GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot Fundraiser 2016

modcat5

Paw / Raf thanks for your hard work - you are providing a much needed service for an amazing group of folks....in case you need any help setting up the server i use to be pretty handy with Dos 5.0 around the time of TransChat or was it waydale.....anyway whenever Tonto wasn't scouting out the real scoop on TWI with our mail-order Zeos computer i was trying to hack into dos-shell.

Is it required to use PayPal? I don't use pay pal. I attempted twice with my visa and once again with my debit card but all three times failed.

Is there an address that can be posted to send cash/check and if check, to whom made out to, otherwise, I don't have an issue just sending some green stuff.

Am I the only person having this issue?

Is it required to use PayPal? I don't use pay pal. I attempted twice with my visa and once again with my debit card but all three times failed.

Is there an address that can be posted to send cash/check and if check, to whom made out to, otherwise, I don't have an issue just sending some green stuff.

Am I the only person having this issue?

That's the same problem I had. Except, in my case, I already had a PayPal account. I just didn't think to submit it that way. When I did, it was successful. I've used GoFundMe to donate to other causes without any problems. Maybe that's one of the things that will be fixed with the forthcoming updates.

Thanks from me, as well.

"Hot spot" at the GSC

Wow ! i've always wondered what it looks like behind the scenes - great to see the Grease Spot forums in action; i see the shout-box up top, then below that about the way, then open...... TV show mash up down below, a moderator on the left in the foreground and the lurker on the right appears withdrawn and introspective.

I'm told we've broken the $1,000 threshold. $500 to go!

I'm also told we may have to set the goal a little bit higher, but I don't know why and I don't have numbers to share at the moment. As soon as I do, you'll know it. But keep those donations coming!

Everything seemed to go fine, until after I had entered all my information and clicked "Pay" (or "Submit" or whatever), I was offered the "opportunity" to get a PayPal account, which I graciously declined. Apparently, the PayPal god would not be denied, however; and I kept getting the same screen, asking me to "complete" the information required to set up an account. I eventually just left the site. I have no idea if the donation actually went through. I suppose that I'll get a confirmation e-mail, if it did.

I've used PayPal as a guest before, without ever having this problem.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

The needle has not moved. We're going to keep the phone lines open in the hopes that enough of you who have benefited from GSC can come forward to reach our goal. We are roughly $500 short (the reason it's "roughly" has to do with fees, so if we actually hit $1,500, we'll be a little short, but it sure beats not hitting $1,500).

We have 19 days left in our fundraiser. The paypal donate button is on the home page of GSC. Let's finish this!

Ok folks, home stretch time.

I'm asking those who love and respect the work of Pawtucket and the community at Greasespot Cafe to contribute $400 over the next two weeks. The actual need is a little higher than that, but you've done a great job so far in responding to our plea for help, and I want you to know how very much it is appreciated.

As it stands, GSC has been transferred to a new server (we're still on the old server during a transition time, but the work of transferring to a new server is complete). The next step is a software upgrade that should eliminate the occasional breakdowns we've endured over the past couple of years. And then there's the monthly maintenance fee on the server (plus some other, relatively minor expenses).

What does this mean? In practical terms, when I originally asked for $2,500, it was way too much in terms of what Paw spends per year on this place. When I revised it downward to $1,500, it was a bit too little. So far you have contributed $1,100, so we're still $400 short of our revised goal, and anything that comes in over that will be appreciated (anything substantially over that will be applied to later upkeep of the site, so it all goes to the same effort. It just means next year we ask for $1,000 instead of $1,200, for example).

Every little bit helps. We deeply appreciate those who have given so far, and encourage those who have not to please consider supporting this site.

Regards,

Raf

• Upvote 1

We're going to suspend the fundraiser for the time being. We didn't reach our goal, but we're good for the time being and we'll hopefully be able to resume at a later date.

Many thanks to those who chipped in and showed your appreciation and support for GSC. I can tell you that Paw was really grateful, and I am too.

• 2 months later...

The upgrade has been slow to implement. I finally have moved the site to the new server.

Today I am upgrading the forum software. So please save any posts that you have made since midnight. And if you post today, copy that also. I took a copy of the site around midnight eastern time.

The document part of the site is problematic. I will work on that after the forums.

I apologize for the delay, transferring a web server is not something that I have done before.

Since I haven't upgraded the software in a number of year, it is more difficult.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again for all the generous support!

• 5 weeks later...

As you can tell, the forums are updated thanks to the tireless work by greasytech. 

We ran into more than a few problems, but he got it all solved! 

For the time being, the document section is unavailable. The software doesn't work as it is outdated. 

That will be the next project. I don't have an ETA. But will keep you updated. 

• Upvote 1