GreaseSpot Cafe

Another discussion on SiT and the Bible

Since we're going around in circles on SIT again, I thought it made sense to have a fresh, new thread in which to rehash the same points without anyone changing their minds on anything. So, here it is.

As for the previous threads, they can be reread for hours and hours of discussion, much of which made legitimate points that were worth posting and reading. For those who want to know about the secular activity named "free vocalization" (important if you want to discuss the modern practice called SIT, there's a separate thread just for that here:

If one feels the need to actually get back into the discussion of what a language IS and IS NOT, and how they work, we had this thread:

The discussion of SIT from the skeptical perspective is here:

The very long thread in About the Way had most of the discussion.  

An attempt at restarting that thread was also made. 

Finally, there was an original thread in Doctrinal about this one.

Anyone who wants to reference the material from those threads can certainly do so.

I went looking for this post and was pleased to find it. It outlines why I believe the word "tongues" and the word "languages" are interchangeable in the context of this subject. Tongues in the Bible were always known human languages, whether or not they were understood by the speaker or audience.

• 2 weeks later...