GreaseSpot Cafe

Social Pressures in Twi

skyrider

On 2/29/2016 at 2:39 PM, krys said:

I was in about a year longer than George! I left in '98 I think...so it was not quite 20 years. There weren't many times that I succumbed to pressures, but there were a few over the years. Once was a ROA (or 2 where I wanted to go as a family - otherwise me and the kids went) and the other was for the 40th Anniversary weekend. I wanted to go to that anyway...but hubby didn't. We compromised and twi got their way [smirk]

Several years later, I was taking a night class. It was summer nights so it was Mon-Thurs.and that meant that I didn't go to twigs during the week. Since I was fairhful with other things (in the main) they didn't yell too much about that because they knew it was important for my job. However....the twig coo'd husband's birthday fell on a tiwg nite and that same night was the final exam. I got pounded about that one. Everything from take a makeup...get the prof to reschedule the exam (right!) I held my ground and some folks gave me a cool reception but you have to do what you have to do.

Most of the time, as a wife, mother, housewife and full time teacher, when there were conflicts, I didn't run into too many difficulties as many of the women my age had similar activities. I even let our daughter do brownies and from time to time I was a "brownie mother" too...or Band mother....or baseball mother.

At that time, in our area, we had really good leadership IMHO and we covered for one another if necessary and we cooperated a lot. But there were times when I was molded by individuals, and maybe even pressures to be a "good do-be". It was nothing like how things became in later years. I felt enough pressures as a mature 50+ year old woman who had been around a while, to leave because it was so uncomfortable. I can't imagine how those who came after me stood it.

Krys, interesting post!  I think a lot of people tried to tell others how to run their lives; I hated that!  I know as a woman, I was expected to get married, and have kids. Nuts!  I got my degree, and than joined the Navy. I wanted to travel, and do something with my life.  So many people in TWI wanted to know when I planned on getting married; the answer was/is " when the right man comes along. "  I felt a lot of pressure to get married; many women married the first man who asked them.  I am so happy that I didn't do that; I may never get married.  But, I am fine with that.  I am happy being single; life is good!

On 2/29/2016 at 5:26 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Krys's note reminds me that there were other pressures from TWI.

I owned my home, free and clear, but I lived about 40 miles from Twig (and five miles from work). Leadership wanted me to sell my house and move closer to Twig. Didn't happen. :)/>

And then the Twig leader moved to the complete other side of Houston. For his job. :rolleyes:

George

George, good for you!!  I probably would have done the same as you.