GreaseSpot Cafe

Should Christians Vote

What a deep thought. That was cool how Yahweh put his power upon them back in them days, the sign nation. Suffering circumstances is how God helps us grow today, but to be part of suffering circumstances, this could be another reason Christians shouldn't vote?

I'm not sure where "suffering" came from in this discussion. My understanding is that from TWI's viewpoint "suffering" would be un-Biblical.

Maybe you mean something broader, but I don't want to speculate.

I'm not sure where "suffering" came from in this discussion. My understanding is that from TWI's viewpoint "suffering" would be un-Biblical.

Maybe you mean something broader, but I don't want to speculate.

Most of Paul’s pain and suffering came from making the right decisions.

Religion is filled with lots of people who would rather beg God to fix their suffering circumstances, rather than to thank God for his enabling grace that is sufficient for every suffering saint, that energizing power. Paul’s great desire was to know Christ in his resurrection power, because that same power that raised Christ from among the dead was operating or energizing in Paul and it’s energizing in us.

Emotion can lead us down the path, and will oftentimes, most likely lead us down the wrong path, when emotion becomes the governor of our intellect, rather than the doctrinally governed intellect becoming the ruler of our emotions, emotion should never be the fuel, we should never be emotionally driven, but doctrinally driven. 

Each of us struggles with an inner sense of right and wrong, and the difficulty we face in doing the right thing, in light of the inclination that all of us had to do that which we deemed to be wrong. We cannot say that only believers struggle with the moral choice of good and bad, because disobeying our conscience is coming short, in our mind, as to what we know to be the right thing to do, that’s the moral choice of good and bad working in opposition to the conscience to have a person go in a direction contrary to that inner sense of right and wrong, that’s common to all humankind.

Emotion can lead us down the path, and will oftentimes, most likely lead us down the wrong path, when emotion becomes the governor of our intellect, rather than the doctrinally governed intellect becoming the ruler of our emotions, emotion should never be the fuel, we should never be emotionally driven, but doctrinally driven. 

There's a WHOLE LOT of malarkey in teach's last comment... but the quote I included above takes the cake.

That "logic" (it's not really logic, it's more like irrational rationale) is complete nonsense.

People almost always make decisions based on emotion, especially major life decisions.

Can you imagine, in our culture, deciding on whom to marry based on "doctrinally governed intellect?" Whatever the hell that is...

There's a WHOLE LOT of malarkey in teach's last comment... but the quote I included above takes the cake.

That "logic" (it's not really logic, it's more like irrational rationale) is complete nonsense.

People almost always make decisions based on emotion, especially major life decisions.

Can you imagine, in our culture, deciding on whom to marry based on "doctrinally governed intellect?" Whatever the hell that is...

One serving of self, leads to another serving of self. Words spoken in haste, lead to other words spoken in haste. Harmful words to further harmful words. We serve the moral choice of good and bad rather than our Savior, as we serve self, rather than the Body of saints to whom we are as equally and intimately joined, as we are joined to our Savior.

Apart from trusting Jesus Christ as Savior, human righteousness comes from self-interest-motivation, it is self-glorifying, and while it may be of earthly benefit, that will not cut it when it comes to meeting the demands of God’s perfect justice.

Edited by teachmevp

1913? The year my father was born. Are you referring to the establishment of the federal income tax and the IRS, teach?

That is when the USA was sold down the river, the Federal Reserve started printing our money. The income tax money pays for the debt that the USA owes the Federal Reserve for printing our money.

Most of Paul’s pain and suffering came from making the right decisions.

Religion is filled with lots of people who would rather beg God to fix their suffering circumstances, rather than to thank God for his enabling grace that is sufficient for every suffering saint, that energizing power. Paul’s great desire was to know Christ in his resurrection power, because that same power that raised Christ from among the dead was operating or energizing in Paul and it’s energizing in us.

Each of us struggles with an inner sense of right and wrong, and the difficulty we face in doing the right thing, in light of the inclination that all of us had to do that which we deemed to be wrong. We cannot say that only believers struggle with the moral choice of good and bad, because disobeying our conscience is coming short, in our mind, as to what we know to be the right thing to do, that’s the moral choice of good and bad working in opposition to the conscience to have a person go in a direction contrary to that inner sense of right and wrong, that’s common to all humankind.

I do enjoy when a topic detours into a more interesting, unforeseen topic. But there is just too much here, I'd need you to narrow down what you want to discuss.

I was going to post a few links. Coming from TWI where emotion is to be ignored folks have the "plastic cult face", there are interesting topics to discuss i.e. Does morality come from reason or emotion? What purpose do emotions serve and how should we respond to them?

And yes, I can imagine getting married based on "doctrinally governed intellect" . . .bleh . . .

I do enjoy when a topic detours into a more interesting, unforeseen topic. But there is just too much here, I'd need you to narrow down what you want to discuss.

I was going to post a few links. Coming from TWI where emotion is to be ignored folks have the "plastic cult face", there are interesting topics to discuss i.e. Does morality come from reason or emotion? What purpose do emotions serve and how should we respond to them?

And yes, I can imagine getting married based on "doctrinally governed intellect" . . .bleh . . .

It is also interesting about this armor can play a part in casting ones vote. The two dangerous edges of the enemies broadsword are discouragement and doubt. With the helmet of salvation firmly on, we see ourselves for who we really are, and when our faith in God’s omnipotence and care is strong, it is impossible for the enemy to break through our shield of faith and land an attack.

It is also interesting about this armor can play a part in casting ones vote. The two dangerous edges of the enemies broadsword are discouragement and doubt. With the helmet of salvation firmly on, we see ourselves for who we really are, and when our faith in God’s omnipotence and care is strong, it is impossible for the enemy to break through our shield of faith and land an attack.

What does any of this even mean?

(In plain English, please.)

What does any of this even mean?

(In plain English, please.)

Our enemies are actively involved in trying to distract us by peppering our mind with their thoughts and ideas. 
They are always hurling their fiery darts of fear, doubt, and worry in our direction, but the only time they can hit us is when we let our shield of faith down. A shield deflects, it keeps the darts of the enemy away from our mind, the shield moves with the attack.

It used to bother me that I couldn't figure out the meaning of

song. Not anymore. Nope.

I think about this sometimes when I'm sitting in the station. When casting our vote, that It is absolutely vital that we put on the breastplate of righteousness, so that we can resist the persistent accusation of the enemy, they never give up trying to get us down and keep us down by hurling one false accusation after another.

Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of what this thread is supposed to be about. The only clear thing is that we're in doctrinal territory, but that's being extremely generous. "The" had more substance than this.

It used to bother me that I couldn't figure out the meaning of

song. Not anymore. Nope.

..... When casting our vote, that It is absolutely vital that we put on the breastplate of righteousness, so that we can resist the persistent accusation of the enemy, they never give up trying to get us down and keep us down by hurling one false accusation after another.

Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of what this thread is supposed to be about......

i think it's about one of the candidates - they're on the verge of a meltdown over the mudslinging....and then the media is going to have a field day when they find out the candidate listens to psychedelic rock......and is a Grease Spotter!!!!