GreaseSpot Cafe

Is John Schoenheit legit?

Or is his nice personality on his videos just a show? I read somewhere on here that someone said they questioned his scholarly ability and his facial expression changed and he was really offended. So for those that know him or know some things about him is he the real deal as he portrays?  I enjoy his videos but if hes a fraud too then maybe I shouldn't watch his videos.  Heres his recent video which seems okay but he might not be really this nice in real life and putting on a show like wierwille. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdAJ-tMBLz4

Perhaps a more objective definition of "legit" would be helpful.

I have no doubt that Mr. Schoenheit is sincere and well meaning. But whether or not anyone should believe his teachings on the Bible is an entirely different matter.

Further, I don't think niceness matters.

All Bible teachers, and for that matter, all public speakers, put on a show. They have to get an audience's attention in order to sell their ideas.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Perhaps a more objective definition of "legit" would be helpful.

I have no doubt that Mr. Schoenheit is sincere and well meaning. But whether or not anyone should believe his teachings on the Bible is an entirely different matter.

Further, I don't think niceness matters.

All Bible teachers, and for that matter, all public speakers, put on a show. They have to get an audience's attention in order to sell their ideas.

By legit I meant just what you spoke about, as far as believing his teachings. I am at least happy to hear that you believe he is sincere but considering all the material i bought from stf I was hoping you would recommend his teachings. Anything particular about his teachings that you don't like or that I should be aware about? I read this http://www.christianeducational.org/25diffTWI.htm

Which talks about how stf differs from the way so he at least doesn't teach the law of believing;) Do you think john is still living the delusional "the way" mindset? and is in too deep to ever get out or is this not that serious as I think? I wish all well and I really don't know where to turn anymore for good biblical teaching. I didn't really see anything wrong with his teaching so if you could set the record straight for me in case I missed something or don't know something about stf that would be great. It seems that most here believe that it is best to steer clear of anything and anyone associated with the way. Which I'm learning more and more about. I just hope people don't like john's teachings because he was taught by wierwille instead of the fact that his teachings are unbiblical or incorrect.

You might find some things of interest in the doctrinal forum; here is a recent thread on STF’s REV (and feel to start other topics in doctrinal yourself)

STF's REV in doctrinal forum

There’s quite a variety of input here at Grease Spot – hearing other viewpoints is always helpful and may lead you down other avenues to study. Though I think you’ll find the most satisfaction and peace of mind on a particular subject by how much you work it out.

8 hours ago, ImLikeSoConfused said:

By legit I meant just what you spoke about, as far as believing his teachings. I am at least happy to hear that you believe he is sincere but considering all the material i bought from stf I was hoping you would recommend his teachings. Anything particular about his teachings that you don't like or that I should be aware about? I read this http://www.christianeducational.org/25diffTWI.htm

Which talks about how stf differs from the way so he at least doesn't teach the law of believing;) Do you think john is still living the delusional "the way" mindset? and is in too deep to ever get out or is this not that serious as I think? I wish all well and I really don't know where to turn anymore for good biblical teaching. I didn't really see anything wrong with his teaching so if you could set the record straight for me in case I missed something or don't know something about stf that would be great. It seems that most here believe that it is best to steer clear of anything and anyone associated with the way. Which I'm learning more and more about. I just hope people don't like john's teachings because he was taught by wierwille instead of the fact that his teachings are unbiblical or incorrect.

I appreciate the clarification of your request. I can't answer about whether John S "is still living the delusional "the way" mindset or whether he is in too deep to ever get out. I do think you pose serious and reasonable questions.

T-Bone gave a reasonable suggestion (about pursuing discussions in the Doctrinal forum). But even that will likely not be satisfying if you're searching for academically credible assessment of what John S teaches.

Stepping back and giving my two cents worth of advice, a lot of us (I count myself in that group) who spent years associating with TWI have no use for any of it.

I'm no longer convinced that seeking in-depth biblical knowledge/understanding can lead to the kind of relationship with God that young adults tend to crave.

There are too many con men and women in the world. Humans are all susceptible to being conned. For more understanding of that issue, I recommend Maria Konnikova's book on the subject.

I also recommend Thomas Paine's pamphlet/essay The Age of Reason.

There will be others who do not share my perspective on the subject who may be reasonable to consider.

Edited by Rocky

12 hours ago, ImLikeSoConfused said:

(snip)...Do you think john is still living the delusional "the way" mindset?...(snip)

Rocky recommended some good reading material – and I wanted to add something regarding your question

Do you think john is still living the delusional "the way" mindset? 

Referring back to the doctrinal thread STF’s REV that I recommended in my previous post, I would answer your question with a big YES! victor paul wierwille/TWI twisted the Bible to match their theology. If you have any biblical Greek reference tools to consult - you will find a distortion of scripture by STF in just the first chapter of John of their REV translation. It is one thing to formulate a systematic theology based on the plain statements of Bible texts but it is quite another thing – dishonest really – to translate a Bible text according to one’s theology even if it goes counter to the definitions, syntax, etc. of the biblical language of the text.

Perhaps it is a carryover of the TWI mindset why some folks are so enthralled with STF’s material. It has to do with learned helplessness. TWI had a knack for convincing folks they could not make sense of the Bible and life all on their own – but instead desperately needed TWI’s help. That’s why I suggested you get into doing your own “research” on another thread:

Is it ok to recommend wierwille's books?

Maybe something that goes along with learned helplessness is how a cult’s viewpoint becomes the most dominant thing in one’s life. I used to have this idea (in my former TWI mindset) that life revolved around my knowledge of the Bible (or more specifically, how life revolved around TWI’s interpretation of the Bible).

What about turning that around? Why not you (including wife and kids – if you are married and have kids) be at the center of your “world” and the Bible and other interests revolve around that? I’m into music and art. I also get into big reading projects. A few years ago I read quite a few books on JFK’s assassination. Now I’m into reading stuff on World War One. I’ve got that book Rocky mentioned on my Kindle and listed on my long reading list spreadsheet – the best way for me to manage the little bookworm inside me.  :rolleyes: Life is big and it's not just about books – so don’t let anyone put your mind in a stifling little box. Bottom line is you are free to chart your own course in life.

I wish you the best and may you be wise in what tools to use to navigate your journey.

love and peace

T-Bone

Edited by T-Bone
ran out of time
  • Upvote 1

Well I'll have to pray for john if hes still suffering from twi syndrome. You can tell he really believes what he says so its a shame if he really believes something incorrect. He seems like a really good guy but like rocky said its not just about niceness or goodness but correctness. I'd just like to ask you two above me if after getting out of the way and that mindset if your faith withered? If it did to what point does it remain? I know what you guys are saying about just smell the roses of life and not worry about the bible so much, I get that. I try to maintain a balance. But if God isn't the most important part of our life then whats the point right? Perhaps I never will find the absolute truth besides what I understand from the bible, and no teacher is the answer. Perhaps the pursuit isn't worth it anymore I don't know, I'm personally tired of looking for the answers. I thought I had found it with weirwilles stuff, then stfs stuff, but it was just an illusion. So I will have to go on in life without that security blanket of thinking I know the truth and just accept I know very little about the absolute truth. I guess I can do that. God bless.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ImLikeSoConfused said:

Well I'll have to pray for john if hes still suffering from twi syndrome. You can tell he really believes what he says so its a shame if he really believes something incorrect. He seems like a really good guy but like rocky said its not just about niceness or goodness but correctness. I'd just like to ask you two above me if after getting out of the way and that mindset if your faith withered? If it did to what point does it remain? I know what you guys are saying about just smell the roses of life and not worry about the bible so much, I get that. I try to maintain a balance. But if God isn't the most important part of our life then whats the point right? Perhaps I never will find the absolute truth besides what I understand from the bible, and no teacher is the answer. Perhaps the pursuit isn't worth it anymore I don't know, I'm personally tired of looking for the answers. I thought I had found it with weirwilles stuff, then stfs stuff, but it was just an illusion. So I will have to go on in life without that security blanket of thinking I know the truth and just accept I know very little about the absolute truth. I guess I can do that. God bless.

I used to think there was comfort in "knowing that I know that I know, ad infinitum". I now realize there is a sense of relief in accepting I'm not as smart as I once thought. It gives me the freedom to explore, to change, to learn in ways that I may have avoided in the past. It was a bit scary, at first, learning my foundation was built on something defective. Wierwille used to say "You can't go beyond what you're taught." My wish for you is that you discover how very wrong he was about that.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ImLikeSoConfused said:

I appreciate your honesty and believe it or not I can relate to all you’ve said.

If I’m one of the people you’ve directed these questions -  I'd just like to ask you two above me if after getting out of the way and that mindset if your faith withered? If it did to what point does it remain?” then I’ll shoot for transparency in what I’m going to say.

Initially when I left TWI (after 12 years of involvement), I felt like I was damaged goods – not even sure I had faith. It’s been a long journey since 1986 but I now tend to think my genuine Christian faith has not withered (if by faith you mean remaining loyal to God, having my hope set on Jesus Christ, sensing some connection to God…stuff like that; .....btw, I was a Christian long before getting involved in TWI); reflecting on my time in TWI I now see that I had misplaced faith – as I said to you on that other thread (the link in my previous post) so much of wierwille’s stuff was just feel-good Pablum and false hopes. That misplaced faith has indeed withered away.

By nature I am a technical person and have always believed that given enough time I can figure out how most things work. I think it was Charles Kettering the famed inventor who said a problem well-stated is half-solved. That’s a pretty cool concept – but even before that, one must realize that there is a problem. All was “wonderful” in way-world for most of my 12 year stint – “wonderful” in terms of thinking I was living a spiritual life, on the right track for learning all there is to know about the Bible and that if I kept at it I would reap all the benefits promised by wierwille.

It wasn’t until the turmoil, confusion, frustration and power struggles that set in after wierwille’s death that I became aware of a problem. A question kept coming to the forefront of my mind:

If this ministry had more of the rightly divided Bible than any other group then how could all this be happening?

Like I said earlier, a problem well-stated is half-solved. That question ignited the critical thinking process – and a seemingly endless flood of questions flowed from that first one – which gave me direction on what to pursue. What does it mean to rightly divide the word of truth? Trying to understand what was happening in our group or comparing other groups led me down many avenues like studying church government – what does the New Testament say about that?

Similar to you with your questions about Schoenheit’s credentials and accuracy – I started double-checking wierwille’s Greek and even his credentials (both very shabby in a lot of areas). I would go to the library, buy commentaries, systematic theologies, biblical language references, etc. at stores and estate sales (did I mention I like to read? :biglaugh: ).

I don’t mean to shoot down any pursuits you have but maybe I can suggest something. I’ve found that sometimes re-stating a problem can often reveal more options on how to resolve it. How about re-stating something you said “Perhaps I never will find the absolute truth” – into something a little more down to earth. When analyzing someone’s teaching maybe you could ask is that true to the Greek text? Nowadays with so much free stuff online it’s easy to find out if so-called teachers are pulling any shenanigans on biblical languages.

Another question might be - is that true to the natural sense of the Scriptures? To be honest – there’s a lot of passages that don’t make much sense to me – like in the book of Revelation. But I still enjoy reading it – there is still a lot that can be gleaned from it. But in my opinion STF’s REV translation of John 1 does not stay true to the natural sense of the context – and for that matter it does not stay true to the Greek text either.

As a final note, I would like to express the tenuous nature of my faith. This goes along the lines of Waysider’s recent honest and brilliant post above -  I believe TWI followers have a false confidence that is based on distorted doctrine from a shyster. I could be wrong on a lot of things but I’m not in this for winning any theological or philosophical debates. Acknowledging our weaknesses, shortcomings, ignorance, and failures keeps it real. We’re all bozos on the same bus. Stay true to your moral compass and have fun exploring the Christian faith!

Feel free to private message me – or anyone else who offers – about recommending some study helps while on the journey of faith.

Love and peace

T-Bone

Edited by T-Bone
clarity

2 hours ago, ImLikeSoConfused said:

I do NOT believe (have faith) the same way I did when I was a child (young adult being led around by wierwille and wierwillites). I very much believe there is a higher power than us.

I believe the bible gives clues about there being something/someone far bigger than our human minds and imaginations can comprehend.

I believe organized religion... including cults... aren't about truth. They are about ways people interact and rules subcultures put in place to provide some semblance of order to those "micro-societies." They are about "belonging." And belonging is a fundamental need of humans. You can get a sense of belonging from a religious group, or from many other kinds of groups. It's about finding common interests.

I believe T-Bone's insight on this thread is tremendously valuable... and Waysider's is too. I don't believe there is one right way to believe. Long ago, I realized that the more I know (learn), the more I realize I don't know.

I encourage you to continue exploring the questions you've posed at GSC.

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

I wonder, ImLikeSoConfused, if this article resonates with you regarding the questions you've posed to us here at GSC (not just this thread).

The title is "59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why."

I don't know if there is any solution to the rise of millenials not going to church but I think its just part of the falling away talked about in the bible. People my age don't want God but things. I'll be a jesus freak to the day I die regardless of what others around me my age or not are doing. When thinking of the way I think is it okay for good to result from evil? And clearly an answer is not so easy to come by because evil harms people. I have been hurt by weirwille indirectly from his books but also i gained in some ways. The hurt came from what he said wasn't true but the gain came from the things in his message that was true. Although I know a lot of the stuff he said about the law of believing isn't true. You can't control others with your mind but I believe to a much lower extent that faith and believing are core christian principles and very important in our day to day life. We can't do just like Jesus and heal the lame or blind no matter how much we truly believe but if we believe in the correct things and have faith things will work out whether in this life or the next we can stand to benefit more than someone who is fearful. Not to say like in his example that fear can lead to the death of someones son but i believe fear is bad because it does bind you and make you trapped by it. So like I said I don't know what part of his books he wrote or didn't but I no longer care. All I can do is focus on what I learned from my experience applying his principles and what didn't work I throw out. What did work I keep. I don't want to just throw everything out because there was some benefit and truth to what some of he said. But you could say the same thing about what satan told adam and eve. Half truths are definitely from the enemy.

So while I won't recommend anyone read his material I'd like to write a free book combining everything I learned not just from his material but from my experiences with it, with what works and what doesn't and to what extent these things work to have something to read that is all good and all biblical. None of the half truths but give people the whole truth not just wishful thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

You ask: Is John Schoenheiht Legit.  Hell, ask him.  go to the STF site and test the waters.  Of course, you will then get only one point of view.  Here on GSC you will get another point of view (most posters here on GSC utterly hate any TWI off-shoots = TWI/VPW pollution).

I am not a big STF follower though I do provide some monetary contributions (as I also do to GSC) and do like reading their REV (with some reservations to the personal bias of JS).

Most folks here on GSC hate, and I don't mean dislike, they hate JS and STF, primarily because of having a past existence with TWI.

You are now in a position to pick and choose, exercise that option.

Doesn't fresh air taste good?

1 hour ago, MRAP said:

You ask: Is John Schoenheiht Legit.  Hell, ask him.  go to the STF site and test the waters.  Of course, you will then get only one point of view.  Here on GSC you will get another point of view (most posters here on GSC utterly hate any TWI off-shoots = TWI/VPW pollution).

I am not a big STF follower though I do provide some monetary contributions (as I also do to GSC) and do like reading their REV (with some reservations to the personal bias of JS).

Most folks here on GSC hate, and I don't mean dislike, they hate JS and STF, primarily because of having a past existence with TWI.

Now you're inside the minds and hearts of people you've never seen? Why so your words sound so bitter?

Edited by Rocky

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:57 AM, Rocky said:

Now you're inside the minds and hearts of people you've never seen? Why so your words sound so bitter?

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, MRAP said:

Excuse me, MRAP, but I hope you realize how hurtful it is to say, "Most folks here on GSC hate, and I don't mean dislike, they hate JS and STF, primarily because of having a past existence with TWI."

That's a terrible accusation. I happen to be one of the "most folks here on GSC" and I do NOT hate anyone. I am asking you to consider apologizing for that statement.

It is true many of us have serious concerns about TWI offshoots and for very good reasons. But those reasons, at least for me, do not include any personal hatred for the people who run those offshoots.

My concerns include these things: I think some groups run by former TWI leaders and biblical researchers use various techniques of mind control just like VPW used. For instance, if you question their authority, you're the one with a problem. Freedom of inquiry is not encouraged. Their position on the inerrancy of Scripture is firmly in place, just like in TWI. (that is a hallmark of fundamentalism). New Testament dogma, primarily based on Paul's epistles, is the most important thing, not the simple Golden Rule. Non-negotiable dogmas, like the Bible is THE WORD OF GOD (really? men wrote it, translators worked on it, versions were formed, etc. etc.), promoted in these Bible groups often bring emotional and intellectual harm to followers. Critical thinking atrophies. Love is lost. That is what worries me.

BTW, I happen to have known most of these "offshoot" leaders during my TWI days. I do not like what they are doing, but I do not hate them. There is a difference, at least to me.

Cheers,

Penworks

• Upvote 3

Now, now, Penworks, don't give them any mind.....

The screeds with blanket accusations about how the GSC is full of anger are always posted by people posting with lots of emotion, and serve to salve their feelings about why so many people disagree with them.  "Oh, you can't take their opinions seriously-they're full of anger!"  Then they go off, smug that their worldview is still unchallenged.

http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheFoxandtheGrapes2

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Now, now, Penworks, don't give them any mind.....

The screeds with blanket accusations about how the GSC is full of anger are always posted by people posting with lots of emotion, and serve to salve their feelings about why so many people disagree with them.  "Oh, you can't take their opinions seriously-they're full of anger!"  Then they go off, smug that their worldview is still unchallenged.

http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheFoxandtheGrapes2

:rolleyes:

Edited by penworks

• 2 weeks later...

John Schoenheit is not legitimate, but not out of deliberate malice. "Delude" comes from the Latin word that means "to play." Wierwille played us, and trained us to play other people. JS is so focused on how "right" the things he teaches are, that he never even considers that something he's already made up his mind about might be wrong. "Logic dictates" that JS is correct! The doctrine JS teaches is delusional.

JS is a naturally kind person. If you disagree with him, he doesn't get mean or angry. He simply refuses to engage with your thinking, and ignores everything you have to say. I speak from personal experience.

More later...

Love,

Steve   

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 11:47 PM, ImLikeSoConfused said:

Dear Confused, I think you are on the right track.  If I can offer my two cents, perhaps if you keep reading posts from the GSC, you might find the answers to your questions.  I think if you are patient, and keep digging, you may find answers to your questions.

On 2/18/2017 at 5:55 PM, ImLikeSoConfused said:

Confused, bingo!!!  Now, you are starting to understand!!  I am only speaking for myself,  but I have been a Christian for over 40 years now, and still know very little about God.  Your views on the Absolute Truth may vary over time; I know mine have.  Keep searching, and keep digging, but don't kill yourself about God.  The greatest cargoes(sp?) in life come in over quite seas.  Ask Him, and He will give you answers.

On 3/19/2017 at 3:38 PM, penworks said:

Excuse me, MRAP, but I hope you realize how hurtful it is to say, "Most folks here on GSC hate, and I don't mean dislike, they hate JS and STF, primarily because of having a past existence with TWI."

That's a terrible accusation. I happen to be one of the "most folks here on GSC" and I do NOT hate anyone. I am asking you to consider apologizing for that statement.

It is true many of us have serious concerns about TWI offshoots and for very good reasons. But those reasons, at least for me, do not include any personal hatred for the people who run those offshoots.

My concerns include these things: I think some groups run by former TWI leaders and biblical researchers use various techniques of mind control just like VPW used. For instance, if you question their authority, you're the one with a problem. Freedom of inquiry is not encouraged. Their position on the inerrancy of Scripture is firmly in place, just like in TWI. (that is a hallmark of fundamentalism). New Testament dogma, primarily based on Paul's epistles, is the most important thing, not the simple Golden Rule. Non-negotiable dogmas, like the Bible is THE WORD OF GOD (really? men wrote it, translators worked on it, versions were formed, etc. etc.), promoted in these Bible groups often bring emotional and intellectual harm to followers. Critical thinking atrophies. Love is lost. That is what worries me.

BTW, I happen to have known most of these "offshoot" leaders during my TWI days. I do not like what they are doing, but I do not hate them. There is a difference, at least to me.

Cheers,

Penworks

Thank you Penworks!  I also post a lot on the GSC; it keeps me from shoveling food into my mouth all day.  I don't hate anyone; there are people that I dislike, but I don't hate anyone from any off-shoot.  I'm sure that many people dislike me, but I can't think of anyone who hates me.  Hate, and dislike are two very different concepts.