GreaseSpot Cafe

ten years

potato

it occured to me tonight that as of a couple of months ago, I've been TWI-free for a decade, and then I wanted to come and tell you all.

me and my kids are alive, and better than we've ever been, but I'm sad to say the marks of the cult are still effecting us. I don't think it's possible to live through what we did without permanent scars... but I relish my freedom every day. I'm so happy that I've learned that I don't have to put up with bullying and gaslighting. I can just walk away now. it took years of therapy to get here, but here I am :)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, potato said:

it occured to me tonight that as of a couple of months ago, I've been TWI-free for a decade, and then I wanted to come and tell you all.

me and my kids are alive, and better than we've ever been, but I'm sad to say the marks of the cult are still effecting us. I don't think it's possible to live through what we did without permanent scars... but I relish my freedom every day. I'm so happy that I've learned that I don't have to put up with bullying and gaslighting. I can just walk away now. it took years of therapy to get here, but here I am :)

Potato, I hear you on all that! I’m glad you’re doing well.

Years ago I broke my left hand in a truck rollover accident. Therapy and time does help the healing process. I am right handed but now my left hand is the stronger of the two. My wife will hand me a jar to open and now I’ll use my left hand super-grip to do it. They say whatever doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Perhaps there’s something to that. I think it’s almost like a shock therapy to atrophied critical thinking “muscles” when we leave a cult and start living a normal life. Maybe that’s the “good” thing about mental scars in that they’re the toughest part of us or something like that…I am not as gullible as I used to be and definitely more thick-skinned around manipulative folks.

• Upvote 1