GreaseSpot Cafe

Undertow - Escaping from the Fundamentalism and Cult Control of The Way International

penworks

8 hours ago, Twinky said:

Much as I'd like to read Undertow, it's only available in the UK with extortionate postage costs, presumably from USA.  I don't know how much those claimed costs relate to actual postage costs.

https://www.amazon.com/Undertow-Escape-Fundamentalism-Control-International-ebook/dp/B06ZY8HVKS/

22 hours ago, Rocky said:

btw, I read books I buy from Amazon using the Kindle app for PC... most of the time.

I want a real book.  Not very interested in more screen time.

FYI, right now there's one used copy at Thriftbooks. But maybe postage is very high for overseas shipping.

Twinky, have you checked online used bookstores in the U.K.? I know that there were/are folks over there who've bought copies of Undertow

BTW, all 7 free copies are spoken for now. Thanks those of you here who requested one! 

Just a note to say thank you, Greasespotters, for your support of Undertow over the years. It's out there doing a good job waking people up to the problems with high-control groups. 

To celebrate YOU, I thought I'd re-publish part of a post I wrote back in 2016 on my website. This came out before Undertow was published.

Cheers!

Good People I Met At The Way

Greetings, subscribers and other readers who stumble across this website. By now, you have probably noticed I have a book in the making. It’s my very personal story of seventeen years in The Way International, a biblical research, teaching, and fellowship ministry that became one of the largest fundamentalist cults in America in its heyday of the 80s. I met many good people at The Way and you’ll meet some of them in my book soon.

Ever since I launched this website in March 2015, I’ve written many posts about cults and fundamentalism. Today, I just want to make some points clear for those of you who have never come in contact with any Way people before.

Good people in The Way

First, not all Way followers treated outsiders or insiders badly, at least while I was in the group. Most people who left, however, were considered influenced by the Devil. Not all Way people tricked recruits into joining just to get their money, either. Most of us really believed The Way had the methods of getting the right interpretation of the Bible (termed “the accuracy of the Word”) and offered great fellowship with loving believers, so we genuinely recruited others from a good place in our hearts. The most loyal of us believed we followed “the man of God for our day and time,” Victor Paul Wierwille. He died in 1985.

Most Way folks had good intentions about helping people, many desired to serve God in every way, and others sought a godly cause to live for. However, I now consider even the most sincere of Way followers (then and now) as misguided, deceived, and in some cases … gulp … brainwashed. Myself included. Thankfully, with help from many folks, I’ve learned to sort the good from the bad over the years, and am still doing it. My book, Undertow, tells a lot of my story. But the sorting and learning will never be over, even after Undertow is published, which will be soon after the elections next week.

In my book, Undertow, you will meet many good people I knew at The Way. Some who have left are still my friends.

Believe me, I’m more than grateful for this chance to tell my story (many others cannot or will not or just don’t know how to do it). I’m also unimaginably thankful I chose to publish it myself (that’s another story!) with the help of talented experts.

Question: What is one major problem that caused me to leave The Way and that persists to this day, since The Way is still around?

Here’s my answer: The Way insists that the only way to know God, at least their notion of who or what God is, is through knowledge of the Bible. Therefore, the more Bible knowledge you have, the better you know God.

Problems with that answer involve issues like, what are we really referring to when we say the word God? Which version of the Bible are you talking about? What do we know about the material in the Bible and who wrote it? Isn’t the Bible written by and for people who lived long ago? Is the Bible true? What is truth? Does the Bible really have to be “perfect?” like Victor Paul Wierwille, founder of The Way, said? What parts of the Bible are still good-to-go, if you’ll pardon the expression?

I do not know the answers to all of those questions, but I think they are worth asking. They were part of my journey out of The Way. Undertow not only tells my personal story, it sheds some light on those issues, especially in the last part of the book.

END

The above content is from this post: Good People I Met At The Way | Charlene L. Edge (charleneedge.com)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year, Greasespotters!

Just letting you know I've republished some posts on the "cult" topic over on Blogspot. 

Charlene Lamy Edge Speaks about The Way International (charleneedge.blogspot.com)

Cheers,

Charlene

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, penworks said:

Happy New Year, Greasespotters!

Just letting you know I've republished some posts on the "cult" topic over on Blogspot. 

Charlene Lamy Edge Speaks about The Way International (charleneedge.blogspot.com)

Cheers,

Charlene

Thx Charlene and Happy New Year!

Was wondering if you can answer a question from your research.   What do former fundamentalists believe religiously after they are rescued from their cult?    Is there a recurring theme or pattern?     I am now studying Catholicism but I don't suppose it's a typical alternative.  Thx.

It varies according to people's interests, and other things like emotional and mental health, as far as I know.

I can only really speak about my own journey. Here's a bit about my post-cult experience:

https://charleneedge.com/charlenes-post-cult-nonreligious-alternative/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Greasespotters!

Breaking news: Besides my own website, I have a second home where I speak about The Way International. Where is it? On Blogspot.

A Blogspot Valentine

If sharing = love, then I consider my effort to share what I know about The Way as a loving gift. And since it's Valentine's Day today, consider this as one big heart-shaped offering.

Keep reading for instructions on how to find my articles on Blogspot. But first: on my Blogspot account, you'll also find links to two travel blogs about trips my husband, Hoyt, and I took together: one to Turkey and the other to the Amazon in Peru.

Why Blogspot?

Before I had my own website and wrote blog posts like this one to send subscribers, I used Blogspot for those two travel stories. They are still there for anyone to read.

Blogspot is easy-to-use, and it's free. But Google owns it, so there's that. Anyway, a couple of months ago, I decided to republished some of my content about cults, fundamentalism, and The Way International over on Blogspot hoping to reach more readers. There are many, many, many people who have left The Way and many others who have left some offshoots of The Way. Those folks and others are seeking information to shed light on their experiences and get some history of The Way.

Because I was part of The Way for 17 years: a member of The Way Corps leadership and a Biblical researcher trained by the founding president of The Way, Victor Paul Wierwille, I offer insights on that group and on organizations derived from it.

Finding Charlene's posts about The Way International on Blogspot

Click this link:

After you click the above link, this is what you should see:

CLE-blogspot-300x169.png

Scroll down that page to find more posts. These posts are in chronological order going backwards. The first one is "Speaking of Way Stories," dated December 9, 2023.

Finding the travel stories

On the left side of the page that's in this photo, you would click my name, which is in black letters at the top underneath the circular photo. Doing that takes you to my account page. You'll see links to the travel posts there.

NOTE: Unfortunately, the photos of the Turkey trip did not transfer when Blogspot updated their system. However, the photos of the Amazon trip are all there!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for reading!

Charlene

Edited by penworks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Greasespotters. Just letting you know that another significant review of Undertow was just published by the International Cultic Studies Association, Inc. 

By permission, I've republished it here:

Book Review of "Undertow," Published by ICSA, Written by Bart Stewart (charleneedge.blogspot.com)

Remember, no author vets reviewers. ICSA put out the word about Undertow and this reviewer chose it. Their review is their response to the book, their opinions, their interpretations. Also, keep in mind this reviewer used other sources about The Way besides Undertow in his review.

Enjoy!

Charlene Edge

Edited by penworks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, penworks said:

Hello, Greasespotters. Just letting you know that another significant review of Undertow was just published by the International Cultic Studies Association, Inc. 

Book Review of "Undertow," Published by ICSA, Written by Bart Stewart (charleneedge.blogspot.com)

Remember, no author vets reviewers. ICSA put out the word about Undertow and this reviewer chose it. Their review is their response to the book, their opinions, their interpretations. Also, keep in mind this reviewer used other sources about The Way besides Undertow in his review.

Enjoy!

Charlene Edge

I will read that review shortly. However, at the public library in my new home town, I attended my first meeting of a local writers' group. I was given a couple of minutes to introduce myself. I mentioned my intent to write a memoir, noting my interest in politics and my 12 years in a particular Christian fundamentalist cult. I was quickly asked if I was at liberty to say which cult. 

Of course I am and gladly cited The Way International. Of the dozen or so other attendees, at least three or four indicated awareness of TWI as a cult.

Btw, the young airman who self-immolated on Sunday, WaPo noted, had been involved as a child in a "high-demand" religious sect. I cited WaPo in this comment on the cults s3 thread. In case the link I posted in that comment wasn't a gift article link, this one IS.

4 hours ago, penworks said:

Enjoy!

Charlene Edge

Very detailed review. I recommend it wholeheartedly. The following clip saliently describes Mr Stewart's conclusion that "his is a book that anyone interested in evangelicalism, Pentecostalism, or aberrant fundamentalist Christianity should read. Maybe everybody should."

By 1976 Doctor Wierwille was getting rich—and paranoid. He fretted about a communist takeover of the United States and instituted survivalist prepper procedures throughout The Way. He also became virulently antisemitic and a Holocaust denier.

That paragraph well sums up and crystalizes much of the reason for the abuses of power inherent in many first person records posted on GSC. 

3 hours ago, waysider said:

I'm not sure if  he really believed this or was pandering to his fan base. We'll never know for sure.

THIS was a review of Undertow, Charlene's memoir.

From her perspective, she apparently believed he believed it.

10 hours ago, penworks said:

Enjoy!

Charlene Edge

That’s a nice review.  Mr Stewart writes well himself.  Congratulations!

"Following Wierwille’s sudden death in 1985, a series of revelations came out about him, which became a cascade of scandals. Not everyone believed it all, but Charlene did, having been earlier disabused of notions of his infallibility by a serious textual error he had made."

Out of curiosity, which serious textual error was that?  We've discussed many over the decades, I'm curious if this one's new to me.

Posted (edited)

I don't know which error that Bart Stewart, the reviewer, referred to in Undertow. It may have been the military/athletic stuff in Ephesians, which I describe in the book, or it may have been the Eli Eli issue, also in my book. Whatever it is, it would be in the book, since all the reviewer is referring to is content in the book.

Edited by penworks

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Today I again spoke with a religion class at Rollins College. Students were assigned to read Undertow and we discussed it.  Attached is a handout I gave them to help them understand cults.

Feel free to pass it along to others.

Cheers,

Charlene

Cult info flyer-student version_r1.pdf

Edited by penworks

13 hours ago, penworks said:

Today I again spoke with a religion class at Rollins College. Students were assigned to read Undertow and we discussed it.  Attached is a handout I gave them to help them understand cults.

Feel free to pass it along to others.

Cheers,

Charlene

Cult info flyer-student version_r1.pdf 185.68 kB · 4 downloads

Thx for sharing Charlene.   Even with all the fond memories of mine.