GreaseSpot Cafe

About the words we use.

WordWolf

Thiese are some thoughts I have at the moment.  A few threads reminded me that it's good to point some things out from time to time. I think it's a good time to point these out. Naturally, any poster's free to ignore this post- it's my thoughts and not an official ANYTHING.

Ok, so the posters have come to a consensus that we don't really have to be polite towards each other. (I asked.)  However, even if they don't want to be, it helps to at least know when what they're saying is likely to hurt someone's feelings, so that it's entirely intentional if they do so.    That means thinking about the actual words we use. Most posters here don't post here with words that are considered racial epithets. They're aware which words will carry those meanings, and choose not to use them, for whatever reason they choose to refrain.  There's plenty of words that can hurt people.  Some are LIKELY to hurt people, and some are a stretch-but someone can choose to take offense at it anyway.   In the case of the latter, there's not terribly much we can do-since lists of THOSE words change a lot, so what's a normal, inoffensive word one day may suddenly be on someone's list 2 days later. 

There's actually some of those words GSC or twi-specific.   People never-been-way would view these words in a different fashion than people who have survived twi or its offshoots (Momentus jargon counts also), as well as words that have become common in being used to hurt ex-twi'ers.   One common technique here- especially common among those who wish to elevate vpw to divine status and cover up his felonies, sins and shortcomings-  has been to come up with excuses to DISMISS posts they don't like.  Inconvenient facts arrived?  Let's find a pretext to ignore the post, then we don't have to deal with the content.    I've attempted, as time has progressed, to be very calm when posting-returning later to reply to something to ensure I don't react instead of refuting.  So, it was obvious when one vpw fan responded to calm, reasoned posts from me by calling them "angry." Calm post after calm post were called "angry" or synonyms.  This allowed that person to even skip reading the post, and gave them an excuse to move along without addressing a single point. Other posters pointed out that this was just in their imagination- I prefer to look back and see what was in the previous post that was so good, they had to misdirect people from the content because they couldn't address it.  (This became useful to me in the long run.)   Another person (or the same person)  used a different approach.  I pointed out that vpw was either unaware of something when he made a certain decision, or he was aware of it- and outlined what was wrong in either case.  They replied by calling me "the devil."  If I'd known then what I learned later, I would have known the previous point was irrefutable, at least by them, and expanded upon it.   In my case, many of the words won't hurt- whereas for many other people they would, and that's why some people claim they've lurked.

Comments on posters exposing twi sometimes contain claims that they're "angry" or the equivalent.  That carries a lot of baggage here- in the context of the GSC, responding to the exposure of vpw's criminal or immoral practices by saying the exposer is "angry" or emotional rather than address their points, that strongly suggests the replier is a big fan of vpw and looking to whitewash his past of his rapes, his molestations, and all his other evil deeds rather than discuss them when they come up.

There's plenty of other words that can be used, each with twi baggage, ex-twi splinter baggage, or GSC-specific baggage.  I saw another example where someone wanted to silence a similar comment by invoking Momentus jargon.

It's certainly possible for someone to ACCIDENTALLY hit on these words and use them- in which case, they should be made aware they can set someone off-or several someones off- when they do.

That way, if they offend someone, they can do it intentionally rather than by accident.

• Upvote 1