GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Matthew

Raf

Been a while since I've done this. My moderator handle, modcat5, is a play on my long-ago habit of posting hurricane information as storms approached South Florida. Not a lot of people know this, but Hurricane Katrina hit us before it hit New Orleans. Of course, it was just a cat1 when it swept by here.

Anyway, the Cone of Matthew is upon us. And it looks like this is the "Oh boy, here we go" storm we've been waiting for.

So, to revive my old habit, here it goes:

IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!!

at201614.gif

at201614_5day.gif

Edited by Raf

2 p.m. Tuesday: The track has the storm to our east, with what looks like a possible Georgia or South Carolina landfall sometime Friday. For my neck of the woods, we're expecting tropical storm conditions Thursday (which sounds SO much more pleasant than it is. A tropical storm is like a baby elephant. You don't want one in your living room, but you'll take it over a full grown elephant.

Next update at 5 p.m. The image in the original post should update automatically.

I'm wrong, based on an incomplete forecast track. It looks like it gets close to the coast and then veers east again, which sucks because it's going to smack the coastline for a while instead of making landfall in one spot and dissipating inland. Brace yourselves, east coasters. It's gonna be a long weekend.

What really sucks about this storm is how slowly it's been moving. It's just crawling up the projected cone, which means no matter how strong it is (and it is strong), its effects will be harsh solely by virtue of how long it will be hanging around.

For those of you not on the eastern seaboard, I humbly request donations to coastal chapters of the American Red Cross. They're going to need it. Make sure you mark your donations "Hurricane Matthew Relief." This will REQUIRE the charities you choose to earmark your donations for this specific cause.

My home is a few miles inland, so I'm not terribly worried. Shutters are up, pets can be corralled easily, water and food stocked up, vehicles gassed. So we should be fine.

• Upvote 1

RAF.....latest forecast from 5pm today showed Matt hitting the Space Coast(eye over Melbourne), and then up the coast to GA where it makes a freaking U-turn and bangs around the Bahamas and maybe north central Cuba as a cat1. It could amp up after that again they say and circle back around, but most models have it pooping out in the Caribbean. Looks like it's gonna be a wicked blow. Hang tough all you Floridians. BTW......Rick Scott sucks the big boogewiener!

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy
Spelling correction

So we're fortunate in South Florida to have been spared the brunt of the storm. Matthew will continue to hug the coastline until Saturday, when it will make a sharp right (east) off the coast of South Carolina. Then, on Sunday afternoon or evening, it heads south and east. By late Tuesday, it may be knocking on our door again.

That's the bad news for us (in South Florida and the Bahamas). The good news for us is that by the time it comes back to us, Matthew will be severely weakened. It may come back to us as a tropical depression, which is usually not enough to give a storm a name (they don't get named until they're at Tropical Storm strength.

Meanwhile, at work...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-matthew-possible-loop-20161006-story.html