GreaseSpot Cafe

Pro's and con's of Cremation vs. Burial

TLC

Simply put, this is not a subject that I have given a great deal of time or thought to.  However, it is one that does comes up from time to time, especially as the years seem to passing by more quickly.  Frankly speaking, at this point I'm not all that convinced there is much of an answer (doctrinally speaking) from the Bible, appropriately addressed for our day and time.  Yes, I know what was taught in TWI.  But given the errors that were mixed into other things taught, perhaps this is one that others of you have already had a chance to "re-think" and would be willing to share your perspective on the matter.  (With or without the use or reference to scripture.)

From a very practical point of view, cremation appears to be a sensible solution (especially from the standpoint of costs.)
To be honest, I find myself hesitant to think or ever suggest anything otherwise.
Yet... I find myself wondering at times.  Does it really not make any difference whatsoever?

Aside from the rather obvious financial benefits, what do some of you think are the pro's or con's of cremation vs. the more traditional burial?

Yeah, but not just less. It's a lot less.  It's also much less complicated.  In other words, easier. Maybe some that have the money choose it just because is relatively quick and easy, and they don't want to invest the time, or effort, or emotions that a more traditional burial require.  Then again, maybe some that have the money choose burial just because it's held in higher esteem, and let's the rest of the world know that they do indeed have the money.  (Hey, the pyramids are classic examples of the extremes some went to.)  Lots of ways to look at this issue...

• Upvote 1

I have very little to say on the subject.  So, this will be quick.

I know there's a few Jews who make a point of being buried in a specific cemetery because they believe that The Resurrection will start there and this will save them some time. They also won't have themselves cremated because they need their bodies intact.

My thinking is that my body won't be intact at the time unless it happens when I'm alive or immediately after I die. So, there's no qualitative difference I see between being reconstituted from ashes vs being reconstituted from decomposed matter all in one spot.  So, I'm thinking cremation is far more sensible for me.

From a scientific perspective, how I'm buried seems to make no difference, and financially, it makes sense to use the cheapest method-which, again, is cremation.

That's all I've got.

I'm going to be cremated and made into gemstones. honestly it's been a dream of mine since the 70s, and the tech is here, so why not? I also had a dream of donating my remains to the body farm, because I thought that would be kind of cool, but my kids don't like the idea much.