vesper Chimes" to "The Way International: The Founder, History, and Activities of The Way Ministry," by Juedes and Morton. They did amazing research and documented it well.

This address may be old, but there it is from the inside cover. Maybe you can still get this booklet if you want to:

C.A.R.I.S.

P.O. Box 1659

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

Here's a link to the pamphlet to read online.  

http://empirenet.com/~messiah7/rsr_vcchap1-2.htm