GreaseSpot Cafe

Revival and Restoration

OldSkool

23 hours ago, penworks said:

Love you, Socks and DWBH!

Had to say in passing one more thing - after all these years and tears, these R and R people ("rest and relaxation"?) are being said to have "noticed" and "seen" some things that were wrong. It sounds so normal - like "I went outside and noticed that the air was a tad chilly." But under these circumstances saying they "noticed" something wrong is like saying they went outside and "noticed" the snow was piled 3 feet high in the streets and it was so cold their breath froze....and as if it had just happened and was such a surprise! Or like saying...the people in Houston "noticed it was raining and decided to call it Hurricane Harvey".

When I saw the video of those people going on about how what they had "seen" was so wrong, I LOL'd.  Really, I don't usually LOL like that but that day I did, and I went to my study (AKA "The Garage Shoppe") and laughed even more, upon reflection. Why did you LOL so, socks? you might ask. Well - read on. 

The Way's been in a rag tag dyslexic nose dive for decades. Then this. 

Lurking below the exodus and the bladdy-blah  the question wafts by....

What was it that really sparked the exodus?

I'll stop, with that question and call it a year. But for those of us who have seen and heard this merry-go-round going round and round so many times over the years we know there's usually something going on a little deeper down that not everyone knows yet. Something that made it personal.....finally. 

Peace!!! See you round!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

Me, I think it's retirement- and lack thereof.  They want to jump ship now and secure some kind of nest egg since twi, among other things, won't give them that.

Yes, retirement or closing-in-on-retirement..........AND.........the fact that rosa-lie wanted to set up a "retiree" program with hoops and reporting back.  Being micromanaged for decades was hard, for sure.......but, to be micromanaged at their age and OFF PAYROLL was a bridge too far.

I think this "perfect storm" hit them from several sides at once.......and they'd FINALLY had enough.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, penguin2 said:

I never served at any of the top levels of the Way, but I did graduate from the corpse.  I did hold some leadership positions. When I finally left twi, I told God I didn't want to lead again because I was that torn up about having misled people either into the lies or deeper into the lies and slavery of twi. I spent several years after I left reevaluating ALL of my beliefs.  I think anyone who leaves needs time to decompress and reevaluate. I wouldn't even read KJV because of the ruts in my brain that led to twi beliefs. I'm still in process.

Penguin2, your post resonates with me on many of your points! I think the corps program did a “great “ job of typecasting…pigeonholing people…regardless of the individual’s strengths and weaknesses…the way corps program was a glorified indoctrination process that homogenized folks into a lean mean PFAL-sales and support machine.

I never considered myself to be the front-man leadership type according to TWI’s standards…before or after TWI involvement…I’m more of the support or project management type…I think some of the corps I knew just got it in their heads that they went through the corps program so they felt they earned the right to lead others – and more often than not, the gung-ho types led like a bull in a china closet…using more force than finesse.

Yeah I like your “ruts in the brain” phrase…there oughta be a commercial “friend, do you suffer from brain-ruts?” and then cue up the prescription Unrutify ( I get a kick out of some of the names they come up with for prescriptions – like Abilify – I think it sounds like something embarrassing as in “when the teacher told me my son said he learned all those bad words from me I was so abilified!”)…

…I know what you mean about getting away from KJV – I would get PFAL-pop-ups when reading certain parts – remembering what wierwille said about it. Like you said reevaluating is important. And I think a good follow-up to that is reorganize or reconfigure. I have quite a few translations in my modest library along with commentaries and bible studies. Seems to work for me anyway – same for physical surroundings. Sometimes I reorganize the garage, change up tool bags or what hand tools I carry to work. I don’t know why – but changing things up is fun and sometimes gets me to tackle a familiar problem in a new way.

Edited by T-Bone
details
  • Upvote 1

On 1/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, skyrider said:

Yes, retirement or closing-in-on-retirement..........AND.........the fact that rosa-lie wanted to set up a "retiree" program with hoops and reporting back.  Being micromanaged for decades was hard, for sure.......but, to be micromanaged at their age and OFF PAYROLL was a bridge too far.

I think this "perfect storm" hit them from several sides at once.......and they'd FINALLY had enough.

39615484261_0d8d2995e4_c.jpg

Plus, none of them had the impressive hair to join this Hair Lineup 2017 with the following hairstyles (in order):

Faux-Hawk - Combover Edition

Faux-Hawk - Grecian Formula Edition

Toilet Brush

Q Tip

Mormon Missionary

Mormon Missionary - Female Edition

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chockfull said:

39615484261_0d8d2995e4_c.jpg

Plus, none of them had the impressive hair to join this Hair Lineup 2017 with the following hairstyles (in order):

Faux-Hawk - Combover Edition

Faux-Hawk - Grecian Formula Edition

Toilet Brush

Q Tip

Mormon Missionary

Mormon Missionary - Female Edition

Roflmao!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I grew up in twi. Something never sat right with me. At 18 I bailed and never looked back. I just read “the cult that snapped and I was blown away that anyone would want to have anything to do with TWI. My parents and family friends stayed in, until just recently they got out when this R&R thing came about. I’m Leary of it, as are the parents. They’re ....ed bc they feel betrayed. I think they were blinded and just followed instead of thinking for themselves. I was told from someone in the know that Rico was going a different direction in Florida and that he “got revelation from God” that he should run the new ministry. We’ll see where this ends up. I have a great church I go to that doesn’t hound me if I miss a Sunday. It works for me so I think I’ll stick with that. 

• Like 2

Welcome, Stillconfused.  I hope you'll find that this site unpicks some of the TWI blindness.   Whatever the reason you and your family have got out, you'll find things here that help you get your mind back in order.  There are, or were, others here who "grew up" in TWI.  There must be a lot of baggage for you to offload.  Perhaps you could tell us something of your story, only as much as you're comfortable with, in the New Members section.  Meantime, let's see if we can't find a cup of coffee for you.

Edited by Twinky
Can't get the waiter's attention

6 hours ago, Stillconfused said:

I grew up in twi. Something never sat right with me. At 18 I bailed and never looked back. I just read “the cult that snapped and I was blown away that anyone would want to have anything to do with TWI. My parents and family friends stayed in, until just recently they got out when this R&R thing came about. I’m Leary of it, as are the parents. They’re ....ed bc they feel betrayed. I think they were blinded and just followed instead of thinking for themselves. I was told from someone in the know that Rico was going a different direction in Florida and that he “got revelation from God” that he should run the new ministry. We’ll see where this ends up. I have a great church I go to that doesn’t hound me if I miss a Sunday. It works for me so I think I’ll stick with that. 

“It works for me so I think I’ll stick with that” - I like the way you think…that’s also my modus operandi in a nutshell -  

Welcome to Grease Spot,   Still Confused…enjoy a cup of cappuccino on me !

90340007fdafb8ba6e65e84cec4face2.jpg

9 hours ago, Stillconfused said:

Hi Stillconfused.  Welcome.  Good for you bailing at 18.  You spared yourself some heartache.  Leary is an appropriate attitude towards these Pharisees.   The R&R thing to me seems option B on a retirement plan when the first one didn't work out.  I'm not surprised to hear Rico is "going a different direction" and "got revelation from God" to run a new ministry.  The revelation he got from God to run the last one didn't work out so well for him, and now he's in need of a job.   I think the great local church is a better option.  

And welcome to the spot.

Seeing DF mentioned earlier in this thread brought back a memory

I happened to be at a restaurant once that had a drive-thru window, and DF just happened to be driving the car that was right at the drive-thru window when I was standing nearby

DF asked the man taking his order at the drive-thru window for a glass of water, and the man told him that the restaurant charged 10 cents, and DF began yelling very loudly and obnoxiously "10 cents for water?"

I watched as the man at the drive-thru patiently explained that the water was given free as a courtesy, but the 10 cents was charged to cover the restaurant's cost for the plastic cup.

I don't remember what DF replied, but he floored it and drove off very aggressively and very angry in a huff and a puff!

Later I heard from reliable sources that he did not have money and had been asking people for money for food, but that he was using the money for spirits

So storing up all the money at HQ and not providing for people on the field probably also contributed problems for the futures of people on the field, in a way that was not anticipated by people on the field, who may have started out with the best of intentions

I had other interactions with DF over a few years, some negative, some positive, and some positively creepy

I may share more of them later

On 1/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, skyrider said:

I was just reflecting back upon how many of those clowns in that picture row micro managed me for many years when I was OFF PAYROLL.  Didn't care about me, my family.  Didn't care about any long term goals for people's lives.  Kept imposing more and more stupid rules.  Kept making people move at their own expense, to increase their control over them and dependency upon them.  Kept reducing the amount of even Bible teaching was available, and censored it to previously published works in an enclosed system.   Kept increasing Pharisaical man-made rules every year.  These rules made the burden lighter on those at the top and the burden greater on those downstream.  Volunteers bear the brunt of the Pharisee's doctrine and practice.

The head Pharisees use the standard of their own twisted, egotistical, and demented lives to impose restrictions on others.  Jesus Christ as the cornerstone all measurements proceed from is notably absent.

Edited by chockfull

12 hours ago, chockfull said:

The head Pharisees use the standard of their own twisted, egotistical, and demented lives to impose restrictions on others.

John Rupp called that accumulated wisdom....lol...appareantly there is years of that stuff floating around at the director level.

11 hours ago, OldSkool said:

John Rupp called that accumulated wisdom....lol...appareantly there is years of that stuff floating around at the director level.

I see it.  It comes to a point literally in the form of a Grecian Formula Faux-Hawk there for him.   Such growth from the hair of younger years.  LOL.

Bruno-Mars-for-desktop.jpg

In the photo, who's the man nearest the camera?  I probably ought to recognise him, but it's been a long time.  No idea who the two youngsters might be.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:03 PM, socks said:

Had to say in passing one more thing - after all these years and tears, these R and R people ("rest and relaxation"?) are being said to have "noticed" and "seen" some things that were wrong. It sounds so normal - like "I went outside and noticed that the air was a tad chilly." But under these circumstances saying they "noticed" something wrong is like saying they went outside and "noticed" the snow was piled 3 feet high in the streets and it was so cold their breath froze....and as if it had just happened and was such a surprise! Or like saying...the people in Houston "noticed it was raining and decided to call it Hurricane Harvey".

When I saw the video of those people going on about how what they had "seen" was so wrong, I LOL'd.  Really, I don't usually LOL like that but that day I did, and I went to my study (AKA "The Garage Shoppe") and laughed even more, upon reflection. Why did you LOL so, socks? you might ask. Well - read on. 

The Way's been in a rag tag dyslexic nose dive for decades. Then this. 

Lurking below the exodus and the bladdy-blah  the question wafts by....

What was it that really sparked the exodus?

I'll stop, with that question and call it a year. But for those of us who have seen and heard this merry-go-round going round and round so many times over the years we know there's usually something going on a little deeper down that not everyone knows yet. Something that made it personal.....finally. 

Peace!!! See you round!

Socks, excellent post!!  I too wonder why it took decades for the people in R&R, to jump ship.  I would like to know what it was that made them leave TWI, when they did.  But I suspect that a lot of it had to do with money.  

18 hours ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Always good reading you Twinky! :wave:

Just wanted to say always good reading you too DWBH (and Twinky too).  Our lives never intersected in the Way - I never actually read you all's long letter (or JS paper or POOP) until much later as we were all shielded from any of that and I had no connections to provide it to me.  Any reference I heard of any of that was tainted with whitewash slant.   I was kind of overlapping generations here coming in upon your exit.  There are others that way with my timeline - coming in as I was exiting.   It's like with the Way there are pockets of fantasyland that exist out there - all living in suspended animation in reality.  

On this site we all intersect in some fashion to tell an extended story that has been hidden as part of history to most Wayfers.   Is that the Great Mystery Revealed?  Or is that a great mystery revealed? Probably neither.  Whatever it is, it's no longer a mystery to me like it was when I was on paint crew whitewashing LOL

Best always.

chockfull    

Edited by chockfull
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, chockfull said:

On this site we all intersect in some fashion to tell an extended story that has been hidden as part of history to most Wayfers.   Is that the Great Mystery Revealed? 

Love it!

I was witnessed to by a WoW in the UK in 1985.  Went in rez in Ohio about 1991-93 then led a WoW team in another country.  There was a strong suggestion I might be recalled to the US in some capacity after that, a prospect that filled me with dread.  Got myself DFAC'd instead in Feb 1995 (I think).  Thoroughly indoctrinated (and having given up a potentially very good career and all my friends and family), I was desperately miserable for a decade until I discovered the Cafe.  Then, I was appalled.  And then - I was set free - yay!!!! :dance:

In the UK, I got to meet with a number of European believers, including US and UK trained Corps.  While I was in the USA I travelled a bit and met / stayed with a few believers and got to know lots of others at ministry events like RoA and special events.  I met DWBH (and several of you other posters here.  Hi T-Bone!) a few years later in Texas. 

How does that fit with your dates, Chocky?  You have said before, but I've forgotten.

• Upvote 1