GreaseSpot Cafe

Offshoots - Splinter Groups : How Many Are There?

On 12/24/2017 at 10:05 AM, Taxidev said:

I just recently stumbled upon a site called Christian Outreach Fellowships, and a free class offered by them taught by Vince Finnegan.  That names sounds vaguely familiar, but I place from where.  Anyone here have any experience with him?

Taxi, VF was BIG in TWI.  DWBH has had some intresting things to say about Vince.  Personally, I like Vince; he is bright, and very personable.  But, I stay away from any splinter groups-as far away as possible.  Vince has his Living Hope Ministry in Latham, New York.  His son Sean helps him run it.  He has a lot of former TWI members in his ministry. I used to attend fellowships there.  

I am not aware of VF being "exclusionary" or "elitist" in the sense of his group being the only group that gets saved. I would say that is inconsistent with the character of the man whose teachings I followed throughout most of the 1990s. It's been ages, so that could have changed. I would be surprised as a matter of character, but not as a matter of potential.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Taxidev said:

I believe this group got its name because of LCM claiming if you walk away from TWI you'd be a grease spot by midnight.  So, not much different.

You are correct. We all left twi, facing lcm's claim we'd all be "grease spots by midnight." Midnight has come and gone, and we're living our lives, thank you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cwb01 said:

I still believe there will be a new earth for those who have accepted Jesus Christ as lord and savior.  There wont be so much caca there.  There is just too much caca in this present world,.

A) I agree, but not everyone here does.

B) I agree again, but where there's people, I expect there will always be SOME caca, and I think it's referred to in prophecies of what's to come.

C)  I agree, and the splinters know there's lots of money in shoveling this caca around and selling it in one form or another.

3 hours ago, Raf said:

I am not aware of VF being "exclusionary" or "elitist" in the sense of his group being the only group that gets saved. I would say that is inconsistent with the character of the man whose teachings I followed throughout most of the 1990s. It's been ages, so that could have changed. I would be surprised as a matter of character, but not as a matter of potential.

What little time I spent live with him (and Sean, for that matter)  made positive impressions on me.  Then again, I can say the same of Geer, and he was nuts when I wasn't in the room with him.  I know VF was defending Geer's "God doesn't know everything" doctrine even when he wasn't making sense doing it. (Really, VF?  "Maybe God Almighty didn't know what the 'signs' meant in the Heavens when he MADE the 'signs'?"  You mean He was following a careful design but He had no idea what He was designing or why?) 

Add that to the normal consequences of "you can lose your salvation" and it's a recipe for disaster.  The questions are "when" and "how big" and "what type of disaster".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Raf said:

To be fair to Vince,  I was going by what one of his followers said to me and not something Vince himself said.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:35 PM, cwb01 said:

I fellowship with a lot of Christians who believe somebody can lose their salvation.   Even though I disagree with them on this particular issue,  I have no problem working together with them.  The big problem I had was the reason this person from Vince Finnegan's offshoot told me I could lose my salvation.  He basically told me if I go with any group other than Vince's that would mean loss of salvation.  According to him,  you could lose your salvation for merely hanging out with a any Christian other than those who are following Vince..  To me,  that is far worse than anything I was ever told by anybody from TWI or the other offshoots.  I am just wondering if Vince holds the same viewpoint as one of his followers.  I am assuming the follower who told me I was going to lose my salvation for hanging out with Christians other than Vince's group got this idea from Vince's teaching.  

Don't you just love it when one man decides what God is going to decide regarding another man's salvation?

That line of thinking is looney in the tooney LOL.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chockfull said:

Don't you just love it when one man decides what God is going to decide regarding another man's salvation?

That line of thinking is looney in the tooney LOL.

Amen brother!

• 4 months later...
On 7/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, WordWolf said:

What little time I spent live with him (and Sean, for that matter)  made positive impressions on me.  Then again, I can say the same of Geer, and he was nuts when I wasn't in the room with him.  I know VF was defending Geer's "God doesn't know everything" doctrine even when he wasn't making sense doing it. (Really, VF?  "Maybe God Almighty didn't know what the 'signs' meant in the Heavens when he MADE the 'signs'?"  You mean He was following a careful design but He had no idea what He was designing or why?) 

Add that to the normal consequences of "you can lose your salvation" and it's a recipe for disaster.  The questions are "when" and "how big" and "what type of disaster".

Raf, great post!!  Raf rocks!!

On 12/24/2017 at 10:05 AM, Taxidev said:

I just recently stumbled upon a site called Christian Outreach Fellowships, and a free class offered by them taught by Vince Finnegan.  That names sounds vaguely familiar, but I place from where.  Anyone here have any experience with him?

Taxi, I used to attend his fellowship in Latham, NY.  I had great experiences with Vince.  I think Vince is a man people either really like, or they dislike him intensely.  

6 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Raf, great post!!  Raf rocks!!

Thanks for the kudos on the post, but I posted that, not Raf.    I definitely still rock (the other day, someone asked me about what Sex Pistols songs I liked,), but I don't know what Raf's listening to these days.   

I could see how someone who met us in passing might mistake us for each other, but our POSTING STYLES resemble each other, as well?   That's interesting.

On 12/5/2018 at 12:18 PM, WordWolf said:

Thanks for the kudos on the post, but I posted that, not Raf.    I definitely still rock (the other day, someone asked me about what Sex Pistols songs I liked,), but I don't know what Raf's listening to these days.   

I could see how someone who met us in passing might mistake us for each other, but our POSTING STYLES resemble each other, as well?   That's interestingW

On 12/5/2018 at 12:18 PM, WordWolf said:

I could see how someone who met us in passing might mistake us for each other, but our POSTING STYLES resemble each other, as well?   That's interesting.

WW, I am so sorry!!  Right church, wrong pew!!

On 7/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, WordWolf said:

A) I agree, but not everyone here does.

B) I agree again, but where there's people, I expect there will always be SOME caca, and I think it's referred to in prophecies of what's to come.

C)  I agree, and the splinters know there's lots of money in shoveling this caca around and selling it in one form or another.

WW, I think money is the main reason splinter groups are created; many of them are full of S--t, but the lure of money to some is very appealing.

2 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

WW, I think money is the main reason splinter groups are created; many of them are full of S--t, but the lure of money to some is very appealing.

And that their "leaders" don't know how to make a living otherwise.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Hey-  vpw started twi to make money- as much as possible, as easily as possible.  These are true offshoots- also looking to make money off of religion.

WW, true!!  He made a S--t load of money from TWI. To this day, it angers me, that the majority of TWI workers are so poorly-paid, and live in such miserable poverty.  How is that Godly??  Gee, no wonder why so few people want to work at TWI; I wouldn't work there.

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, Raf said:

Sigh.

Vince has been teaching, for at least 20 years, that you could lose your salvation.

Here's a book recommendation for you. :)

Goodness! For a moment I wasn't sure if you were being hyper legalistic and Wayish LOL! :nono5:

I had to re-read your quote (with commas added), and book recommendation link to see the smiley face and ask my hubby what he thought!!!  I really hope you were amused and not P.O'd about my comment. :who_me:

Hubby and I have learned that laughter truly is the best medicine. Without a sense of humor we'd all be goners. I think that may have been one of the reasons why we were excommunicated :) :dance:

• Like 1